The Great North American 2024 Total Solar Eclipse April 8th, 2024

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know how and why eclipses are called those terms guys….just saying that I probably would have interchanged them from the start. Instead of what is being blocked, it would be what is doing the blocking :laugh:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
We are only getting about 33% here in Boise, Idaho. All good, we were in the complete Path of Totality in 2017. It was a neat experience. Kind of eerie.
You really can see why a lot of famous religious moments or omens happened during eclipses, comets and such. That must have spooked the hell out of ancient people without the benefit of today's technology.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Solar eclipse = blocking sunlight

Lunar eclipse = blocking moonlight

How that helps. ‍o_O
No, the Lunar eclipse is still blocking sunlight. It's just being blocked by Earth. The terms are inconsistent with each other.

Maybe the Solar eclipse should be changed to Terran eclipse?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You really can see why a lot of famous religious moments or omens happened during eclipses, comets and such. That must have spooked the hell out of ancient people without the benefit of today's technology.
I was saying that to someone at work today. Because you don't see the moon moving toward the sun, so they wouldn't have even known anything until it got dark.

Then they sacrifice someone and the sun comes back.

Columbus used his knowledge of the upcoming eclipse to trick the inhabitants of Jamaica into supplying his men with food.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I was saying that to someone at work today. Because you don't see the moon moving toward the sun, so they wouldn't have even known anything until it got dark.

Then they sacrifice someone and the sun comes back.

Columbus used his knowledge of the upcoming eclipse to trick the inhabitants of Jamaica into supplying his men with food.
Funny, I also had this conversation at work today with some co-workers. :laugh:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It was amazing to see here in Cleveland. They had a water cannon salute about an hour prior (I was at a beach here in Cleveland). About 5-10 minutes prior to totality, they had fireworks to signal to put the glasses on and look. Then, they shot more fireworks as the totality happened. The cheering was amazing. It was truly amazing.

nobody

Reaction score
It was really cool and the clouds didn't interrupt the totality.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Had a great time at the Greenville Sports Park. Good music, food trucks, and plenty of room. The weather could have been better as we lost about a minute of totality to a passing cloud, but it certainly could also have been worse so I'll take it.

The sight is absolutely breathtaking. The moment you go from 99.99% coverage to 100% totality is probably the single most amazing thing I have ever personally witnessed with my own two eyes.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Living in Dallas....well, it was pretty mind-blowing.

Exceeded expectations

Nighttime during the day
Crickets chirping
Temperature dropped quickly
Weird breeze popped up

Spectacular

Last edited:

triplets_93

Reaction score
When I was in college, on top of the 19 story RLM (now PMA) building on the UT Austin campus, after a late night Astronomy Dept. viewing of the sky, we stayed around to watch the sun come up, to watch the end of the overnight eclipse of the sun end...

As we looked to the eastern horizon, the sky turned purpleish before the image of the sun first appeared.

That night was the first time I ever saw the rings of Saturn through a telescope (a Cassegrain).

Also, on the UT campus, I got to look through the Painter Hall 9" refracting Telescope as one of Jupiter's moons cast it's shadow, as it traversed across the face of the planet.