The Great North American 2024 Total Solar Eclipse April 8th, 2024

triplets_93

Reaction score

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Took the family to Nashville for the last eclipse. From Louisiana. Awesome experience, unlike anything else.

This one closer, oldest child and wife and grandson live East of Dallas, shorter trip.

Looking forward to it!

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It's awesome. It came directly over Boise a couple years ago. It's a very unique experience and even a touch eerie.

If you're within striking distance, I would say take the time to go experience it.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I'm dead center in the path here in NW Vermont. They're expecting 150k visitors, which is triple the population. Phish drew 68k years ago and that practically shut down the roads.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'm dead center in the path here in NW Vermont. They're expecting 150k visitors, which is triple the population. Phish drew 68k years ago and that practically shut down the roads.
Hotels in the Dallas, TX area and for at least 100 miles from the area are totally booked, any that aren't are going for over 2.5X the price ($150 normal, now $400).

triplets_93

Reaction score
I went outside to my porch today, looking South, and noted the position of the sun in the sky, and based on what I saw, there should be no trees or buildings blocking my view of the eclipse on April 8th.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Texas places in the center line of Totality April 8, 2024
From a map by Xavier M. Jubier

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/xSE_GoogleMap3.php?Ecl=+20240408

GARNER STATE PARK
RIO FRIO
LOST MAPLES STATE NATURAL AREA
INGRAM
CRABAPPLE
BUCHANNAN LAKE
PIDCOKE
GATESVILLE
VALLEY MILLS
AQUILLA
AVALON
BARDWELL LAKE
LAKE CLARK
KACHINA PRARIE PARK
OLD LAKE
ENNIS
OAK RIDGE
LAKE TAWAKANI
MILLER GROVE
LAKE SULPHUR SPRINGS
BOGATA
CLARKSVILLE
LANGFORD CLUB LAKE

Creeper

Reaction score
We're supposed to see 91% coverage of the sun here in NJ. I have a welders mask to watch it but it still needs more UV filtering to prevent damage to my eyes. I am working on that and hope to have a solution by tomorrow.

quickccc

Reaction score
Count down ...tick...tick...tick

I'm watching no via solar glasses, and thus it's a yellow moon !

If no glasses... it's a complete sun blinding flare of a glare.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I’m a few miles from the small dark spot that has perfect night. Was tempted to drive into the hole. LOL

SlammedZero

Reaction score
We are only getting about 33% here in Boise, Idaho. All good, we were in the complete Path of Totality in 2017. It was a neat experience. Kind of eerie.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s always confused me for the eclipse terms. Seems like it would make more sense to call this a lunar seeing how the moon is blocking the sun. Thus, a solar should mean the sun casts the shadow of earth to the moon. Oh well, i’ll have to deal with such nonsense :muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We were getting about 95% totality at 1:49 pm here in northeastern Louisiana but the clouds got us. I took one photo about 1:28 pm when the eclipse broke through for about 15 seconds and that was it. Guess I should feel lucky seeing only 70%-75% totality. :(

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s always confused me for the eclipse terms. Seems like it would make more sense to call this a lunar seeing how the moon is blocking the sun. Thus, a solar should mean the sun casts the shadow of earth to the moon. Oh well, i’ll have to deal with such nonsense :muttley:
You big silly. Eclipses are for what gets blocked. It is a SOLAR eclipse whenever Mike McCarthy comes between you and the sun, not a McCarthy eclipse. :grin:

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Solar eclipse = blocking sunlight

Lunar eclipse = blocking moonlight

How that helps. ‍o_O