The Emmitt Smith Game - 30 Years Ago Today

Thomas82

Reaction score
On this day in 1994, Emmitt Smith played the game that defined his career. It wasn't his best statistical performance, but this game had every facet of Emmitt's game on display. It was about performance, courage, toughness, and getting it done on the biggest stage in the important games. There was a whole new respect for Emmitt after that day for what he did for his team to put them in position to win a 2nd straight Super Bowl.

Here are the things that still jump out at me from that day:

*This was the last regular season game Jimmy Johnson and Norv Turner coached for the Cowboys.

*This was the last regular season game Lawrence Taylor and Phil Simms played in. They both retired after the season.

*Both starting running backs ran for over 100 yards in this game, which is rare.

*The Cowboys were in total control of the game until Kevin Williams tried to field a blocked punt and fumbled it, which was a huge momentum shifter for the Giants.

*Of the 229 total yards Emmitt gained that day, 78 came after he injured his shoulder, and he got 14 of his 42 touches then as well.

*Emmitt finished with a game-high in total touches, total yards, carries, rushing yards, receptions, and receiving yards. He also had the longest play from scrimmage for either team. This puts in perspective just how dominant he was that day.

*Emmitt had this performance against a Giants defense that ranked #1 in overall defense and #1 in points allowed (12.8).

*Emmitt's 168 rushing yards gave him his 3rd straight rushing title. At that time only Steve Van Buren, Jim Brown, and Earl Campell had ever won 3 in a row. Emmitt was the only one to win it after missing 2 games. He also led the NFL in total yards for the first time with 1,900. He also led the league in YPC at 5.3.

Side Note: A lot of people wanted to discredit the rushing title in 1993 because Barry Sanders was hurt. But Barry Foster and Rodney Hampton got hurt too. As for Emmitt, he missed the first 2 games of the season, came back to the team with hamstring problems, then missed the 1st half of the game he made his return in. Then he carried the ball once in Atlanta when he thought he broke his leg. That rushing title after missing the first 2 games was still quite the accomplishment. To cap off the season, he was named MVP.

***I can't speak for anybody else, but the 1992 and 1993 seasons were my absolute favorite time to be a Cowboys fan.***

Kingofholland

Reaction score
On this day in 1994, Emmitt Smith played the game that defined his career. It wasn't his best statistical performance, but this game had every facet of Emmitt's game on display. It was about performance, courage, toughness, and getting it done on the biggest stage in the important games. There was a whole new respect for Emmitt after that day for what he did for his team to put them in position to win a 2nd straight Super Bowl.

Here are the things that still jump out at me from that day:

*This was the last regular season game Jimmy Johnson and Norv Turner coached for the Cowboys.

*This was the last regular season game Lawrence Taylor and Phil Simms played in. They both retired after the season.

*Both starting running backs ran for over 100 yards in this game, which is rare.

*The Cowboys were in total control of the game until Kevin Williams tried to field a blocked punt and fumbled it, which was a huge momentum shifter for the Giants.

*Of the 229 total yards Emmitt gained that day, 78 came after he injured his shoulder, and he got 14 of his 42 touches then as well.

*Emmitt finished with a game-high in total touches, total yards, carries, rushing yards, receptions, and receiving yards. He also had the longest play from scrimmage for either team. This puts in perspective just how dominant he was that day.

*Emmitt had this performance against a Giants defense that ranked #1 in overall defense and #1 in points allowed (12.8).

*Emmitt's 168 rushing yards gave him his 3rd straight rushing title. At that time only Steve Van Buren, Jim Brown, and Earl Campell had ever won 3 in a row. Emmitt was the only one to win it after missing 2 games. He also led the NFL in total yards for the first time with 1,900. He also led the league in YPC at 5.3.

Side Note: A lot of people wanted to discredit the rushing title in 1993 because Barry Sanders was hurt. But Barry Foster and Rodney Hampton got hurt too. As for Emmitt, he missed the first 2 games of the season, came back to the team with hamstring problems, then missed the 1st half of the game he made his return in. Then he carried the ball once in Atlanta when he thought he broke his leg. That rushing title after missing the first 2 games was still quite the accomplishment. To cap off the season, he was named MVP.

***I can't speak for anybody else, but the 1992 and 1993 seasons were my absolute favorite time to be a Cowboys fan.***
Thanks for posting, I definitely miss Emmitt carrying the ball for the Cowboys, but love reliving it and seeing highlights. Cheers to one of the greatest Cowboys ever!!!!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tenor.gif

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
This was the game that separated Emmitt from every other RB in my opinion. It was as iconic as the Jordan flu game. Emmitt may not have been as talented or as flashy as other RBs, but true greats step up in the biggest moments. He's also one of the few RBs whose postseason stats are better than his regular season stats.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The 92 and 93 seasons were magical and, not just because the Cowboys won back-to-back Super Bowls.

The team had an unquestioned swagger. They were awash in stars and strong personalities. They expected to win every game; they were bullies without being dirty players.

The 93 team was resilient - losing the first 2 games and then losing back-to-back games in mid-season and still came back to dominate the post season.

Great memories!

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I always thought this feat of Emmitt's never got the publicity it deserves in football lore like say the Kellen Winslow game vs. Miami. But that one was in the playoffs and those games are worth more because it's lose and go home. Still, I don't think this gets talked about enough.
Its the Cowboy affect. Just like the slant to Harper is hardly mentioned and the Hail Mary is debated as a push off to this day. But the Music City Miracle is lauded when it looked to me like a forward pass and OBJs catch has become legendary even though it was in a loss and he was using stick um gloves.

But Emmitt is the best big game running back i ever saw.....he just made plays that the team needed to win ball games.

Last edited:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I always thought this feat of Emmitt's never got the publicity it deserves in football lore like say the Kellen Winslow game vs. Miami. But that one was in the playoffs and those games are worth more because it's lose and go home. Still, I don't think this gets talked about enough.
:hammer:100% correct.

cold January day, playing on a concrete slab with an inch or so of that crappy astroturf as your only cushion.
And having 32 carries and 10 catches with a separated shoulder, with home field on the line?

I can't fathom the mental and physical toughness it took to handle that kind of a pounding and produce when it counted most.

I live up here in Lions Country and they love to bash Emmitt non stop up here (Barry would have had 40,000 yards behind that line, etc etc etc)
I just point to this game and say case closed. Not a single running back that I can think of would have done what Emmitt did that day, in those circumstances.

Give me #22 any day and twice on Sunday. All time favorite Cowboy, now and forever.

EndGame

Reaction score
This was what I told my son about when I was trying to teach him toughness and the difference between being "hurt" and being "injured". I'll never forget how big his eyes got when I told him about it. From that point on, if he was "hurt" he kept playing.

mldardy

Reaction score
Game changed on Kevin Williams muff on the punt return up 13-0 towards the beginning of the 3rd quarter. Momentum completely shifted when he trying to pick up that partially blocked punt. We won the game obviously but we probably win by multiple scores if that doesn't happen. That play allowed the crowd to get back into the game and the Giants to feel very confident. Giants weren't moving the ball at all against us before that play.

I remember being so nervous that we were going to lose that game and have to play a wild card game instead having the 1 seed and a bye. I just think about the difference of having to play a wild card game with an injured Emmitt and then having to go to SF to the play the Niners in the divisional round vs. what really happened in getting the bye having home field and eventually winning the Super Bowl. Emmitt was an absolute beast in this game. Anyway that ever questions how great he was can look at this game, hell look at his entire 93 season.