The Great Mysteries of the Dallas Cowboys

Number1

Reaction score
1. Why did Seattle let Kris Richard go if he is going to revolutionize the Dallas D?

Kris had something to do with that ... money and opportunity

2. Do the Cowboys really believe Rico Gathers is a football player?

yes, how good a player is the issue

3. Why does Dallas insist on making players change positions - Showers, Neal, Smith, Jones, Chido (maybe), Crawford?

the need for position flex on 44 man roster

4. Was it Dak's or Dez's fault?

neither, mostly luck

5. Why does it appear that Scott Linehan can only game plan every other season?

poor perception of Scott's mediocrity

6. With all that talent on the OL, why were they so terrible at pass protection last year?

injuries and slow targets, besides Martin and Frederick are overrated

7. Why is Jaylon Smith even considered to be a Mike? Isn't he better using his athletic ability at the Will or Sam?

that's simplistic question based on 4.3 run oriented thinking, this is a 4-2 base system (and rather experimental)

8. Is it possible that Cole B is a better rapper than WR?

yes

9. Why doesn't Coach Rod want a big fat guy at the 1Tech?

this in an attack D

10. Why has it been so hard to find a S?

Heath & Woods weren't hard to find and they're pretty good, Jones was a force fit

Bonus - Is winning really the most important thing to Jerry?

I don't know the man

Flamma

Reaction score
I have an opinion on the bonus question.

I watch the players not the owner. With very few exceptions, when winning becomes the most important thing for players, I'll begin to worry about what the owners think. Don't get me wrong, I do believe everyone wants to win and be a winner. But as long as other conditions are met first.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
1. Why did Seattle let Kris Richard go if he is going to revolutionize the Dallas D?
SEA wanted to shift money from defense to offense and plan to build around Russell Wilson. They want to rebuild on defense and Richard favored those vets.
Ask yourself why Earl Thomas was begging Dallas to "come get him"? IF you want to read what they think Seattle beside it beaing the "least explainable" coaching move.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...-he-blitzed-too-much-a-look-into-the-numbers/

2. Do the Cowboys really believe Rico Gathers is a football player?
They think he's a maybe. Not sure they love his make up and personality but they do love his physical tools.
Guys never been above 4th string and they IR'd him last year.

3. Why does Dallas insist on making players change positions - Showers, Neal, Smith, Jones, Chido (maybe), Crawford?
In Smith's case it created a solid career for a guy who was only going to be a special teamer at LB. For Showers it was about a guy who they loved as a team guy that does everything in his power and can help on special teams. They are just finding ways to keep him on the roster.
Regardless of level coaches do this to give guys a shot at a position where they are either badly needed or have a better chance to compete.
Contrary to fan idiocy, they do not do so to make the player worse or hurt the team results. Jones. Chido and Crawford were tweeners coming out of college and scouts felt they could play multiple positions.

4. Was it Dak's or Dez's fault?
Dez was never fully healthy the past few seasons. He walked like an old man so of course his running was effected. Guys with bad ankles and knees don't have beautiful route running. He also felt that inevitable window closing and it drove him crazy. IMHO his ranting and raving is probably how Romo and Witten should have acted too. 'Never go quietly into that good night but rage against....' See Tom Brady.
Dak is a good QB but he's not a magician. He needs an OL. Plenty of stats suggest he's excellent when he has a good one and pretty blah when he doesn't. Eli Manning won 2 super bowls being the same way. Dak can make plays but he's not making an entire offense like Romo had to do.

5. Why does it appear that Scott Linehan can only game plan every other season?
Linehan is considered a top 10 play caller but like any playcaller if he loses the guys executing the plays he won't be much good.
All these guys have core beliefs and ways of doing things that eventually age out like the Flex Defense and Tampa 2 did.

6. With all that talent on the OL, why were they so terrible at pass protection last year?
Because a lot of that talent wasn't around. They lost Leary, Free and had half a Tyron Smith. 2.5 starters from the year prior gone.
Good luck making that into chicken salad.

7. Why is Jaylon Smith even considered to be a Mike? Isn't he better using his athletic ability at the Will or Sam?
He grew into a Mike and his lateral movement was always going to be the hardest thing to recover given his injuries. He added a lot of muscle and strength during rehab. He's now prototypical NFL Mike size. 6'2" and 245 pounds. His biggest issue was in covering guys last year. Jaylon's best plays were mostly in the backfield last year. He is an attacking player that is very physical. Sam might be good for him but Dallas uses one on only about 15% of the plays.

8. Is it possible that Cole B is a better rapper than WR?
Sure it's possible. He has some talent there and sounds better than a lot of non-athletes. All that said he has put together 250+ NFL catches, 20 TDS and 2600 receiving yards suggesting he's been pretty successful as a WR. Guys kinda living a dream at both. 5'8" 180 pound dude from a one high school town has made it in both fields. Kudos to him.

9. Why doesn't Coach Rod want a big fat guy at the 1Tech?
Because his defense is based off movement and effort. Those massive dudes just eat space which means it also dictates what the other DL can do. Rod wants guys who can stunt and twist on passing downs. You can;t ask end sot work down the line of the NT can only hold the point of attack and not also work down or you see huge cut back lanes. This is why Nose Tackle play across the league has retreated and a guy like Ngata is playing for 2.6M-3M this year.

10. Why has it been so hard to find a S?
It hasn't. Fans are just fickle and think you need a top 5 player at every position. Dallas has had quality safeties here like Barry Church that fans poo poo.
NFL has decided safety is a spot they can piecemeal. Use a box guy or two in some sets and nickel corner types on others. They can find those guys in round 4-6 of every draft.

Bonus - Is winning really the most important thing to Jerry?
Important? Of course it is. Jerry literally thinks of winning as his winning. He cares a great deal there.
Most important? Does he care more about money? Probably so.
I mean would you rather your job give you a 5K raise or to win the company bowling tourney?
--I won my companies bowling tourney and 6 months later took a higher paying offer.
The Dallas Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the universe.
Jerry wins that title every year.
Super Bowl champs rotate and are temporary.