The iPhone

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I have been fed up with my Blackberry Storm for quite sometime, I just didn't want to switch from Verizon to ATT.

However, I have pretty much decided to get an iPhone (even though my brother is hyping up the Google G1).

1. Can you use the iPhone like an IPod? Meaning, you can load songs you download (Limewire, Bittorrent etc etc) to your desktop onto your iPhone. My car radio has a USB port and my IPod got fried as I was stupid enough to leave it in the car in 100+ degree heat. So I could kill two birds with one stone by getting a great phone that can serve as an IPod.

2. Is there an iPhone app that allows you to keep track of username and passwords for websites and such. I have a ton of websites I visit and I have software that I have written that allows me to look up this information but I want to get rid of it.

3. How is the ATT network? Are there alot of dropped calls, is it comparable to Verizon?

4. I heard the Safari Browser cannot play Flash, so I am assuming if you browse to websites that have flash, they won't work?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2886478 said:
I have been fed up with my Blackberry Storm for quite sometime, I just didn't want to switch from Verizon to ATT.

However, I have pretty much decided to get an iPhone (even though my brother is hyping up the Google G1).

1. Can you use the iPhone like an IPod? Meaning, you can load songs you download (Limewire, Bittorrent etc etc) to your desktop onto your iPhone. My car radio has a USB port and my IPod got fried as I was stupid enough to leave it in the car in 100+ degree heat. So I could kill two birds with one stone by getting a great phone that can serve as an IPod.

2. Is there an iPhone app that allows you to keep track of username and passwords for websites and such. I have a ton of websites I visit and I have software that I have written that allows me to look up this information but I want to get rid of it.

3. How is the ATT network? Are there alot of dropped calls, is it comparable to Verizon?

4. I heard the Safari Browser cannot play Flash, so I am assuming if you browse to websites that have flash, they won't work?

I can answer #3.

Of all the area's I have been in from FL to AZ to VA to TX I have never had a problem with ATT......other than them trying to charge me $75 for an "early upgrade"...10 days early :rolleyes:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Yes you can use the iPhone like an iPod.

I switched from Verizon to ATT and really havent noticed a difference in dropped calls since they did the first firmware upgrade on my iPhone 3G. The first version was a bit buggy and both mine and my business partners phones were dropping calls but I think it was more software related then ATT related. Since then I have had great service, including in a lot of mountain locations here in Colorado.

I dont really surf the web much with my iPhone so Im not too sure about the flash question.

There are a ton of free apps, including various ones for storing and holding passwords. Some free and others cost up to $10.

Overall I have been really happy with my iPhone, I would recommend getting a cover/cover for it, without one if you drop it on a hard service there is a good chance the screen will get damaged.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score

- Yes !!
2. Is there an iPhone app that allows you to keep track of username and passwords for websites and such. I have a ton of websites I visit and I have software that I have written that allows me to look up this information but I want to get rid of it. - Yes !!

3. How is the ATT network? Are there alot of dropped calls, is it comparable to Verizon? Ive been w/ ATT for over a year now and never have an issue w/ dropped calls.

4. I heard the Safari Browser cannot play Flash, so I am assuming if you browse to websites that have flash, they won't work? - Safari doesn't play flash, then again I don't use my browser to play on the internet. I actually tether my iPhone to be a wi-fi hot spot and hot up using my laptop when Im out. I Jailbroke my iPhone about month ago and love it. The apps available to a jailbroken phone are just amazing. I also still have full access to iTunes and the App store. I have had ZERO problems since softly (software) Jailbreaking it.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

Dallas, would I have to "jailbreak" my iPhone to use it like an IPod? If so, what are the consequences for jailbreaking an iPhone as far as upgrades are concerned?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2886512 said:
Thanks for the comments.

Dallas, would I have to "jailbreak" my iPhone to use it like an IPod? If so, what are the consequences for jailbreaking an iPhone as far as upgrades are concerned?

You don't need to jailbreak it to do that. I actually encourage folks to use the phone like they want then after a few weeks to JB it and see the actual power under the hood the phone has.

For example. I can use this iphone w/ a terminal app i d/l to access my work network from anywhere via command line. It all runs on unix/osx kernel.

Jailbreaking just opens the phone up taking off all the bullcrap restrictions apple puts on it.

Like you can't download more than a 10meg file from the app store. A jailbroken phone doesn't have that issue.

Google Cydia (its the opensource area - basically like the appstore but it has all free applications (1000z of apps - utilis-dictionaries - themes-games-emulation-administration)

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Dallas;2886520 said:
You don't need to jailbreak it to do that. I actually encourage folks to use the phone like they want then after a few weeks to JB it and see the actual power under the hood the phone has.

For example. I can use this iphone w/ a terminal app i d/l to access my work network from anywhere via command line. It all runs on unix/osx kernel.

Jailbreaking just opens the phone up taking off all the bullcrap restrictions apple puts on it.

Like you can't download more than a 10meg file from the app store. A jailbroken phone doesn't have that issue.

Google Cydia (its the opensource area - basically like the appstore but it has all free applications (1000z of apps - utilis-dictionaries - themes-games-emulation-administration)

Thanks for the advice.

Too lazy to look it up, but I am looking at about $300 for the iPhone right?

I think I am going to go get one tommorrow, I just really hate to learn a new keyboard.

The Blackberry Storm is just killing me with the lack of apps, freezes, memory issues etc etc.

My supervisor was showing me a new iPhone app called "Bump" the other day and I thought it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Dallas, let me ask you another question. Say I download the app that allows me to keep track of usernames and passwords. Is this database that holds this information stored on my iPhone or is it being stored on a centralized database server hosted by the makers of the app?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2886530 said:
Thanks for the advice.

Too lazy to look it up, but I am looking at about $300 for the iPhone right?

I think I am going to go get one tommorrow, I just really hate to learn a new keyboard.

The Blackberry Storm is just killing me with the lack of apps, freezes, memory issues etc etc.

My supervisor was showing me a new iPhone app called "Bump" the other day and I thought it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Dallas, let me ask you another question. Say I download the app that allows me to keep track of usernames and passwords. Is this database that holds this information stored on my iPhone or is it being stored on a centralized database server hosted by the makers of the app?

There are about 10 available. I think most of them are stored locally on the phone. Im actually needing to get one for myself.

Im tired of carrying around my list of root passwords for 60 state servers.

:lmao2:

I actually think you can get the 3g phone now (not 3gs) for 99$ w/ new service.

good luck

drop a line anytime if you have ?'s

Its my personal phone and our state's standard mobile device. We support about 200 now at my office.

It's also nice if you are an Exchange user. Good stuff.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Dallas;2886536 said:
There are about 10 available. I think most of them are stored locally on the phone. Im actually needing to get one for myself.

Im tired of carrying around my list of root passwords for 60 state servers.

:lmao2:

I actually think you can get the 3g phone now (not 3gs) for 99$ w/ new service.

good luck

drop a line anytime if you have ?'s

Its my personal phone and our state's standard mobile device. We support about 200 now at my office.

It's also nice if you are an Exchange user. Good stuff.

We have a few also but still have a lot of good palm users. My boss saw that good now supports the iphone. He asked me to check on it. The first thing out of the good tech guys mouth was exch 2k7. That's all I needed to know it wasn't going to happen. :laugh2:

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Mick, there's some way you can play Flash. I basically googled "playing flash on iPhone" and I found a YouTube video where this guy explains how to do it.

I haven't done it yet, but I think it can be done. I'm no tech-wizard, but it seemed pretty easy to do even for me.

I haven't "jailbroken" mine... Dallas, what does it allow you to do that you wouldn't otherwise?

My favorite app is I "Heart" Radio and AOL Radio -- apps that allow me to listen to sports radio in Dallas and San Antonio, even though I'm stuck here in D.C. It's awesome! Pandora's also fantastic.

I used to have Sprint and moving to ATT has been nothing but great.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score

1. Yes

2. There is an app for anything you can imagine....and things you can't imagine.

3. I've had maybe 15 dropped calls in 5 years with ATT. I don't like ANY phone carriers by nature, as I think the whole thing is a friggin rip off, but if you have to have one, ATT is pretty good.

4. I don't download many videos, but the ones that I've tried to view on my iphone have had no problems playing. Most come up on youtube.

BTW...i just got a iphone 3G for my girlfriend for $50 when I added a line for her. It's refurbished, but its only 50 bucks....the non refurbs are going for $99. I don't see enough advantage in the 3Gs to justify spending the difference.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I wonder where I got the $300 figure as the cost of the iPhone?

I went to an ATT store about 4 months ago to test drive the iPhone and he told me there was a huge update coming in July that would fix alot of issues.

I am going to go back to the ATT store tomorrow and just play around with the keyboard as I remember it being kind of hard to type.

I am very interested in Song ID, username/password tracking and Theatre information applications.

It would also be nice to find a nice calendar app that has great scheduling and reminder features.

I miss plugging my IPod into my car radio and someone at work told me that I could use the iPhone as an IPod, so that is a big plus.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Also, at the city, they will not allow any device except for the city issued blackberry (not the storm) to connect to the exchange server.

IT's main issue was that if the iPhone was lost, someone would be able to grab the information. But my boss was asked to do a ton of research on the iPhone and Exchange by a Director and there is software that allows you to remove data remotely from the device.

So you have a bunch of employees walk around with an iPhone for regular use and the stupid city-issued Blackberry of which costs them like $30 bucks a month.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score

so far no browser can play flash SUCH as the flash on NFL.com. Blackberrys and Iphones (and would assume) the Pre can download the youtube videos and play them

what dont you like about your storm?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2886602 said:
I wonder where I got the $300 figure as the cost of the iPhone?

