The Good news- Bad news with our OL

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe in being proactive about problems on NFL rosters. In fact, in the NFL, if you wait until something is a big problem before you take action, you’re killing your future. Waiting is losing. Last year, we were absorbing a lot of bad news regarding our OL bit by bit.

Our once great OL has been raising some red flags for years that we need to address these positions very soon with some draft capital. There’s some good news and bad news about our once great OL.

THE GOOD NEWS
  • Tyron Smith (knock on wood) seems healthy again although he’s not as dominant as he once was.
  • Zack Martin is back healthy and as dominant as ever after missing 6 games last year due to a calf strain.
  • Connor McGovern has developed into a very good option at G, providing much needed depth.
  • Tyler Biadaz- has become a decent center. He’s no T-Fred but that’s a very high bar. And he’s still developing.
  • Terrance Steele appears to have improved his game enough to be a decent swing T providing some depth.
Good news is our OL has some depth that we lacked in recent years.

THE BAD NEWS

Last year we heard the news in late August that La’el Collins was going to miss the entire year because of a hip injury sustained in a car accident. Even before Collins was announced we had received the bad news that Travis Frederick was retiring, one year after missing the entire 2018 season due to Gillian- Barre’ disease. After 3 games last year, we learned our once great LT Tyron Smith would miss the remainder of the season because of a persistent neck injury that required surgery. And just for good measure our All Pro RG Zack Martin missed some games due to a calf strain.

So let’s look at how many games we have lost due to injury or suspension with these our once great OL:
  • Tyron Smith- between 2012-2016, Smith was quite simply our best player. A true dominant T. But he’s missed 25 games the last 5 seasons due to injury. Fingers crossed the surgery fixed him. But at 30, he’s not getting any younger.
  • La’el Collins- since he joined the team in 2015, he will have missed 35 games due to injury or suspension. Is this guy even reliable enough to count on any more?
  • Games missed between T. Smith and Collins: 60 games will have been missed between our two starting tackles. This doesn’t include the 6 games Zack Martin missed last year.
A red flag has been raised about this once great OL. We can’t keep paying these starting Ts so much cap space for them to continue missing huge chunks of time. Ty Smith hopefully has regained some health. But he’s clearly not as great as he once was. Collins? He can’t be trusted to be there.

Good news is our line has better depth this year. Bad news is we better be prepared to address the T position very soon with some serious draft capital.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I believe in being proactive about problems on NFL rosters. In fact, in the NFL, if you wait until something is a big problem before you take action, you’re killing your future. Waiting is losing. Last year, we were absorbing a lot of bad news regarding our OL bit by bit.

Our once great OL has been raising some red flags for years that we need to address these positions very soon with some draft capital. There’s some good news and bad news about our once great OL.

THE GOOD NEWS
  • Tyron Smith (knock on wood) seems healthy again although he’s not as dominant as he once was.
  • Zack Martin is back healthy and as dominant as ever after missing 6 games last year due to a calf strain.
  • Connor McGovern has developed into a very good option at G, providing much needed depth.
  • Tyler Biadaz- has become a decent center. He’s no T-Fred but that’s a very high bar. And he’s still developing.
  • Terrance Steele appears to have improved his game enough to be a decent swing T providing some depth.

THE BAD NEWS

Last year we heard the news in late August that La’el Collins was going to miss the entire year because of a hip injury sustained in a car accident. Even before Collins was announced we had received the bad news that Travis Frederick was retiring, one year after missing the entire 2018 season due to Gillian- Barre’ disease. After 3 games last year, we learned our once great LT Tyron Smith would miss the remainder of the season because of a persistent neck injury that required surgery. And just for good measure our All Pro RG Zack Martin missed some games due to a calf strain.

So let’s look at how many games we have lost due to injury or suspension with these our once great OL:
  • Tyron Smith- between 2012-2016, Smith was quite simply our best player. A true dominant T. But he’s missed 25 games the last 5 seasons due to injury. Fingers crossed the surgery fixed him. But at 30, he’s not getting any younger.
  • La’el Collins- since he joined the team in 2015, he will have missed 35 games due to injury or suspension. Is this guy even reliable enough to count on any more?
  • Games missed between T. Smith and Collins: 60 games will have been missed between our two starting tackles. This doesn’t include the 6 games Zack Martin missed last year.
A red flag has been raised about this once great OL. We can’t keep playing these starting Ts so much cap space for them to continue missing huge chunks of time. Ty Smith hopefully has regained some health. But he’s clearly not as great as he once was. Collins? He can’t be trusted to be there.

Good news is our line has better depth this year. Bad news is we better be prepared to address the T position very soon with some serious draft capital.

