The first day should be straightforward, unless it isn't

Hardline

Reaction score
The nightmare I have is Horn/Surtain both gone
Pitts gone
And no one wants to trade up
That's not a nightmare. That's a dream come true
At least 4 QBs and 2 defensive players fo top 9 means Sewell or Chase might be there.

conner01

Reaction score
agreed with DT class. I heard Cavenaugh on 105.3 the fan say something similar a few weeks back about WR as they would be BPA. I myself consider OT a huge need for nothing else but how last year progressed when we were beat up on the line. I don't trust Collins or Smith at all. Zach may be hurt more as hes aging and Williams is weak. Slater or Sewell are immediate impact folks as either one of them pushes Williams to bench.

my real hope is LB Im a Parsons or Zaven Collins guy with first pick but I realize Im in the minority. I dont think the Cowboys can screw up pick 10 because everyone Ive heard them discussing fit a need
A LB I really like is Davis
My hope is McGovern send Williams to the bench

starfan1

Reaction score
A LB I really like is Davis
My hope is McGovern send Williams to the bench
out of Kentucky? id be ok there too I have my preferences but nothing will really upset me at 10 because any direction they go hits a need. Maybe they get lucky and drop down to 15 and pick up an extra pick

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I mostly avoided speculating on the draft, as I prefer to do generally. So many smoke screens and bald-faced lies to sort through. So many click-bait mock drafts to keep useless people relevant. So little knowledge and so much guessing. It's interesting to discuss, but so tiring to rummage through the rubbish.

Until today. It is Draft Eve, and player study and breakdowns are complete. Teams know their scenarios and have their plans in place. The picture is in the frame, but we have to stare at it so the 3D image will reveal itself.

I do believe Jerry is fascinated with Kyle Pitts and would take him. But I don't think he's interested in trading up, nor do I think Pitts will fall anywhere near 10. That scenario is gone.

I also believe the reports that coaches and scouts are bickering over Surtain and Horn. Personally, I'd prefer Horn, but I also have a feeling somebody might snatch him earlier than Dallas' pick. There's talk of Carolina doing so, but there are lots of rumors surrounding them.

That would leave Dallas pick as.....Patrick Surtain II.

It's a fine pick because I think he and Horn will both be good. I think Horn is a little more nasty, which is why I prefer him, but there's not much not to like about Surtain. That will be fine.

If suddenly there's a run on corners, that's where it gets interesting. What if Waddle, Chase, Parsons, and the tackles are there? Do you do it again? Lock up another elite receiver, this time with breakneck speed? Do you take Parsons, which is a safe pick of need and a good player? Shore up the oline? Trade out?

Honestly, any of those options are good. You're not going to care in 5 years where your Hall of Fame-bound player was taken and what the need was at the time. Get great players, period.

In the end, I think Dallas takes Surtain or Horn and calls it a first day.

I don't consider Parsons a safe pick. He has a high ceiling but a low floor. Along with character issues.

There is no way both those players are gone by 10.

Mike Fisher just made a video about Surtain and Horn potentially going 8 and 9. Sounds plausible to me.

Not to mention there was already talk of the Eagles trading ahead of the Cowboys for a corner.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Always a great read as always, memories!!!! I hope there's nothing tricky going on here, I want us to get the CB we're discussing right now. Could we use an OT yes, but is he really going to help us right away with Smith and Collins coming back from injury?? CB is the way to go, I just don't think we need to get cute, if there's a way to move back and still get one of the top 2 cb's i'm fine, but man that's a tough one!

I mostly avoided speculating on the draft, as I prefer to do generally. So many smoke screens and bald-faced lies to sort through. So many click-bait mock drafts to keep useless people relevant. So little knowledge and so much guessing. It's interesting to discuss, but so tiring to rummage through the rubbish.

Until today. It is Draft Eve, and player study and breakdowns are complete. Teams know their scenarios and have their plans in place. The picture is in the frame, but we have to stare at it so the 3D image will reveal itself.

I do believe Jerry is fascinated with Kyle Pitts and would take him. But I don't think he's interested in trading up, nor do I think Pitts will fall anywhere near 10. That scenario is gone.

I also believe the reports that coaches and scouts are bickering over Surtain and Horn. Personally, I'd prefer Horn, but I also have a feeling somebody might snatch him earlier than Dallas' pick. There's talk of Carolina doing so, but there are lots of rumors surrounding them.

That would leave Dallas pick as.....Patrick Surtain II.

It's a fine pick because I think he and Horn will both be good. I think Horn is a little more nasty, which is why I prefer him, but there's not much not to like about Surtain. That will be fine.

