The Laziest Player in Dallas Cowboys History- Otto Stowe

Hardline

Reaction score
Imagine doing nothing. I'm not even exaggerating. Imagine doing literally nothing- you don't practice, you don't lift weights, you don't run... you literally do nothing. Well, in 1974, Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Otto Stowe decided to do just that. Safe to say, it didn't work out well.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imagine doing nothing. I'm not even exaggerating. Imagine doing literally nothing- you don't practice, you don't lift weights, you don't run... you literally do nothing. Well, in 1974, Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Otto Stowe decided to do just that. Safe to say, it didn't work out well.

If we asked him to Please Share His Thoughts.....would he at least do that?

Flamma

Reaction score
This looks simple to me. He wanted the year off to not get hurt. I'm assuming he was going to be paid a lot more. But the team in the WFL he was going to, folded after the 1974 season. He screwed himself.

Danny White played for Memphis in '74 and '75. I've never even heard of the WFL.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This looks simple to me. He wanted the year off to not get hurt. I'm assuming he was going to be paid a lot more. But the team in the WFL he was going to, folded after the 1974 season. He screwed himself.

Danny White played for Memphis in '74 and '75. I've never even heard of the WFL.
WFL overpaid many NFL players luring them away in hopes to get fans and viewership. They were not very well funded, and the league and teams were not run correctly.
I believe a few Dolphins players were quick to sign first.

Hence, since then when other leagues started up, they tried not to follow that model. The USFL in the 80's, tried to do better, but still overpaid.
Herschel Walker was owed around $5 million, or maybe $1 million, can't remember, from the New Jersey Generals from a personal services contract. But they let him out of the contract so he could sign with Dallas. Otherwise he had to fulfill that contract and sit for a year.

I think now other leagues learned their lessons and are trying again in a much better way.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I thought Stowe was going to be the next great Cowboys WR. He reminded me of Paul Warfield. He came to Dallas in 1973 and got off to a great start with 23 catches for 389 yards and 6 TDs after just 7 games but was injured. He never stepped foot on the field again for the Cowboys. He was replaced by Drew Pearson who was a rookie and the rest is history.