I went to an ATT store about 4 months ago to test drive the iPhone and he told me there was a huge update coming in July that would fix alot of issues.

I am going to go back to the ATT store tomorrow and just play around with the keyboard as I remember it being kind of hard to type.

I am very interested in Song ID, username/password tracking and Theatre information applications.

It would also be nice to find a nice calendar app that has great scheduling and reminder features.

I miss plugging my IPod into my car radio and someone at work told me that I could use the iPhone as an IPod, so that is a big plus.

That upgrade, I'd assume, was the newer iphone 3G "s". Which is the one that costs $300+. It's the third generation iphone.

The one that I have, and that you can get from ATT for $50 right now refurbished is the iphone 3G (2nd gen)....its been good to me, and with the updates that automatically download from itunes, I just don't see enough improvement in the "s" model to justify its cost.

If I had the money to spend, I'd go with the new model, but it isn't like a completely different phone, so I didn't. I love the regular 3G.

Also, if yo go this route, listen to Danny White and get one of the iphone radio apps like Pandora. It's badass.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
the kid 05;2886764 said:
so far no browser can play flash SUCH as the flash on NFL.com. Blackberrys and Iphones (and would assume) the Pre can download the youtube videos and play them

what dont you like about your storm?

1. Occasional random reboots. Not as frequent with the newest update, but I don't think they fixed the memory problem completely. Where if you don't push the "close" option on the BB menu instead of hiting back or some other button to close the app, the app remains in memory, even though you can't see it. So you eventually have a ton of apps running in memory. When driving, it can be difficult to navigate the Storm menu to push close. Much easier to hit the back button.

2. When the phone rings, the screen freezes for a split second when you try to push the answer button.

3. Looking at my Storm right now, there are 18 apps in App World. Yes, the Blackberry is for the "working professional" but when they came out with App World, clearly they were trying to compete with the G1 and the iPhone and are nowhere close.

4. This just started happening with the newest release but when your phone is locked, when you either plug the charger in or take the charger out, the phone unlocks. So when you have the phone charging over night, you are rushing to get to work, so you uplug the charger and put the Storm in your pocket it unlocks and you never know who you could accidentally dial or what apps may be running. It should stay locked until I push the unlock button.

5. No wifi. Yeah, you don't need it alot of times but why on earth would you make a phone that doesn't have wifi?

6. One of the most annoying thing is when you are text messaging and you go over the "160" character limit, the Storm prevents you from typing further and just say "field full". Yes, this is a limit for all Cell Phones, but it is my understand that with the iPhone, it will let you keep typing, but send "N" number of text messages (Example: If you type 480 characters, the person receiving the message will get 3 text messages in 120 characther blocks). Very annoying. Just checked and this hasn't been addressed on the latest upgrade.

This is my 2nd Storm and these are known issues on Crackberry.com, the foremost site on Blackberry Phones.

I'm sure the iPhone and G1 have their problmes, that is why I am going to test them out before buying one. One of the problems I had with the G1 is that it has a physical keyboard but my brother told me the other day that with the newest update, the G1 has a virual keyboard. The great thing about the G1 is that it is made by Google and the apps are Open Source. As a guy that has Open Source Software of his own, this is pretty cool.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
tomson75;2886820 said:
That upgrade, I'd assume, was the newer iphone 3G "s". Which is the one that costs $300+. It's the third generation iphone.

The one that I have, and that you can get from ATT for $50 right now refurbished is the iphone 3G (2nd gen)....its been good to me, and with the updates that automatically download from itunes, I just don't see enough improvement in the "s" model to justify its cost.

If I had the money to spend, I'd go with the new model, but it isn't like a completely different phone, so I didn't. I love the regular 3G.

Also, if yo go this route, listen to Danny White and get one of the iphone radio apps like Pandora. It's badass.

Yes, I am going to get the "newest" model.

Am I understanding this correctly, I cannot play Youtube videos on the iPhone because it doesn't play Flash? If I "jailbreak" it, I will be able too?

Also, do we have any T-Mobile and/or G1 users in the house?

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2886854 said:
Yes, I am going to get the "newest" model.

Am I understanding this correctly, I cannot play Youtube videos on the iPhone because it doesn't play Flash? If I "jailbreak" it, I will be able too?

Also, do we have any T-Mobile and/or G1 users in the house?

You can watch youtube on a regular stock iPhone. In fact, its got a button for Youtube right there on the interface. Videos on youtube play on the iphone as h264, not flash.

DCgirl13

Reaction score
We just got our iphones about a month and a half ago and love them. We got the newer 3G(S) and from what I've heard, the biggest difference over the old one is it is much faster.

I've never had any problems playing a youtube video and you can use it just like an ipod. The phone is almost like an ipod touch with an integrated phone. I can't put it down!

The one thing I love is posting to my online classes via my phone. :laugh2:

I thought I would have service issues because I had ATT 6 years ago and it sucked then, but I've never dropped a call. I used to always drop calls on Verizon.