The effect of the new PI review

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since this rule is new this year, it's too early to call how this will effect the game but I am wondering how this will effect the play calling, particularly the team that wants to be balanced.

It remains to be seen if this will be red flagged a lot more but on those deep balls, the risk v reward is pretty good if the offense gets the call.

The other part of that is what effect will this have on how the DB's play these plays, will this alter the style of play of aggressive DB's to the point the OC's start calling more deep balls?

The NFL loves the big play and I think they were ecstatic that the missed call in NO happened enabling them to do what they wanted to do anyway, open the game and scoring up even more. Think the ratings of that KC-LAR game didn't get a lot of mileage at the owners' meeting? The only holdup was the time to play the games and more stops but integrity comes first, by golly.

I look at this offense, especially with these WR's, and most can go deep but the question is can the OL give the QB time to complete those plays? I do think that Young Kellen will favor those plays because he liked them as a QB.

Good thing for us on offense or bad thing for us on defense?

I have not looked at the details of the new rules but in general:

My feeling is that coaches will quickly run out of challenges.

Also offense PI happens often but is rarely called. Coaches could challenge offensive PI making receivers a bit more conservative in pushing off.

I don't expect reversals unless it it very very obvious. It will need to be things like the DB holding down the WRs arm in such a way that the refs had no way to see it originally.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since this rule is new this year, it's too early to call how this will effect the game but I am wondering how this will effect the play calling, particularly the team that wants to be balanced.

It remains to be seen if this will be red flagged a lot more but on those deep balls, the risk v reward is pretty good if the offense gets the call.

The other part of that is what effect will this have on how the DB's play these plays, will this alter the style of play of aggressive DB's to the point the OC's start calling more deep balls?

The NFL loves the big play and I think they were ecstatic that the missed call in NO happened enabling them to do what they wanted to do anyway, open the game and scoring up even more. Think the ratings of that KC-LAR game didn't get a lot of mileage at the owners' meeting? The only holdup was the time to play the games and more stops but integrity comes first, by golly.

I look at this offense, especially with these WR's, and most can go deep but the question is can the OL give the QB time to complete those plays? I do think that Young Kellen will favor those plays because he liked them as a QB.

I believe the new PI review rule will cause several total fan meltdowns on these boards this season. PI is and has always been the most subjective rule on the books. It’s the easy calls that have been blown in big games that has brought this to the fore...like the egregious non-call in the NFC championship game last year. Probably the worst call I’ve ever seen.

Anyway, the NFL continues down the slippery slope of instant replay usage. I like having some instant replay in place, but the idea that we can theoretically have a totally fair and accurate officiated sporting event is an absolute pipe dream. The more TV replay has been used, the angrier and more frustrated fans become and this will continue.

I believe we would all be better off accepting (as most coaches and players do) that you’re going to get a couple of bad calls every game. It’s part of sports. What shouldn’t happen are the calls like the one in NO last January, which actually have not happened that often. Sports will always have a small element of “unfair” moments. The better teams’ coaches and players overcome them- it’s part of what being good in sports is all about.

erod

Reaction score
There is literally pass interference on every deep ball.

I'm for review on PI because it's so punitive, but I have no idea how they're going to do this.

J12B

Reaction score

Do defenses get to challenge as well in case there was a missed offensive PI?

I feel like there is just as many offensive PIs that don't get called as there are of defensive PIs. Usually pushoffs right before the ball arrives.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, good points on this thread. we certainly need to work on the WR tech to abuse this rule.
Most importantly, defensively, this must spell the end of the Rod "drop 8" into coverage,, we absolutely need to get maximum pressure on the QB and take away this problem before it begins.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The effect this will have on the game is safeties and cornerbacks will have to learn to react to the ball rather than the receiver, that way they don't run into a receiver that is reacting to the ball.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Do defenses get to challenge as well in case there was a missed offensive PI?

I feel like there is just as many offensive PIs that don't get called as there are of defensive PIs. Usually pushoffs right before the ball arrives.
PI is PI no matter who is suspected of it

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not looked at the details of the new rules but in general:

My feeling is that coaches will quickly run out of challenges.

Also offense PI happens often but is rarely called. Coaches could challenge offensive PI making receivers a bit more conservative in pushing off.

I don't expect reversals unless it it very very obvious. It will need to be things like the DB holding down the WRs arm in such a way that the refs had no way to see it originally.
Will they hold some challenges because the PI could be the best one they get in a game?

Or will the refs try and control this the way they do holding because there's holding on every play?

It is going to be interesting to track the number of deep balls that increase because of this and the length of games because I do not see this as a decrease in pass attempts. And will an increase in deep balls lead to WR's getting doubled more or will DC's just take their chances with singles?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Have they ever done that?
To complete the catch process, "upright long enough" only lasted from 2015-17.

Football move up until then, football move again starting in 2018.

So if it's that stupid, it won't last long.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I'm for review on PI because it's so punitive, but I have no idea how they're going to do this.
It’s going to extend the game. Boring . Like reviewing each TD. The NFL is beginning to bore me with all of the reviews.

It doesn’t need to be an absolute perfection game. It’s played by humans refereed by humans. It’s not a perfect situation.

Instant Replay was implemented to prevent game ending mistakes from changing the outcome. The rest isn’t necessary.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Watch a CFL game. They've had instant replay review for PI for a few years. It's not a big deal.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It’s going to extend the game. Boring . Like reviewing each TD. The NFL is beginning to bore me with all of the reviews.

What bores me are 2 hours of commercials regardless of whether or not there are reviews.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think WRs are going to turn into soccer players, flopping and flailing about if they are so much as grazed by a CBs pinky finger. Plays will be designed and called specifically to get a large chunk interference call. All they have to do is slow down and let the CB run into them. If no penalty is called, challenge it.

GenoT

Reaction score
Calling PI in football is like calling charging/blocking in basketball.

No matter how many times they look at it, once the dust settles, @half the fans are gonna disagree with the final call.

Meanwhile, get ready for more than a few 4hr games before they iron the wrinkles out.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
One thing is for sure. We will mostly get the benefit of the doubt.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Calling PI in football is like calling charging/blocking in basketball.

No matter how many times they look at it, once the dust settles, @half the fans are gonna disagree with the final call.

Meanwhile, get ready for more than a few 4hr games before they iron the wrinkles out.
I slightly disagree. Though the charge block is often missed called, its often clear if it was right or wrong. IMO

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
What struck me last season is how much the game is now influenced by the officials. I wasn't thrilled when Zeke broke a 20 yard run, I was just anxious to see if there would be a holding penalty. I wasn't cheering when Carson Wentz took a big sack, I was looking for the BS penalty call that would inevitably follow it. The yellow flags both slow down the game, which is death for a TV sport, they shift the outcome of games. More PI review is a step in the wrong direction on both counts IME.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
First off, P.I. shouldn’t be a spot foul. That’s ridiculous.

Second, you can probably call pass interference on most defended passes. A smart coach will use both his challenges every game on P.I. penalties, both on deep balls, to get his team a chunk of yardage.