The Dolphins contacted Dom Capers

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
The Dolphins contacted Dom Capers about a possible position with the team.
The 3-4 defensive guru figures to be in high demand as a coordiantor this off-season after his dismissal from the Texans.

Jan. 7 - 12:45 pm et
Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

for more updates visit http://gryphononcowboys.blogspot.com/

THE GRYPHON

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
The 3-4 defensive guru figures to be in high demand as a coordiantor this off-season after his dismissal from the Texans.

Please Jerry...fire Mike Zimmer so we can get Capers before some other team does. I would love to have a real DC here.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Wolverine said:
Please Jerry...fire Mike Zimmer so we can get Capers before some other team does. I would love to have a real DC here.

I hear ya. I couldn't agree more. Although, if we fire him, I think JJ would be on the hook for a sizable amount of his remaining contract. Didn't he just sign a pretty big deal to keep him from taking a college coaching gig last season?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hate to tell you folks but if we lose either Coordiantor we're more likely to promote from within than go get a name Coordinator.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Hate to tell you folks but if we lose either Coordiantor we're more likely to promote from within than go get a name Coordinator.

Have you been wondering around the Arizona desert again? :D

This is not the time to pop our respective baloons. I want a real DC in here.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
UPDATE: Capers contacted
link http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dollede07jan07,0,1664885.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Saban has contacted former Houston Texans head coach Dom Capers about a position on his staff, a source said Friday.

Although fired by the Texans on Monday following a 2-14 season, Capers is considered one of the NFL's top defensive coaches. Capers has already received feelers from five other teams about defensive coordinator positions, the source said.

It's unknown whether Saban is discussing a defensive coordinator role with Capers. Richard Smith currently has the Dolphins' defensive coordinator title but splits responsibilities with assistant head coach/defense Will Muschamp.

Saban declined comment about the situation through a Dolphins spokesman. Jimmy Sexton, who is the agent for Saban and Capers, didn't return two telephone calls seeking comment.

Capers, 55, was Carolina's head coach from 1995 to 1998. He also served as defensive coordinator in Jacksonville (1999 and 2000) and Pittsburgh (1992 through 1994).

Capers is especially knowledgeable about the 3-4 defensive system the Dolphins deploy.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Have you been wondering around the Arizona desert again? :D

This is not the time to pop our respective baloons. I want a real DC in here.
You can't call me the wanderer this time.

Parcells has made no bones about his desire to be the face of the Cowboys. He's not going to change directions now and go out and hire high profile coordinators.

It's just common sense thinking that he is not a let's radically change things Head Coach.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Hostile said:
You can't call me the wanderer this time.

Parcells has made no bones about his desire to be the face of the Cowboys. He's not going to change directions now and go out and hire high profile coordinators.

It's just common sense thinking that he is not a let's radically change things Head Coach.

I know you are probably right. Just hate to think we would have a Zimmer clone. Ick!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I know you are probably right. Just hate to think we would have a Zimmer clone. Ick!
If Zimmer gets a gig and succeeds the responses around here will be interesting.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Hostile said:
If Zimmer gets a gig and succeeds the responses around here will be interesting.

I'm convinced that Zimmer couldn't coach a constipated man to take a crap.

Not worried about that.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Totally agree. And I think that he will be successful.

Also agree with you about hiring from within or at least a new guy that isn't a "name" guy. BP doesn't want anyone to get the credit but himself, IMO.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Capers isn't going to want to come to Dallas. He's got too much clout as a DC to sit in Parcells shadow and take orders from him. He's going to go to a situation where the HC is an offensive minded coach who give Capers complete control over the defense.

I think the next DC will be promoted within. Probably Gary Gibbs. Unless they bring in an old Parcells guy like Pepper Johnson.

ghst187

Reaction score
well if the Dolphins pick up Capers to run their already pretty stinkin good defense, maybe we should get the Dolphins' current D coordinator to replace Zimmer. I believe the Dolphins led the league in sacks this year? Is that correct? I think they also had a franchise record total teamwise....?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
Totally agree. And I think that he will be successful.

Also agree with you about hiring from within or at least a new guy that isn't a "name" guy. BP doesn't want anyone to get the credit but himself, IMO.
I put my money on Gibbs or Pasqualoni. No one from outside except to replace whoever takes over.

Both sides of the ball.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I put my money on Giggs or Pasqualoni. No one from outside except to replace whoever takes over.

Both sides of the ball.

Yep. No way that BP lets some big name guy come in here and take ANY credit. Ego is HUGE with BP.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I put my money on Giggs or Pasqualoni. No one from outside except to replace whoever takes over.

Both sides of the ball.

I thought Pasqualoni was the double secret defensive coordinator already?

Thats what the GROZ folks were telling me during preseason...

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Gryphon said:

for more updates visit http://gryphononcowboys.blogspot.com/

THE GRYPHON
Are you the same gryph that lost the Q-Car bet with Cowboyroy and then refused to leave the DFW board?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk said:
I thought Pasqualoni was the double secret defensive coordinator already?

Thats what the GROZ folks were telling me during preseason...
yeah, I've never bought into black helicopters in football.

Just a quirk I have.