The futures of Sam Hurd and Patrick Crayton

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Was wondering what everyone thought about the futures of these guys.

I really think Crayton is pretty much what he is going to be right now which is a real good #3, maybe a good #2 but no more.

In the limited time that we saw Hurd, he looks like he could be special.

What's everyone else's thoughts on these guys and are we going to look at WR on the first day of the draft?

Reaction score
Miles Austin has the most upside of any young WR on the current roster, however Crayton is a nice third WR.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
I think Crayton can be more than a #3.....you give a guy a chance and he can make the most out of it. If T.O. weren't here, I think he'd be the #2 right now.

The guy is a terrific WR....wouldn't be surprised to see him as a #1 before his career is over. I don't think that he was used properly this past year by BP. The guy just rarely dropped balls and he made plays....there just weren't enough plays called to go his way, IMO. He is one of my favorite players now, even though he doesn't get all the playing time that I would like to see him get.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Hurd and austin both look good to me, crayton is pretty darn clutch too.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Jimz31;1375415 said:
I think Crayton can be more than a #3.....you give a guy a chance and he can make the most out of it. If T.O. weren't here, I think he'd be the #2 right now.

The guy is a terrific WR....wouldn't be surprised to see him as a #1 before his career is over. I don't think that he was used properly this past year by BP. The guy just rarely dropped balls and he made plays....there just weren't enough plays called to go his way, IMO. He is one of my favorite players now, even though he doesn't get all the playing time that I would like to see him get.

Didn't he make some kind of sick circus catch AROUND a defender this year? or was that Glenn?

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1375424 said:
Didn't he make some kind of sick circus catch AROUND a defender this year? or was that Glenn?

They both made some sick catches....Glenn made ALOT of great catches this past season.

JaiRiid

Reaction score
yah i'm sure Wade remembers Crayton doing his thing against the San Diego defense on opening day 2005...

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
JaiRiid;1375430 said:
yah i'm sure Wade remembers Crayton doing his thing against the San Diego defense on opening day 2005...

Denny Green remembers his name from this past year.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Crayton had the most reliable hands, I think.

Sure did seem that way if not.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
crayton needs more passes thrown his way. he has the best hands on the team

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
During one of the games they were talking about Crayton having the best % as far as catches go for a WR....then on the next pass to him, he dropped it. Talk about a jinx statement by a commentator.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1375401 said:

I really think Crayton is pretty much what he is going to be right now which is a real good #3, maybe a good #2 but no more.

What's everyone else's thoughts on these guys and are we going to look at WR on the first day of the draft?

i think dallas could very well end up losing crayton to a team that gives him more money. i would like to see hurd on the field more tho.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1375401 said:

All I know is.... being that TO is on the team we will never know.... "Darn you TO.... darn you straight to hell"

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Now that Parcells is gone, maybe we can see some of the young guys get on the field and try and prove themselves.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
YoMick;1375510 said:
All I know is.... being that TO is on the team we will never know.... "Darn you TO.... darn you straight to hell"

Crayton and Hurd better get comfortable on that bench... you know who is getting 100+ catches this year, dont you?

:popcorn:

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
smarta5150;1375517 said:
Crayton and Hurd better get comfortable on that bench... you know who is getting 100+ catches this year, dont you?

:popcorn:

i can only get 100 catches if im drafted to the team

superpunk

Reaction score
Crayton's 75% catch pct. was the highest of any receiver in the league who was thrown at least 45 passes last year. He might not be able to flourish in a larger role, but he certainly deserves the chance.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Crayton is a clutch player...he gets open and he doesn't drop many balls. He will do another year as our #3 and will likely get more chances should a starter go down than he got this year under Parcells' silly *** policys. He will likely move up to the #2 after next season and will be the possession receiver for those tough 3rd downs.

As for Austin and Hurd...both of these guys have great potential and I think one of them will emerge as a bona-fide star. However a lot will depend on how the new coaches view these guys. If they see the same potential that Parcells' crew seemed to see they might get their shots; if not then we draft a WR and they might not even make the team. Personally I think they both make the team and get extra playing time if one of the old guys go down.

If Captain America is right in his hope...err...thought...that Owens won't be back then one of these three might get a starters job this year.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Yes, Crayton catches everything thrown his way, but he disappears in stretches that lasts for weeks. Was it game planning? Was it Bledsoe ('cause he did seem to come on when Romo took over).

I think Crayton's fine just where he is, as the #3. He'll give you the tough catch to keep the chains moving, but I don't think he can seperate from the defender to go deep nor does he have the size to do something after the catch.

Hurd, I realize he was super productive during the last preseason, but I remain lukewarm on him.

Austin has the biggest upside from a size/ speed standpoint. Hopefully now that BP's gone, we won't have to wait 2 more years before we actually see him lineup as a WR.

Anyone who brings up Rector, let it go. He is undersized and isn't as fast as for someone his size should be. He's also spent a few years in the league and has proven nothing.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Hailmary;1375572 said:
Yes, Crayton catches everything thrown his way, but he disappears in stretches that lasts for weeks. Was it game planning? Was it Bledsoe ('cause he did seem to come on when Romo took over).

I think Crayton's fine just where he is, as the #3. He'll give you the tough catch to keep the chains moving, but I don't think he can seperate from the defender to go deep nor does he have the size to do something after the catch.

Hurd, I realize he was super productive during the last preseason, but I remain lukewarm on him.

Austin has the biggest upside from a size/ speed standpoint. Hopefully now that BP's gone, we won't have to wait 2 more years before we actually see him lineup as a WR.

Anyone who brings up Rector, let it go. He is undersized and isn't as fast as for someone his size should be. He's also spent a few years in the league and has proven nothing.

:confused: