The Lamb TD over the backup corner. a big (and welcome) difference between Big Mac and Moore

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Many of us screamed at the top of our lungs at how poor the Cowboys offense has been at exploiting matchups in situations like that. It warmed my heart to see us IMMEDIATELY attack the backup when Gonzalez left the game! McCarthy showing yet again that he has a far better feel for play calling than Moore ever had. Mac is playing to win games on the field.. not on Madden.

plymkr

Reaction score
That reminded me a lot of Aaron Rodgers. As soon as a backup went in Green Bay would attack the backup. When we did it and scored and screamed “Finally!”.

There were 2 coaching moves made yesterday that really impressed me. When I mean impressed me, I mean I took a moment to appreciate the coaching staff. This is not something I have done a lot of in 28 years.

One was the Lamb TD against the backup

The other was the 2 point conversion. A couple weeks ago NE blocked a FG by a delayed rush. They were doing that and we caught them and scored. Film study, preparation and execution. McCarthy outcoached Belicheck. Those are words I never thought I would say. McCarthy showed up yesterday.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Many of us screamed at the top of our lungs at how poor the Cowboys offense has been at exploiting matchups in situations like that. It warmed my heart to see us IMMEDIATELY attack the backup when Gonzalez left the game! McCarthy showing yet again that he has a far better feel for play calling than Moore ever had. Mac is playing to win games on the field.. not on Madden.
So Moore never exploited matchups on his way to 3 straight years of the #1 scoring offense in the NFL with Dak at QB?

And just think..............Moore did that all 3 years with the horrid Zeke being featured.

I like the move of MM now calling plays, but this one play victory lap by you is laughable.

Moore use to take his shots at the endzone as soon as we got inside the 30. Maybe MM finally figured that out on the one play.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Solid TD for Lamb but i'm not ready to praise a group struggling to put up TD's vs most other years with KM.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So Moore never exploited matchups on his way to 3 straight years of the #1 scoring offense in the NFL with Dak at QB?

And just think..............Moore did that all 3 years with the horrid Zeke being featured.

I like the move of MM now calling plays, but this one play victory lap by you is laughable.

Moore use to take his shots at the endzone as soon as we got inside the 30. Maybe MM finally figured that out on the one play.
No one said "never." What I said was that they were poor at it. Which they were. Teams could trot you and me out there at corners and Moore would run the same plays. I saw it too many times to NOT notice it when I see the Cowboys actually attack a backup corner. However your assertion that Moore had "3 straight years of the #1 offense in the NFL." Sorry.. no he didn't.. He had it once.. in 2021.. They were #4 last year and #17 in 2020. Yes I know Dak missed 11 games in 2020.. but 2020 was really the first time I really noticed how bad he was at it. In the Thanksgiving Day game against Washington Cooper has just taking the corner (Ronald Darby?) to school.. I think he had like 100 yards and a TD in the first half. Instead of continuing to go after that matchup Moore outsmarted himself and started "spreading the ball around." Cooper had only 2 or 3 targets in the second half of that game and it steadily got away from us. After that game I really started to hone in on that aspect of Moore's playcalling and it dawned on me that we just never WENT AFTER matchups like we should have. Especially early in games. Moore was always out there "feeling the other team out" early in the game. Like he hadn't just spent 80 hours during the week watching the other team. I always maintained (and always will maintain) that we should go into every game knowing the opponents' weak points and the gameplan should be to attack those weak links for all they're worth until they can adjust.

Just for grins.. name me a time in Moore's 4 year stint as playcaller when a starting corner went out and the Cowboys immediately threw a deep ball for a TD against the backup.

I'll wait..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Solid TD for Lamb but i'm not ready to praise a group struggling to put up TD's vs most other years with KM.
My praise is for the playcaller and the mentality. I readily acknowledge the red zone struggles.. Some of it's on the line.. some of it's on the QB.. some of it's on the backs.. And a LOT of it is on the tight ends who by my count have three dropped TDs (one each) so far this season.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
My praise is for the playcaller and the mentality. I readily acknowledge the red zone struggles.. Some of it's on the line.. some of it's on the QB.. some of it's on the backs.. And a LOT of it is on the tight ends who by my count have three dropped TDs (one each) so far this season.
Can't stress that last part enough. Dropped passes and simply being young and inexperienced. Obviously, they need to get better, but I hope they don't try to over-correct the red zone issues. As these young TEs develop over the course of the season I think the Red zone issues start to clear up. Don't forget about Luepke too, I'd add him into Schoon & Ferg as that's three tweener type of dual threat players who can both catch/run as well as block. That's money in the red zone, but they have to execute.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
According to Broddeus, that wasn't over the replacement. The replacement was on the other side.

So, still no.
Interesting.. Dak mentioned in his post game presser that the idea after Gonzalez went down was to go after whoever replaced him. I guess Dak was mistaken too.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know. And Mike has done a terrible job calling plays in 4 games so him finally calling something that doesn't suck isn't deserving a praise from me. KM had his own faults but his offenses scored, now we rely on Defensive and ST touchdowns.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
My guess is that Gonzales was traveling with CD before he got hurt, so in essense, when he went out, it put an inferior DB on CD and they attacked that spot. If it was the body that came in game to replace Gonzales is not important really. They took advantage of a mismatch, that is a good thing. Not sure why we didn't do it all day at that point.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I know. And Mike has done a terrible job calling plays in 4 games so him finally calling something that doesn't suck isn't deserving a praise from me. KM had his own faults but his offenses scored, now we rely on Defensive and ST touchdowns.
Moore's offenses scored against chumps. Then got neutered against good defenses. What we should be looking for isn't 30 ppg garnered off hanging 40 on bottom feeders and limping to 17 against better teams. What I want is an offense that can hang 40 on the chumps but also hang 24-28 on good defenses too. Maybe cut that swing down a little bit. Besides even without the defensive scores yesterday's game is 24-3. Not really whine-worthy.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
My guess is that Gonzales was traveling with CD before he got hurt, so in essense, when he went out, it put an inferior DB on CD and they attacked that spot. If it was the body that came in game to replace Gonzales is not important really. They took advantage of a mismatch, that is a good thing. Not sure why we didn't do it all day at that point.
Good point.. I thought of that too but didn't both posting it as you know how people are once they make up their minds about something. Facts be damned. I suspect once Lamb showed he could roast that #2 corner they gave him help which is why Gallup went to town on 'em. He was working against what was essentially a #4 corner if you count the nickel corner as #3. They attacked the favorable matchup .. which wasn't always going to be Lamb.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score

And Yet , HE'S OUR FOURTH LEADING RUSHER ALL -TIME !!!!!!!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You're not going to convince anyone that not scoring TDs in the red zone is okay.

Moore is better than MM.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You're not going to convince anyone that not scoring TDs in the red zone is okay.

Moore is better than MM.
Not trying to.. but you're not going to convince anyone that 1-3 is better than 3-1 either. It's not ABOUT stats.. It's about winning. I don't care if the Cowboys finish 15th in offense and 20th in the red zone.. as long as they keep winning..

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Not trying to.. but you're not going to convince anyone that 1-3 is better than 3-1 either. It's not ABOUT stats.. It's about winning. I don't care if the Cowboys finish 15th in offense and 20th in the red zone.. as long as they keep winning..
Relying on a defense to play lights out every week to win won't end well.

Arizona showed that.

The 49ers will show that Sunday night again.