The Draft of the CB

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Some years the draft is defined by the quantity and quality of perceived positions. You have the infamous QB draft of 1983 where John Elway, Todd Blackledge, Jim Kelly, Tony Eason, Ken Obrien and Dan Marino all drafted in the 1st round.

The 1999 draft saw the top 3 picks go on QB and a total of 5 in the 1st round.

There was a run on DTs in the 2001 draft. Five out of the 1st ninteen picks were used on them.

If you needed a WR, last years draft saw 7 go in round 1.

Well, if you need a CB, this years draft may be a good place to look. While the early reports are not conclusive, six CB are projected to have round 1 grades.

1. Antrel Rolle – the “U”
2. Pac Man Jones – West VA
3. Justin Miller – Clemson
4. Corey Webster – LSU
5. Carlos Rogers – Auburn (Thorpe Winner)
6. Marlon Jackson – Michigan

If Dallas thinks they are in need of a CB, this is probably one of the deepest CB drafts in recent. I don’t think any of these are reaches for the 1st round. Maybe only two or three are deserving of the 11 pick overall, but all could be gone by the middle of round two, depending on need.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
As much as I want Antrell Rolle it might be better to wait until #20 to grab a CB. Heck you might be able to get one in the 2nd round.

But I think you gotta get one at some point in the first two rounds.

ghst187

Reaction score
the other thing you have to think about, and I hope we do, is the price CBs command in FA versus the price of drafting one in the first round. It is so much cheaper to draft a good CB than to outbid 10 other teams on FA market. Plus, as deep as this draft is at CB, I'm hoping to get one. My fave is Rolle at pick 11, but I'd be just as happy with Rogers or Jackson and maybe even Miller at pick 20

Duane

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
the other thing you have to think about, and I hope we do, is the price CBs command in FA versus the price of drafting one in the first round. It is so much cheaper to draft a good CB than to outbid 10 other teams on FA market. Plus, as deep as this draft is at CB, I'm hoping to get one. My fave is Rolle at pick 11, but I'd be just as happy with Rogers or Jackson and maybe even Miller at pick 20
That's a very good point. I just hope that the other teams don't follow that same logic. If so, we may see a run on corners in the 1st and 2nd round.

nathanlt

Reaction score
I really don't think that Parcells wants a rookie CB, period. We've spent enough heartache this year trying to get rookie CB's some experience, why go through that process again?

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
I really don't think that Parcells wants a rookie CB, period. We've spent enough heartache this year trying to get rookie CB's some experience, why go through that process again?

are expected to play right away. If Parcell had better talent to work with, I don't think the learner curve would be as great.

And remember, CB is one of those high skill positions that are continually drafted high. CB, DE, WR, QB, RB, LT are where you get the most skill players.

JMO

AJM1613

Reaction score
2003 was the year of the defensive lineman.

11 went in the first round, 8 in the top 15.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
nathanlt said:

I'd feel much more content with starting a #20 overall pick at CB than an undrafted FA who was cut from another team's PS though.

Derinyar

Reaction score
The depth combined with the rules emphesis likely means that there will be bargians to be had in round 2. Theres where I think we use our pick on a CB if we are going to pick one.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
The depth combined with the rules emphesis likely means that there will be bargians to be had in round 2. Theres where I think we use our pick on a CB if we are going to pick one.

I just hope that we get 3 guys that not only start from day one, but also turn into true playmakers.

Your logic is sound. Move down b/c of the depth...

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Derinyar said:

That would be an excellent strategy........... ;)