If you are paying close attention Biadaz might be replaced in the coming weeks. There are reports that both the Conners are taking snaps at the position in practice. I don't think this is about a backup plan, but looking to play their best 5. Something to watch as the season progresses.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We must hope the FO doesn’t wait until Tyron can’t play any more or until Collins proves untrustworthy once again to address the Tackle position. It’s time.
I agree they need to address the OT position but I don't think they've neglected it. Steele is doing good filling in for La'el. Tyron will be much harder to replace when that need arises.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree they need to address the OT position but I don't think they've neglected it. Steele is doing good filling in for La'el. Tyron will be much harder to replace when that need arises.
Good teams don’t wait until “that need arises”. T Smith is in the last stages of his career. Collins? Anybody still ready to count on that guy? And we were lucky to get Steele. He wasn’t even drafted and even with his development is probably not more than a good backup swing T.

Creeper

Reaction score
I suggest everyone go watch highlights of the Cowboys 2016 season, especially Zeke highlights. The play of the Cowboys offensive line in 2016 is going to shock you compared to what they are today. Leary was a road grader in the running game, and Travis Frederick was too.

The offensive line today is a shell of what it was then. Don't get me wrong, they are still good enough when healthy to protect Dak, but the OL is a big reason they struggle against the run in some games.

Tussinman

Reaction score
They'll continue to develop Steele/Ball and then most likely go Tackle in the first 3 rounds of the 2022 draft.

I'd be more worried about interior of the line. Williams is gone after this year (a team will overpay for him in free agency), McGovern only has 1 year left after this season, and Tyler is struggling.

Techsass

Reaction score
I agree we need to refresh our Oline, but we don't need to spend a bunch of 1st round picks doing it.

Tyron should be good for a few more years, if the surgery did what it was supposed to do. I'm more concerned with La'el's hip, but that's mainly because I'm not real clear how you fix a loss of cartilage issue or if you even can fix it.

conner01

Reaction score
If you are paying close attention Biadaz might be replaced in the coming weeks. There are reports that both the Conners are taking snaps at the position in practice. I don't think this is about a backup plan, but looking to play their best 5. Something to watch as the season progresses.
Nothing unusual about backups taking snaps

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good teams don’t wait until “that need arises”. T Smith is in the last stages of his career. Collins? Anybody still ready to count on that guy? And we were lucky to get Steele. He wasn’t even drafted and even with his development is probably not more than a good backup swing T.
It's all about the cap, you can't have quality backups.....one we can't afford them. Two, if they are quality they want to get paid and be on the field.
We can't blow draft picks on too many backups when we still have need on defense.
My 2 cents

conner01

Reaction score
I agree we need to refresh our Oline, but we don't need to spend a bunch of 1st round picks doing it.

Tyron should be good for a few more years, if the surgery did what it was supposed to do. I'm more concerned with La'el's hip, but that's mainly because I'm not real clear how you fix a loss of cartilage issue or if you even can fix it.
In a way we already are
We seen Steele growing into a solid player
And we had Farniok show a little something in camp
MCGovern and Farniok compete for CW spot next year

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's all about the cap, you can't have quality backups.....one we can't afford them. Two, if they are quality they want to get paid and be on the field.
We can't blow draft picks on too many backups when we still have need on defense.
My 2 cents
I hear ya brother. But I’m not talking about backups. I’m talking about needing two starting Ts very soon.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

THE GOOD NEWS

THE BAD NEWS

A red flag has been raised about this once great OL. We can’t keep paying these starting Ts so much cap space for them to continue missing huge chunks of time. Ty Smith hopefully has regained some health. But he’s clearly not as great as he once was. Collins? He can’t be trusted to be there.

The Offensive line is still playing at a very high level. Sure they’re old but not that old. Tyron and Martin are both just 30 and have a few more years if they stay healthy. Teams should always be investing in the OL so I don’t think there’s any “bad news” concerning the line.

Hardline

Reaction score
It would most likely take a top 5 pick to get him but I would take him if available.

Neal-profile.png

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Collins was good week 1. No reason to doubt he'll be fine once he serves his suspension. Turns out they did not wait to develop a serviceable fill-in for Collins. Steele had a good offseason and looked great last week considering he handed Joey Bosa an uneventful day. Tyron is rare talent so I'm more understanding why a replacement for him is harder to find.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Offensive line is still playing at a very high level. Sure they’re old but not that old. Tyron and Martin are both just 30 and have a few more years if they stay healthy. Teams should always be investing in the OL so I don’t think there’s any “bad news” concerning the line.
I agree with you Rock that Ty Smith and Zack Martin are still really good. Especially Martin. But the bad news is our two starting Ts- Smith and Collins have missed 60 games the last 4 years between them. We can’t keep depending on guys that miss that much. I’m just saying we need to consider drafting a T early in the draft next year. Being proactive is better than waiting until Smith is broken down or Collins can’t play again to take action.