The Draft > Free Agency

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And they’ve too often made positions like DT and S filled by cheap FAs rather than premium draft picks.

DT has just been a mess b/c of Marinelli's preferences for the position. ...........We wasted a 2nd round pick on tristy hill.

The team basically overestimates its own players every off season. We have got to look at around at the successful teams and copy what they are doing b/c blazing our path sure hasn't worked. We have one of the dumbest front offices in the national football league.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DT has just been a mess b/c of Marinelli's preferences for the position. We wasted a 2nd round pick on tristy hill.

The team basically overestimates its own players every off season. We have got to look at around at the successful teams and copy what they are doing b/c blazing our path sure hasn't worked. We have one of the dumbest front offices in the national football league.

Let's hope that with the new coaching staff comes the death of the sacred cows that don't produce, like Heath and Crawford. And this 'team leader' bull**** excuse for guys that don't do it during the games when it counts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
DT has just been a mess b/c of Marinelli's preferences for the position. We wasted a 2nd round pick on tristy hill.

Yep

Which has derailed whatever coaching and current talent we’ve had.

I would have been much more optimistic with our coaching change if we had fired Jethro and Son as well.

Our coaching change may help us on Game Day but our foundation is still flawed.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even the players they have brought in haven't been very good.

Everybody remember Nolan Carroll? Cedric Thornton? Stephen Paea?

Yeah, if those are the recommendations I'm getting from my "football guys", I can see why the Joneses go on vacation instead!

Those guys are an example of the dumpster dives that have been our free agency strategy.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep

Which has derailed whatever coaching and current talent we’ve had.

I would have been much more optimistic with our coaching change if we had fired Jethro and Son as well.

Our coaching change may help us on Game Day but our foundation is still flawed.

My fear is that the team is still being lead by the front office rather than the HC........... in which case MM is starting the off season with 1 hand tied behind his back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those guys are an example of the dumpster dives that have been our free agency strategy.

And our total incompetence in the area of Pro scouting.

8d39c410117343f892567a74a43f9d48_back.jpg

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My fear is that the team is still being lead by the front office rather than the HC........... in which case MM is starting the off season with 1 hand tied behind his back.
It’s more than fears. It’s reality. I haven’t seen Fat Mikey quoted in any contract negotiations or personnel decisions . Just coaching decisions.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Just about every recent NFC champ has loaded up in free agency. Rams, Eagles, and Niners did not sit back and let the draft come to them and just passively roll with whoever fell into their lap. They aggressively went after players to fill the voids in their rosters. The Cowboys avoidance of free agency isn't born out of wisdom as much as a general lack of familiarity with other NFL teams AND lack of organizational confidence in the evaluations of players they don't know.. Thats what happens when you don't have a real GM.
:clap:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The Cowboys draft acumen has slipped in the past couple years. They must do a better job with their top picks.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s more than fears. It’s reality. I haven’t seen Fat Mikey quoted in any contract negotiations or personnel decisions . Just coaching decisions.

I was thinking the same thing. Its still the Stephen and Jerry off season show. Haven't heard a thing from MM since his opening presser. Seems he's just a new chef in Jerry's kitchen.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Besides, we all know what going to happen. The Cowboys will stumble into free agency still having no idea where Dak's contract is going to end up or how much to pay Amari Cooper. Te team will continue to be managed by crisis rather than strategy.
Our new HC will be the key to minimizing that type of discombobulated team building.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys draft acumen has slipped in the past couple years. They must do a better job with their top picks.
Our drafting has been better on offense than defense. Did we bring in anyone who has a better eye for defense?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We’ve busted in our last two top picks on DL.

How critical is that to our defensive building. Taco and Hill both bust. If they hit our DL and defense could already be a force.

Those are often the differences in whether you build a championship caliber team.