CFZ The Defense saved our season; The offense must improve

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Now it's time the defense will struggle and CEEDEE will have some 100 yard games

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dak is easily 2 TD's better. So remove a FG from that, and punt from that from what we got from Cooper in those 2 possessions. That is 11 points. Easily.
Good.

Then I expect to see some harsh criticism from you if we don't average 32 PPG here on out with Dak, okay?

This season we're averaging 3 PPG with Dak just for reference.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Then we’re missing a ST TD.

Offensive TDs and FGs is 17.5 PPG.
Then you gotta remove all that from the average when Dak comes back.

We'll revisit this 4 games from now and see where we're at.

That'll be 5 games with Dak and 5 games without him.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Then you gotta remove all that from the average when Dak comes back.

We'll revisit this 4 games from now and see where we're at.

That'll be 5 games with Dak and 5 games without him.

Yea, of course.

An offense averaging 21 PPG isn’t good and 17 is borderline awful.

If Dak comes back after several games is in that ballpark for his faults I’ll be the first to put blame on him.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
A major tip of the cap to Cooper Rush and the job he did as a solid backup QB to hold this team together the last 5 games. He played within himself and his limitations.

But if we’re being completely objective, the reason this team saved its season is even simpler: it’s the defense. Without the top shelf performance of this defense, we would probably be 2-4.

Here’s some evidence:
  • Our offense is averaging 18 points a game. That’s not sustainable to have a deep playoff run. If the offense doesn’t improve. this will quickly just be another year added to the last 26.
  • The defense is leading the league in sacks, is 4th against the pass and 19th against the run. That’s incredible.
  • The defense is only giving up 16 points a game, but with the offense only averaging 18, it makes the defense be the one carrying the weight of whether we can win. That’s not sustainable.
  • Our STs have also been outstanding. A blocked punt, blocked FG, improvements in the return game and Brett Maher has been an early surprise.
  • On the rare game the defense cannot hold opponents under 18, the offense MUST be able to rise to the occasion to carry the team on occasion.
The Cowboys defense has saved our season so far. But if this is going to be something more than what we’ve been the last 26 seasons, the offense has to make major improvements.

Not gonna happen when you have Dak “Magic 40 Million Dollar Mike” Prescott leading the offense with the 3 “drop every ball thrown our way” stooges as WRs. Don’t forget the TE by committee group we have and our RBs who decide what games they want to play good in before the game even start. This will be much easier said than done.

75boyz

Reaction score
I always with held some of the team success failure from the QB if saddled with a totally inept defense. I strongly considered this in judging the QB especially if the offense was productive but with no defensive help.

I do not believe this year's defense can be considered for the normal scapegoat lists of the past for this team.

This QB really needs to prove himself this year with this kinda defense supporting him.

Put up or shut up if ya ask me.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The defense is leading the league in sacks, is 4th against the pass and 19th against the run. That’s incredible.

It a going issue for years.......If I'm Jerry, I'm hell-bent on fixing this during the off-season at any cost.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I wonder how much we work on red zone efficiency and what we actually do to improve it.
It seems when we get into the red zone we simply stall and opt for field goals rather than touchdown.
It's the darndest thing, but it happens year after year.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I always with held some of the team success failure from the QB if saddled with a totally inept defense. I strongly considered this in judging the QB especially if the offense was productive but with no defensive help.

I do not believe this year's defense can be considered for the normal scapegoat lists of the past for this team.

This QB really needs to prove himself this year with this kinda defense supporting him.

Put up or shut up if ya ask me

Yep!

For years, it's been the defense that has been holding us back - or at least that's been the argument.

Now, we have the defense, and the pass protection isn't looking all that bad, even with a rookie LT.

It's your turn now, Dak.

No more excuses.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Now it's time the defense will struggle and CEEDEE will have some 100 yard games

Statistically, he’s played better with Rush than Prescott. His last 100 yard game and all 4 of his last 4 TDs were with Rush, dating backs. Calendar year. Since Minnesota last year he’s had 15 consecutive sub-100 games, the majority of those with Dak.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good.

Then I expect to see some harsh criticism from you if we don't average 32 PPG here on out with Dak, okay?

This season we're averaging 3 PPG with Dak just for reference.

