The Emmitt Smith Game - 30 Years Ago Today

Thomas82

Reaction score
:hammer:100% correct.

cold January day, playing on a concrete slab with an inch or so of that crappy astroturf as your only cushion.
And having 32 carries and 10 catches with a separated shoulder, with home field on the line?

I can't fathom the mental and physical toughness it took to handle that kind of a pounding and produce when it counted most.

I live up here in Lions Country and they love to bash Emmitt non stop up here (Barry would have had 40,000 yards behind that line, etc etc etc)
I just point to this game and say case closed. Not a single running back that I can think of would have done what Emmitt did that day, in those circumstances.

Give me #22 any day and twice on Sunday. All time favorite Cowboy, now and forever.
All facts!! Emmitt was as tough and as clutch as they come.

DStar22

Reaction score
This is the day that Emmitt Smith redefined the word "Determination" to make himself a living example.

My favorite all time player. Thank you Mr. Smith. Dallas could never have been the franchise it was in the 90's without you.

Motorola

Reaction score
What a game that was. Remember exactly where I was watching it.

This was also, reputedly, the only time that John Madden - after calling a game - visited the locker room to congratulate a player.

And the late - Great - HOFer, and NFL Legend did not once backtracked or made a mea culpa of his decision.

That gesture by Madden back then harkened back to what his original greatness was in professional football: an outstanding = hellava = HOF worthy head coach, before his legendary broadcast career started.

Last edited:

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
On this day in 1994, Emmitt Smith played the game that defined his career. It wasn't his best statistical performance, but this game had every facet of Emmitt's game on display. It was about performance, courage, toughness, and getting it done on the biggest stage in the important games. There was a whole new respect for Emmitt after that day for what he did for his team to put them in position to win a 2nd straight Super Bowl.

Here are the things that still jump out at me from that day:

*This was the last regular season game Jimmy Johnson and Norv Turner coached for the Cowboys.

*This was the last regular season game Lawrence Taylor and Phil Simms played in. They both retired after the season.

*Both starting running backs ran for over 100 yards in this game, which is rare.

*The Cowboys were in total control of the game until Kevin Williams tried to field a blocked punt and fumbled it, which was a huge momentum shifter for the Giants.

*Of the 229 total yards Emmitt gained that day, 78 came after he injured his shoulder, and he got 14 of his 42 touches then as well.

*Emmitt finished with a game-high in total touches, total yards, carries, rushing yards, receptions, and receiving yards. He also had the longest play from scrimmage for either team. This puts in perspective just how dominant he was that day.

*Emmitt had this performance against a Giants defense that ranked #1 in overall defense and #1 in points allowed (12.8).

*Emmitt's 168 rushing yards gave him his 3rd straight rushing title. At that time only Steve Van Buren, Jim Brown, and Earl Campell had ever won 3 in a row. Emmitt was the only one to win it after missing 2 games. He also led the NFL in total yards for the first time with 1,900. He also led the league in YPC at 5.3.

Side Note: A lot of people wanted to discredit the rushing title in 1993 because Barry Sanders was hurt. But Barry Foster and Rodney Hampton got hurt too. As for Emmitt, he missed the first 2 games of the season, came back to the team with hamstring problems, then missed the 1st half of the game he made his return in. Then he carried the ball once in Atlanta when he thought he broke his leg. That rushing title after missing the first 2 games was still quite the accomplishment. To cap off the season, he was named MVP.

***I can't speak for anybody else, but the 1992 and 1993 seasons were my absolute favorite time to be a Cowboys fan.***
Very, very accurate rundown. Also, Emmitt also did with no mini-camp, training camp or off season reps...off the street cold in the 2nd half of the AZ game...

Thomas82

Reaction score
Very, very accurate rundown. Also, Emmitt also did with no mini-camp, training camp or off season reps...off the street cold in the 2nd half of the AZ game...
Thanks man, and in my side note I mentioned that. But yeah, I remember all of that like it was yesterday. I was in the 8th grade at that time.

