The future of Conner Williams

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Williams is going to be fine.
McGovern should win center job.
Knight swing tackle
Looney backup guard/center.
Biadaz will be third option at center if everyone is healthy. Move up following year.

Carter

Reaction score
McGovern should be better than Williams.

None of the will beat out the Remington Award Winner Bad Azz at Center when his injury is 100% healed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Connor Williams was playing really well in 2019. By about game 4 he was playing really well and continued to play well up until the injury.

He was also good in the playoff game with Aaron Donald most often lining up against CW. It was one of the very few career games where Donald had zero sacks and zero QB Hits.

With DVRs and the low cost of access to the coaches film it is really unfortunate that so few fans actually study the games.

Fans form extreme opinions about players often without ever reviewing the player other than watching the games in real time.

Connor Williams was better at LG in 2019 and La'el ever was when he played LG. La'el might have had some highlight blocks but he made a huge amount of mistakes.

CW was terrific in picking up and passing off pass rushers on stunts and blitzes. He was very good at making 2nd level blocks on LBs. Most run blocking in the modern era is more about precision than brute power. Being in the right position a the right time is critical and CW was very good at doing that.

I feel he is best suited as a OT my view has not changed. I never said he did poorly but he is not playing to what I feel is his best position which is OT. McGovern on the other hand played his entire career at Penn St on the inside and again it is where I see his strength as an OLineman. As much as I like Tyron Smith he has missed multiple games the last 4 years with back issues and I would hope to see Williams working OT to be able to step in.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
What I'd like to see the team do is have the young linemen getting some practice reps at several positions:
  1. Williams on the left side, left guard and left tackle
  2. McGovern at left guard and center
  3. Biadasz strictly at center
  4. Knight at right tackle and right guard
  5. Hyatt strictly at left tackle (to see if there's anything there worth keeping)
Given how much they rest their veteran starters, there should be plenty of reps available for the young guys to learn.

I was with you up until #5. Hyatt looked COMPLETELY overmatched. I suppose improvement is likely, but in his case will it be enough?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was with you up until #5. Hyatt looked COMPLETELY overmatched. I suppose improvement is likely, but in his case will it be enough?

I'm basing my opinion based on what the team did last year. Late in the season, they moved Hyatt up to the active roster from the practice squad. That tells me two things:
  1. That the team felt that another team was looking to sign him away
  2. The team saw enough in him to keep him around for another year
Nothing more than that, but the guy was a starting left tackle for a highly successful college program. That tells me he has some ability. Does he need work? Undoubtedly. But the team obviously sees developmental traits.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Connor Williams was only at LT for non-padded practices in OTAs. He didn't practice there in training camp.
Yup. But they clearly had LT envisioned for him eventually and told him so directly.
All that said, this is a new offensive staff and we won't know what they think of him 'til they run practices.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Connor vs Connor...winner gets to start at OG...loser backs up.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What's interesting is the kid never played guard prior to being drafted. Yet we not asked him to change positions as a rookie but play at a high level as a starter. Remember posting a while back he should be our swing tackle. This way we killing two birds here ........swing tackle AND Tyrone Smith backup and just maybe Smith replacement.

I thought he was inevitably headed for RT until we resigned Collins.