No it will be around 28. As others schooled you, take away the defensive TD's.
And the 28 may take a few games as the rust gets knocked off.
If criticism is needed, I will give it.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yep!

For years, it's been the defense that has been holding us back - or at least that's been the argument.

Now, we have the defense, and the pass protection isn't looking all that bad, even with a rookie LT.

It's your turn now, Dak.

No more excuses.

Can not even consider seeing it any other way.

Those that have always been the "blame everything but the QB" crowd here are already igs and scroll pasts so it won't bother me regardless, lol.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
1 defensive TD in 5 games that made our average with Rush go from 21 PPG to 20 PPG. You thought it would make a big difference, didn't ya?

Dak don't get a few games to knock the rust off. He doesn't get to use games that matter as "practice" games. He said himself that the offense is going to "roll".

Don't back track now. You said Dak is AT LEAST 2 TDS better than Rush. It will be remembered.

75boyz

Reaction score

That would be a little different as Im used to seeing lotsa OC criticism but zero HEAD coach or QB blame.

Genuine, sincere criticism that is warranted for either of these positions from you would be a welcome surprise.

Should be interesting to monitor.
Especially concerning playoff level competition.

jmo

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak is easily 2 TD's better. So remove a FG from that, and punt from that from what we got from Cooper in those 2 possessions. That is 11 points. Easily.
Prescotts lowest offensive team production in his tenure was 2018 when our offense was ranked 22nd. But that was when we begun the season 3-5 and then traded for Cooper finishing season 7-1 . I’m sure the numbers in second half of season increased significantly.

At least now we’ll know where we are when Prescott takes over and see if he can improve on this 27th ranked offense . My hunch is he can. Hopefully that will help support our highly ranked defense .

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The QB position is the most scrutinized in football. Too much credit AND too much criticism is leveled at QBs- always been that way and always will.

The thing that has changed that seems hard for some fans to understand is that the starting level QB pay scale is completely out of whack with the rest of the cap. All NFL QBs who get the second contract are vastly overpaid.

Because the QB position is the hardest to find any quality, the pay is out of whack. Which also means the fan expectations are also out of whack. Unless the QBs name is Mahomes or Allen or Brady, no QB is this league can carry their team alone. It takes a whole team.

Should a lot be expected of Dak? Yes absolutely because he is the starter. Can he carry this team? No. There are only a few QBs who can. But can he improve this offense? Yes I believe so.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1 defensive TD in 5 games that made our average with Rush go from 21 PPG to 20 PPG. You thought it would make a big difference, didn't ya?

Dak don't get a few games to knock the rust off. He doesn't get to use games that matter as "practice" games. He said himself that the offense is going to "roll".

Don't back track now. You said Dak is AT LEAST 2 TDS better than Rush. It will be remembered.

Well ok then...call out posts are coming from you then, which means nothing to me. You will not give credit for anything anyway. At least I can criticize when / if needed.

Reaction score
Dak doesn't have to be great. He needs to play in a clean and efficient manner. No turnovers.

Hero ball just gets him in trouble. And it's not necessary. Just stay within himself and he will be fine.

And the offense will improve

75boyz

Reaction score
Prescotts lowest offensive team production in his tenure was 2018 when our offense was ranked 22nd. But that was when we begun the season 3-5 and then traded for Cooper finishing season 7-1 . I’m sure the numbers in second half of season increased significantly.

At least now we’ll know where we are when Prescott takes over and see if he can improve on this 27th ranked offense . My hunch is he can. Hopefully that will help support our highly ranked defense .

Ultimately, it won't mean a thing if the offense puts up thse gaudy reg. season stats as in the past and still manages to stumble come playoff time.

Last year is prime example. 6 games in, this is the weakest NFC I've seen in recent memory. The expectation level from backup QB to starting QB offense production should be substantial. And I do expect stats improvement.

But will the offense show up when it's win or go home. Because I believe this year's defense will.

However the offense can play in postseason is my measuring stick at this point.

So far, this NFC is weak.

Should be no more excuses.

Based on their performance thus far I think the defense will do its part come playoff time. Anything can happen with injuries but that's my current opinion.

I'm more of a show me skeptic concerning how this HC and QB can perform against playoff level competition.

And again, this year's NFC playoff comp looks very beatable at this stage of the season.