The Draft Network (Weissman) Mock - NFC East Results

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If there is an edge guy that blows all of the other picks away, I get it. You always take BPA if that guy is significantly better than everyone else. That said, Dallas is in a worse position now at DT, RB and maybe a few other spots than they will be next year at DE. If the value is equal, DE would be closer to the bottom of the list than the top.
DT, RB are low valued positions that can be found later in the draft

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would be real surprised if Nolan Smith lasted to 26, especially after his combine workout. However, if he did, you have to pick him. Just take the best player off your board and worry about the fit later, rather then reaching to fill a need.
:hammer:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Be surprised if Smith is there.

Kirby Smart has more depth on his D than any coach, including Saban, and he can afford to play them to fit his scheme, not to increase their draft value. He did that with Jordan Davis.

UGA is the new Bama with a lot of trust from GM's and scouts in the talent they assemble. However, I would stick a fork in Bama just yet, he had another #1 recruiting season.

The other thing is that we have the tendency to look at a player's last season and the NFL personnel hunters look well beyond that and we look at what is and they look at what could be.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If Smith falls to 26 I’m doing cartwheels and singing rainbows and butterflies.

I just don’t see it happening…honestly could see him in play as early as 10 to fill the Reddick role.
Yeah, I’ve been saying for a while that I think there is a strong chance Philly takes Smith at 10.

He fits just how Howie has been drafting with his early picks for the past couple of years. From as huge SEC school. Had a great combine. Well known player that has been hyped by the draft media.

Smith is going to be like cat nip for Howie.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Anthony Spencer vibe on Smoth?
I see him a little bit as the opposite of Spencer, who had really good college production but didn’t test athletically anywhere close to elite. While Nolan Smith didn’t have a lot of sacks at Georgia but is an Uber-athletic specimen.

Spencer was in that Purdue defense, which at the time was churning out edge players because it put them in great position to get to the QB.

Smith was in a system that absolutely did not put Smith in position to get a lot of sacks.

Sydla

Reaction score
You just have to understand how UGA rotates and plays their defenders.

He had a 25% pass rush win rate…which is absurd. Believe it’s 2nd in class only to Anderson.
Interesting on the win rate stat. That's certainly a positive. And Walker was the top pick last year and only had 9.5 career sacks.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Be surprised if Smith is there.

Kirby Smart has more depth on his D than any coach, including Saban, and he can afford to play them to fit his scheme, not to increase their draft value. He did that with Jordan Davis.

UGA is the new Bama with a lot of trust from GM's and scouts in the talent they assemble. However, I would stick a fork in Bama just yet, he had another #1 recruiting season.

The other thing is that we have the tendency to look at a player's last season and the NFL personnel hunters look well beyond that and we look at what is and they look at what could be.
Well at least Quinn does. That got Sam to be our second round pick. :thumbup: I think McDonald is a better pass rusher then Sam was in college.
I think Sam still has some work to do to get a little better against the run, but he surprised my last year with the power he played with. I think he could develop into that LDE role Tank has owned and then McDonald has more of an RDE skill set.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think Sam still has some work to do to get a little better against the run, but he surprised my last year with the power he played with. I think he could develop into that LDE role Tank has owned and then McDonald has more of an RDE skill set.
Sam is Tank’s understudy no doubt. That is why I would like to see McDonald on the other side with his length and bend.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Exactly how I see it.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Sam is Tank’s understudy no doubt. That is why I would like to see McDonald on the other side with his length and bend.
That being said I don’t get overly caught up with the type of DE we get. I don’t care if you’re a speed rusher or a heavy handed power rusher…just give me a dude that can create pressure and impact the run game.

So many good options in rounds 1/2 IMO.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Interesting on the win rate stat. That's certainly a positive. And Walker was the top pick last year and only had 9.5 career sacks.
That lack of production carried through to the NFL too. Granted, his rookie season doesn’t define him, but I’m always skeptical of supposed super prospects with no college production.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
That being said I don’t get overly caught up with the type of DE we get. I don’t care if you’re a speed rusher or a heavy handed power rusher…just give me a dude that can create pressure and impact the run game.

So many good options in rounds 1/2 IMO.
Yeah I agree. I think the run on defensive end will happen in the first round while the tight ends will linger a little. Don’t be surprised if Washington is the first tight end taken either.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
That lack of production carried through to the NFL too. Granted, his rookie season doesn’t define him, but I’m always skeptical of supposed super prospects with no college production.
It’s the only thing that scares me about Smith.