The lesson from Fasano

skinsscalper

Reaction score
cowboyrock;2053287 said:
Sorry but we are not that good.if a rookie comes in who is better. he should start. i think the right rookie SS could beat out our terrible starter Roy williams right now. we have got to upgrade SS now.

Neat. Show me a rookie SS that would beat out Roy.

Kenny Phillips?:laugh2:

That guy is Roy Williams light!

Eskimo

Reaction score
skinsscalper;2053280 said:
Yet overwhelmingly that fact is overlooked time and time again. NO ONE we draft this year is going to start.

The issue isn't whether they start this year but whether you envision them being a quality starting player in the future with development. Their ceiling should not be envisioned as backup/depth/special teams if drafted in the first 3 rounds.

goshan

Reaction score
Not true in the case of a RB.
In a two back system, you have 2 starters essentially.

Nav22

Reaction score
The issue isn't whether they start this year but whether you envision them being a quality starting player in the future with development.
Hahaha... so to put it simply, they should be good players. Brilliant!

Yeah, hopefully that numbskull Jerry learns from the Fasano mess and decides to only draft GOOD players from now on!

You should be our GM!

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2053290 said:
Neat. Show me a rookie SS that would beat out Roy.

Kenny Phillips?:laugh2:

That guy is Roy Williams light!
Phillips or Tyrell Johnson, could beat out Roy. do you realize how terrible this guy is? no tackles for losses for the entire season from your starting SS. plus he cant cover or tackle. he flatout stinks. we have to upgrade SS now.even if it means starting Ken Hamlin, at SS and drafting Phillips to play FS.

silver

Reaction score
i agree with the original notion. i'm all for positioning ourselves to take an impact player on offense. if the only impact player on offense in d-mac i'm all for trading up. i hate it when we trade down.

Sandman52

Reaction score
Duane;2053080 said:
We were supposed to go to a two TE set so Fasano would have started. As far as not drafting another RB high, I think it makes sense to get someone that can start if Barber gets hurt.

Barber split time during his time at Minnesota and he's split time while he's been with the Cowboys. So who's to say that his bruising running style will hold up starting 16 games.

Gotta agree with this point. We are assuming that Barber will be able to handle 20+ carries per game for the entire season. As pointed out above, MBIII has really never been the feature back of his offense.

At 22, I really like J. Stewart because he has the ability to be a feature back (just in case MBIII gets injured or wants more money).

Felix would be nice because he is pretty much the exact opposite of MBIII (breakaway speed and KR ability). Johnson might also be this, but I think Felix would service better as an injury policy.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not as if Fasano is a bust or a bad player, he just was not going to get a real opportunity with Witten in Big D.

However, I think RB should be a consideration, given the fact that Barber is not signed long term and has yet to have a full season as the starter.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
cnhnyy;2053057 said:
When you have a pro-bowl player for a postion (TE, RB, QB, Center) that you can only play one player at one time, you do no spend a high pick on his backup. You find backups from late rounds.

Please do NOT draft a RB in the first round!!!!!!!!

Unless you have plans to not resign Barber see Indy and Edgrin James

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Sandman52;2053479 said:
Gotta agree with this point. We are assuming that Barber will be able to handle 20+ carries per game for the entire season. As pointed out above, MBIII has really never been the feature back of his offense.

At 22, I really like J. Stewart because he has the ability to be a feature back (just in case MBIII gets injured or wants more money).

Felix would be nice because he is pretty much the exact opposite of MBIII (breakaway speed and KR ability). Johnson might also be this, but I think Felix would service better as an injury policy.

Stop making so much sense.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Duane;2053080 said:
We were supposed to go to a two TE set so Fasano would have started. As far as not drafting another RB high, I think it makes sense to get someone that can start if Barber gets hurt.

Barber split time during his time at Minnesota and he's split time while he's been with the Cowboys. So who's to say that his bruising running style will hold up starting 16 games.

:starspin That's been my main concern with Barber, that with his running style, he may not be able to hold up starting for a 16 game NFL season.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The RB situation now is not the same as the TE situation one. I think a RB is needed day 1.

cnhnyy

Reaction score
I now believe my post jinxed the draft. We spent not one, but TWO high picks to draft backups to the positions where we can only our YOUNG pro-bowlers most of time.

I hope they will get more opportunities than J Jones and Fasano and be better.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
cnhnyy;2053057 said:
When you have a pro-bowl player for a postion (TE, RB, QB, Center) that you can only play one player at one time, you do no spend a high pick on his backup. You find backups from late rounds.

Please do NOT draft a RB in the first round!!!!!!!!
ah about that... lol :bang2: