The futures of Sam Hurd and Patrick Crayton

Hailmary

Reaction score
My bad on the Rector comment, given his age, I thougt he bounced around for a while. I still see very little potential in him tho.

As for the Austin comment, you have to admit that BP was very slow and often times reluctant to play some of the younger guys.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Jimz31;1375415 said:
I think Crayton can be more than a #3.....you give a guy a chance and he can make the most out of it. If T.O. weren't here, I think he'd be the #2 right now.

The guy is a terrific WR....wouldn't be surprised to see him as a #1 before his career is over. I don't think that he was used properly this past year by BP. The guy just rarely dropped balls and he made plays....there just weren't enough plays called to go his way, IMO. He is one of my favorite players now, even though he doesn't get all the playing time that I would like to see him get.

I love Crayton too. He's come up very clutch, and he seems to have gotten rid of that little fumble issue he had 2 seasons ago. The guy has great hands, and I agree, there just weren't enough balls to go his way. But he made the most of his opportunities for sure.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Crayton is great. Any disappearing acts that he has had down the stretch = Parcells + Todd Haley (my nemesis). He has never had an issue - he doesn't have world class speed, but throw it, he will be open, and he will catch it.

Want my money? Garrett will LOVE Crayton. It's my hope that he stays a Cowboys for years to come.

Hurd, Austin are fast and tall. They haven't done jack compared to Crayton yet.

Gameover

Reaction score
Jimz31;1375415 said:
I think Crayton can be more than a #3.....you give a guy a chance and he can make the most out of it. If T.O. weren't here, I think he'd be the #2 right now.

The guy is a terrific WR....wouldn't be surprised to see him as a #1 before his career is over. I don't think that he was used properly this past year by BP. The guy just rarely dropped balls and he made plays....there just weren't enough plays called to go his way, IMO. He is one of my favorite players now, even though he doesn't get all the playing time that I would like to see him get.

I agree

He's a poor man's(very poor)Cris Carter.

The guy just knows how to get open.He's a crafty bastid.

sago1

Reaction score
Love Crayton and definitely think he has the ability to be a #2 WR but he won't get many catches so long as we have TO and Glenn. On the other hand because both starters are about 33/34, injuries are a fact of life and we must be prepared and that means Crayton has to be here to step in. But I also want to see Hurd and Austin develop and that means both need to get on the field so they also catches a few balls from Romo. Frankly, even if Jerry Jones does bring TO back this year, very doubtful if he does so in 08 and one of these guys must step forward. Hopefully Soprano has been studying game film with Garrett and both have seen enough of our young WRs to form a negative/positive impression. If that's the case, both of them including Crayton should gets quite a few catches in the upcoming 3 mini-camps in May & June. I do look forward to TC this year.

Must admit I'm somewhat concerned about our drafts in the late rounds. I understand we have an extra 6th and 2 more 7th rounders and Parcells was so good on those picks and their development. We also seem to pick up a couple of undrafted rookie free agents who show enough that we keep them and they make contributions. Hopefully Ireland comes thru again and Garrett and Soprano do just as well. It's sure going to be interesting.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Hailmary;1375617 said:
My bad on the Rector comment, given his age, I thougt he bounced around for a while. I still see very little potential in him tho.

As for the Austin comment, you have to admit that BP was very slow and often times reluctant to play some of the younger guys.

Soooooo...who would you have benched? TO? Glenn? Crayton?

I hear the whine of TO not getting enough balls...I hear the whine of not enough balls thrown to Crayton. Now it's Austin, Hurd, Rector...Good grief people! You're going to have to throw the ball 700 times to get these guys enough touches.

These guys were drafted low and signed as young free agents to be developed hopefully into something for the future. You know the future? The thing that wasn't being thought of(allegedly) around here the last few years?

I've heard this drivel about no QB being developed as long as BP was here. Guess you all had to give up on that whine....time for the next one.

adamknite

Reaction score
I totally agree with mosst everything that has been said about Crayton. I had a hunch, I don't know why, the day he was drafted that he was going to be a pretty good reciever for us and i loved the pick, don't ask it was just one of those feelings you get about a certain player. (However I also was very excited when the Boys drafted Skylar Green too.......)

Crayton is a great #3 and I think he would be a good #2 guy, he has great hands and he's quick. Also like others have said he runs solid routes which help him get open and in good position to make a catch.

nicodywill

Reaction score
miles austin? i don't remember anything but that kickoff return for a touchdown the the whole year from him?that makes him have the most upside i don't seem to see the logic here?

CowboyBlog

Reaction score
Jimz31;1375415 said:

Good post.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Jimz31;1375415 said:

I think a lot of that depends on what you consider a #1 WR. Is it a 60+ guy year after year or is it a WR who is always where they should be, especially when the QB is in trouble.

On a team with Terry Glenn and Jason Witten, Crayton still has the best hands on this team and the only thing that has prevented him from being considered the' go-to guy is opportunity.

Crayton is a keeper, Hurd will fight the drafted rookie for the 4th spot.

Also, don't be fooled, remember that this is the same team that hyped Anthony Miller & Billie Davis as the #2 for a H.O.F. WR, QB & RB.

Hailmary

Reaction score
jackrussell;1375697 said:
Soooooo...who would you have benched? TO? Glenn? Crayton?

I hear the whine of TO not getting enough balls...I hear the whine of not enough balls thrown to Crayton. Now it's Austin, Hurd, Rector...Good grief people! You're going to have to throw the ball 700 times to get these guys enough touches.

These guys were drafted low and signed as young free agents to be developed hopefully into something for the future. You know the future? The thing that wasn't being thought of(allegedly) around here the last few years?

I've heard this drivel about no QB being developed as long as BP was here. Guess you all had to give up on that whine....time for the next one.

Crayton.

And not so much bench, but have a rotation going btwn Crayton, Austin and Hurd for a few series throughout the game.

Do you think Colston would have seen the field as a positional player this year had we drafted him? I'm guessing no.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;1375401 said:
What's everyone else's thoughts on these guys and are we going to look at WR on the first day of the draft?
Crayton is a keeper I agree. Hurd has shown some ability. He is really the key to what we do in the draft. I think it is this simple, if he can be a #1 or #2 we don't need to draft a WR early day one. If he isn't, then we do.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1375408 said:
Miles Austin has the most upside of any young WR on the current roster, however Crayton is a nice third WR.

Go Hawks!!
NARXZUCRFVJVOJP.20070205155645.jpg

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Hailmary;1376010 said:
Crayton.

And not so much bench, but have a rotation going btwn Crayton, Austin and Hurd for a few series throughout the game.

Do you think Colston would have seen the field as a positional player this year had we drafted him? I'm guessing no.

But then we wouldn't have gotten more balls to Crayton! Aren't you listening!?!

Now, back to your what if a player we don't have guessing.

Angus

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1375408 said:
Miles Austin has the most upside of any young WR on the current roster, however Crayton is a nice third WR.

Agreed.

Angus

Reaction score
sago1;1375684 said:
Love Crayton and definitely think he has the ability to be a #2 WR but he won't get many catches so long as we have TO and Glenn. On the other hand because both starters are about 33/34, injuries are a fact of life and we must be prepared and that means Crayton has to be here to step in. But I also want to see Hurd and Austin develop and that means both need to get on the field so they also catches a few balls from Romo. Frankly, even if Jerry Jones does bring TO back this year, very doubtful if he does so in 08 and one of these guys must step forward. Hopefully Soprano has been studying game film with Garrett and both have seen enough of our young WRs to form a negative/positive impression. If that's the case, both of them including Crayton should gets quite a few catches in the upcoming 3 mini-camps in May & June. I do look forward to TC this year.

Must admit I'm somewhat concerned about our drafts in the late rounds. I understand we have an extra 6th and 2 more 7th rounders and Parcells was so good on those picks and their development. We also seem to pick up a couple of undrafted rookie free agents who show enough that we keep them and they make contributions. Hopefully Ireland comes thru again and Garrett and Soprano do just as well. It's sure going to be interesting.

I doubt it was Parcells making the good late picks. I think it was Ireland, and if he remains in Dallas, I think it will continue.