Video: The Great Wall of Dallas: A Football Life

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I remember them very well...with Riggins running behind them. Very good Oline, but how many Super Bowls did the Commanders win behind the Hogs? I don't believe it was 3 Super Bowl wins the way the Cowboys won behind The Great Wall of Dallas.

Am I right or wrong?
Actually, Joe Jacoby, Russ Grimm and Jeff Bostic were together for three of the Commanders' Super Bowl victories and one in which they lost to the Raiders. So, technically, they went to more Super Bowls than the Cowboys' offensive line. Mark May was around for two of the Skins' Super Bowl wins and played in three, and George Starke was around for one.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It’s a great one. Loved it.

Just a side note...I’ve been a diehard fan since 1964...I honestly do not remember that great line ever being called “The Great Wall of Dallas”. It’s an appropriate name and I like it. But for the life of me I never heard that term until this doc came out. Am I crazy of did anyone else experience that?

I think it's just the name NFL Films used when they decided to do their a Football Life on the Cowboys line. I think it was quite appropriate though. Sort of like when they coined the name America's Team for the Cowboys.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's just the name NFL Films used when they decided to do their a Football Life on the Cowboys line. I think it was quite appropriate though. Sort of like when they coined the name America's Team for the Cowboys.
I agree that it’s appropriate. It was just created a long time after the fact.
And while the “America’s Team” tag was also created by NFL films, they created it contemporaneously- at the time it was happening, not 20 years later.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The 1991 washington Commanders offensive line was better.

Their is no shame in giving credit to other teams, it doesn't take away one bit from how good this group was.

The bronco's in the late 90's had great offensive lines. The 1980's 49ers had fantastic offensive lines.

and the 1990 bills line was fantastic also as was the giants line in 90.

But did NFL Films do A Football Life about any of those. lines? Something like this is all subjective by individuals and I don't agree with your opinion that Dallas didn't have the best line.

quickccc

Reaction score
Actually, Allen was mentioned in the documentary. You need to watch it again.

at the very back end when Doc was about ending - 95% of it was the cast of Tunieu, Newton, Stepnoski Gogan,Big E and Gesek.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Actually, Joe Jacoby, Russ Grimm and Jeff Bostic were together for three of the Commanders' Super Bowl victories and one in which they lost to the Raiders. So, technically, they went to more Super Bowls than the Cowboys' offensive line. Mark May was around for two of the Skins' Super Bowl wins and played in three, and George Starke was around for one.
Not bad but still not as good as The Great Wall of Dallas of the 90s.

Mark Tuinei, Nate Newton and Erik Williams were there for all 3 (92, 93 & 95 SB Championship seasons) of the Cowboys Championships. John Gesek, Kevin Gogan and Mark Stepnoski were there for the first two (92 & 93 SB Championship seasons). Last but not least, Larry Allen was there for the 95 SB Championship season, along with Ray Donaldson.

It's clear the Cowboys of the 90s 3 Super Bowl Championships had the most talent on their Oline.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Great Wall of fame were so dominant collectively, and Big E eventually developed into hall of fame dominant and before the car accident
he was only one HOF deserving- no OL guy frustrated and dominant HOFers Reggie white and Strahan like he did.

as a cowboys fan i loved Nate Newton and he was a pro bowler for sure but as a hall of famer, i'm not in his corner as a shoe in for that category honorary,
Aside from Big E, the rest were not on that HOF level. .
i've always thought hall of famer award achievements should be for the " creme of the crop" players. There are tons of tons of pro bowl players,
i.e. even Pat Donovan and herb Scott were pro bowlers -but they were not Hall of Famers..imo .

Ditto with Tuneiu, Stepnoski and Gogan... of course Gesek was never a pro bowler but fill in marvelously as a Step sub.
and that documentary was made out to the Cowboys OL before the arrival of Larry Allen who saw time at OT before he was permanently moved
inside to OG - where again he became the best, most dominating OG in NFL history.
:grin:

I think you need to watch this again because the narrator actually talks about the new guard Larry Allen, so this documentary includes Allen as the LG.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Not bad but still not as good as The Great Wall of Dallas of the 90s.

Mark Tuinei, Nate Newton and Erik Williams were there for all 3 (92, 93 & 95 SB Championship seasons) of the Cowboys Championships. John Gesek, Kevin Gogan and Mark Stepnoski were there for the first two (92 & 93 SB Championship seasons). Last but not least, Larry Allen was there for the 95 SB Championship season, along with Ray Donaldson.

It's clear the Cowboys of the 90s 3 Super Bowl Championships had the most talent on their Oline.

That's not my debate. You just asked if they had won three Super Bowls. Three of them did. And the Hogs core went to more Super Bowls (4) than the core of the Cowboys. Who was better? I'll leave that argument to fan discretion. :)

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

OK then I'll move the needle a little bit or a lot of bit for the Cowboys line. Which line NEVER LOST a Super Bowl?

Plankton

Reaction score
Not to diminish the Cowboy offensive line of the 1990s, but a very strong argument can be made that the Oakland Raider offensive line from 1971-1973 was the best OL of all time. Four of the five members of that line are in the Hall of Fame - Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, Jim Otto and Bob Brown.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
OK then I'll move the needle a little bit or a lot of bit for the Cowboys line. Which line NEVER LOST a Super Bowl?
So? The Cowboys won three, the Commanders won three. The Commanders line played in four. They were still good enough to get there.
That's like people arguing that Montana is better than Brady because Montana never lost a Super Bowl. Okay. And Brady won six. So what if he has three losses. He got to 9.
But if that's your criterion, fine.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Not to diminish the Cowboy offensive line of the 1990s, but a very strong argument can be made that the Oakland Raider offensive line from 1971-1973 was the best OL of all time. Four of the five members of that line are in the Hall of Fame - Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, Jim Otto and Bob Brown.

How many Super Bowls did they win? Position popularity changes from year to year. Some years a lot of big men get in the HOF and other years the skilled positions are the primary positions that make it. After a while some have to wait until they move into the aged group and some get bypassed and every year there are sportswriters who write about forgotten players that should have gotten looks. Yes it's great that the raiders have 4 HOF linemen., although Brown got in from his play as an eagle.

Plankton

Reaction score
How many Super Bowls did they win? Position popularity changes from year to year. Some years a lot of big men get in the HOF and other years the skilled positions are the primary positions that make it. After a while some have to wait until they move into the aged group and some get bypassed and every year there are sportswriters who write about forgotten players that should have gotten looks. Yes it's great that the raiders have 4 HOF linemen., although Brown got in from his play as an eagle.

I'm not one that thinks Super Bowls is the criteria to indicate whether an offensive line is great. The Raiders, during this stretch in time, was in the top five in winning percentage in the league. They happened to play in an AFC that had a fantastic Dolphin team that went undefeated, and a Steeler dynasty.