Cwby41

Reaction score
On this day in 1994, Emmitt Smith played the game that defined his career. It wasn't his best statistical performance, but this game had every facet of Emmitt's game on display. It was about performance, courage, toughness, and getting it done on the biggest stage in the important games. There was a whole new respect for Emmitt after that day for what he did for his team to put them in position to win a 2nd straight Super Bowl.

Here are the things that still jump out at me from that day:

*This was the last regular season game Jimmy Johnson and Norv Turner coached for the Cowboys.

*This was the last regular season game Lawrence Taylor and Phil Simms played in. They both retired after the season.

*Both starting running backs ran for over 100 yards in this game, which is rare.

*The Cowboys were in total control of the game until Kevin Williams tried to field a blocked punt and fumbled it, which was a huge momentum shifter for the Giants.

*Of the 229 total yards Emmitt gained that day, 78 came after he injured his shoulder, and he got 14 of his 42 touches then as well.

*Emmitt finished with a game-high in total touches, total yards, carries, rushing yards, receptions, and receiving yards. He also had the longest play from scrimmage for either team. This puts in perspective just how dominant he was that day.

*Emmitt had this performance against a Giants defense that ranked #1 in overall defense and #1 in points allowed (12.8).

*Emmitt's 168 rushing yards gave him his 3rd straight rushing title. At that time only Steve Van Buren, Jim Brown, and Earl Campell had ever won 3 in a row. Emmitt was the only one to win it after missing 2 games. He also led the NFL in total yards for the first time with 1,900. He also led the league in YPC at 5.3.

Side Note: A lot of people wanted to discredit the rushing title in 1993 because Barry Sanders was hurt. But Barry Foster and Rodney Hampton got hurt too. As for Emmitt, he missed the first 2 games of the season, came back to the team with hamstring problems, then missed the 1st half of the game he made his return in. Then he carried the ball once in Atlanta when he thought he broke his leg. That rushing title after missing the first 2 games was still quite the accomplishment. To cap off the season, he was named MVP.

***I can't speak for anybody else, but the 1992 and 1993 seasons were my absolute favorite time to be a Cowboys fan.***
One of my favorite all time games. Emmitt was the definition of clutch whenever we needed him to step up

JayFord

Reaction score
when i was a kid and wasnt even paying attention to his injuries

all i knew was go emmitt go...because its what my Dad said and we was both jumping on the bed yelling "go emmitt go"

jgboys1

Reaction score
I was at this game and Emmitt left is all on the field that day! Single handily, with one shoulder and all carried the team to the NFC East!

Reactions: CWR

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always thought this feat of Emmitt's never got the publicity it deserves in football lore like say the Kellen Winslow game vs. Miami. But that one was in the playoffs and those games are worth more because it's lose and go home. Still, I don't think this gets talked about enough.
This was like a playoff game though. The winner won the NFCE and got HFA.

CWR

Reaction score
tenor.gif
I got to attend that game and man was the crowd roaring. It was loud the moment the offense got the ball, because we knew it was coming, but the explosion when he broke the record was awesome.

CWR

Reaction score
I was at this game and Emmitt left is all on the field that day! Single handily, with one shoulder and all carried the team to the NFC East!
I understand the argument for Sanders, I really do. He was sensational, but he couldn't match Emmitts heart and determination.

Captain Late

Reaction score
Courage,Determination,Refusal to give into the Pain and Willing His Team to Victory.An All Time Performance by the Great Emmitt Smith that Unforgettable Afternoon.He put it all out there for everyone to see.Both Pat Summerall and John Madden always put that effort at the top of their list of courageous and clutch games they witnessed.

The physical play by that one of a kind Offensive Line was on another level.Erik Williams was simply as powerful,intimidating and dominant an Offensive Tackle there has ever been and it was on display that day.

The unsung hero of the day was Eddie Murray who nailed the Game Winning FG in tough conditions.That guy was a huge acquisition early in 1993 and man did he reward them for signing him.