If suddenly there's a run on corners, that's where it gets interesting. What if Waddle, Chase, Parsons, and the tackles are there? Do you do it again? Lock up another elite receiver, this time with breakneck speed? Do you take Parsons, which is a safe pick of need and a good player? Shore up the oline? Trade out?

Honestly, any of those options are good. You're not going to care in 5 years where your Hall of Fame-bound player was taken and what the need was at the time. Get great players, period.

In the end, I think Dallas takes Surtain or Horn and calls it a first day.

Verdict

Reaction score
I would not be shocked if there are no defenders taken before we pick at #10 and we pass on a defender as well.

Scotman

Reaction score
Sewell will be gone
I’m not that high on slater
I don’t think tackle is a big need but Sewell is too good to pass up
In that scenario I’d take a WR again and trade Gallup since he will be gone after this year anyway
But man there would be a melt down here if we took a WR lol
I wouldn’t be surprised if we take a WR at some point anyway just not high
This is another really good WR class
We need a DT class like the last few WR classes have been

Yes, but the meltdown here would be NOTHING like the meltdown in Philly if we took a WR they desperately wanted. That alone might make it worth it. LOL

plasticman

Reaction score
I predict nothing straightforward about this first round. I really believe the Cowboys will be wheeling and dealing all the way down to the 32nd pick.

conner01

Reaction score
out of Kentucky? id be ok there too I have my preferences but nothing will really upset me at 10 because any direction they go hits a need. Maybe they get lucky and drop down to 15 and pick up an extra pick
Kentucky kid
Would surprise me if he’s the best LB in the draft and he might be available after a trade down because he hasn’t played a lot of football
But he sure dominated when he did and he could play all 3 spots
One issue to me with our LB’s is neither is really suited to be a mike. Jaylon doesn’t have the instincts and LVE doesn’t have the neck to take the pounding
I wouldn’t complain if we took a couple of LB in this draft
One good enough to allow you to move on from one of ours and another to develop and help on ST

conner01

Reaction score
What if they jumped ahead of us and took Jaylen Waddle? That would be a classic Raiders move.
He’s too talented
They’d take Swartz
He ran .01 faster lol
The most amazing, if you can believe these 40 times was parsons
Some of these 40 times seem a bit fishy to me though

Thomas82

Reaction score
He’s too talented
They’d take Swartz
He ran .01 faster lol
The most amazing, if you can believe these 40 times was parsons
Some of these 40 times seem a bit fishy to me though

I'm half joking about this, but I wouldn't put it past them given that they picked Ruggs last year.

Motorola

Reaction score
Yep -- I think you're right, Erod, unless something fairly unexpected happens, like both of those CBs being taken before #10. It's also to my liking to get the best players we can get at needy positions, which could put both Sewell and Parsons on tap. I'd be a happy camper with any of those four. :)
The nightmare I have is Horn/Surtain both gone
Pitts gone
And no one wants to trade up
Having viewed three to four dozen mocks, I have not come across any that have the first six teams picking a defensive player. LB Parsons to Detroit always is the first on the defense picked (and has been coming up more and more recently). Just came across one picking Farley at 8 to Carolina while another choosing Horn at that spot. With Denver trading for QB Brigdewater and already having a young WR in Judy, they could turn their attention to CB.
But if a fourth QB is selected at #4, it would appear that Surtain or Horn will be there for the Cowboys.
I feel that Sewell, Pitts, and Chase are gone before the 8th pick.

conner01

Reaction score
Having viewed three to four dozen mocks, I have not come across any that have the first six teams picking a defensive player. LB Parsons to Detroit always is the first on the defense picked (and has been coming up more and more recently). Just came across one picking Farley at 8 to Carolina while another choosing Horn at that spot. With Denver trading for QB Brigdewater and already having a young WR in Judy, they could turn their attention to CB.
But if a fourth QB is selected at #4, it would appear that Surtain or Horn will be there for the Cowboys.
Hope so
CBS had one I seen today with both gone
But then again they had one with us taking slater with both still there
I don’t expect both to be gone but that would be a nightmare

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

That does seem to be the popular notion with the mocks, although, it's not too uncommon for the pro teams to differ from the mocks. I'll be glad when all this speculation is over and we know what has happened. It just takes a couple of teams to differ from the mocks and things get switched around a lot. There'll be plenty of bellyaching, no matter what occurs, though. It happens every year. I think many of those doing the mocks don't know any more than we do. It's all guesswork. ;)

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
Thats easy then sewell would be available
Maybe but not likely
I don’t know how likely both being gone is but it’s a nightmare if they were
I’m not the slater fan many are and I’m not convinced he will be a tackle and not a guard