The lesson from Fasano

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Get the best Long Snapper on the board in the 1st round. Someone who could start at long snapper on day 1. Don't draft backups.

Mash

Reaction score
If Fasano was drafted to run a 2 TE system....

Then what happened? sorry...but I forget what circumstances prevented us from running that 2 TE offence to protect Bledsoe?

So we draft a TE ....and then scrap the idea of running a 2 TE offence?

who was responsable for this?

help? memory is bad...thks

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Mash;2053165 said:
If Fasano was drafted to run a 2 TE system....

Then what happened? sorry...but I forget what circumstances prevented us from running that 2 TE offence to protect Bledsoe

Jason Garrett prefers a 1 TE 1 FB set. .

And we didn't go to a 2 TE set to "protect" Bledsoe. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. We went to a 2 TE set because Parcells prefers a 2 TE set. New England ran a 2 TE set with Daniel Graham and Ben Watson .. it wasn't to "protect" Brady, its because Bill Belichick prefers a 2 TE set.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Duane;2053080 said:
We were supposed to go to a two TE set so Fasano would have started. As far as not drafting another RB high, I think it makes sense to get someone that can start if Barber gets hurt.

Barber split time during his time at Minnesota and he's split time while he's been with the Cowboys. So who's to say that his bruising running style will hold up starting 16 games.

I'd draft a RB in the fourth and tell Shaun Alexander's agent that with the draft chock full of RBs that we'll give his player a shot for the vet minimum. Alexander isn't great, but he's serviceable for an injury stretch and we won't have to rely on a rookie to carry the load in the event that Barber finds a way to knock himself out of the game.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2053178 said:
Jason Garrett prefers a 1 TE 1 FB set.
Except we used 2-TE sets about half of our offensive snaps last year, and we used it about as much as, if not more than, a 2 back set.

But that might just be the result of getting our best players on the field, rather than a preference for a specific formation.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
theogt;2053198 said:
Except we used 2-TE sets about half of our offensive snaps last year, and we used it about as much as we used a 2 back set.

But that might just be the result of getting our best players on the field, rather than a preference for a specific formation.

I agree theo. The best coaches adapt their scheme to the players rather than the other way around. I think both Wade and Garret are pretty good at this particular tactic. Hell Garret took a 3rd string WR and used him as a serviceable (not great) #2 WR. Much of that had to do with scheme.

joseephuss

Reaction score
burmafrd;2053092 said:
For the 10000000000000 time we were going to the 2 TE to protect Bledsoe. He was NOT drafted to be a backup. Talk about dumb thread....

At that time, I didn't think that Fasano was good enough to be the 2nd TE in a two tight end set. To me it wasn't about Dallas going to that type of offense. It was about whether the player they picked was good enough or not. I didn't think he was. At least not to drop a 2nd round pick on him. They tried, they failed. Happens all the time. Even Parcells doesn't see as much value in Fasano now as he did two drafts ago. That is why he offered up only a 4th and asked for another player in return.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The reason was to protect Bledsoe better. That was pretty clear. Then Romo took over and did not need it.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Well he got Fasano though, didn't he? Fasano was good enough to do the job.

joseephuss

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2053178 said:
Jason Garrett prefers a 1 TE 1 FB set. .

And we didn't go to a 2 TE set to "protect" Bledsoe. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. We went to a 2 TE set because Parcells prefers a 2 TE set. New England ran a 2 TE set with Daniel Graham and Ben Watson .. it wasn't to "protect" Brady, its because Bill Belichick prefers a 2 TE set.

Parcells was trying to run the two tight end set his first year in Dallas with Quincy at QB with then rookie Witten and Dan Campbell. I never understood why they made a big deal saying they were going to a two tight end set when they drafted Fasano, when the reality was Parcells had been trying all along.

xpistofer

Reaction score
cnhnyy;2053057 said:
When you have a pro-bowl player for a postion (TE, RB, QB, Center) that you can only play one player at one time, you do no spend a high pick on his backup. You find backups from late rounds.

Please do NOT draft a RB in the first round!!!!!!!!

while i do not want to see us pick up a first round runner, i totally disagree with you...

you should NEVER draft backups. get the best talent you can and let it sort itself out...

skinsscalper

Reaction score
joseephuss;2053221 said:
Parcells was trying to run the two tight end set his first year in Dallas with Quincy at QB with then rookie Witten and Dan Campbell. I never understood why they made a big deal saying they were going to a two tight end set when they drafted Fasano, when the reality was Parcells had been trying all along.

That's one detail that's overlooked in the Fasano pick (though I still didn't like it). We had just gotten rid of Dan Campbell. There WAS a need. Just not in the 2nd round.

Mash

Reaction score
So we got Fasano to protect Bleadsoe but not Romo?

So...Bill drafts a second TE for his old QB....but in training camp he really wanted to start Romo?

I just dont understand this type of planning?

:confused:

Oh well....Bill the genius must of had a plan I suppose...

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
cnhnyy;2053057 said:
When you have a pro-bowl player for a postion (TE, RB, QB, Center) that you can only play one player at one time, you do no spend a high pick on his backup. You find backups from late rounds.

Please do NOT draft a RB in the first round!!!!!!!!
You are right on the money. i hope Jerry will listen.do not draft a backup in the second round.

Mash

Reaction score
I see...forgot about Campbell

makes more sense now....I guess.......oh well....

Mash

Reaction score
I think the drafted RB will see alot more time on the field than a backup TE.

Barber will get alot of carries.....but whoever we pick up today....will get his share also.

The RB position nowadays is run by two backs usually.......alot of teams run their offence that way.....Giants had a pretty good one-two punch...IMHO

Nav22

Reaction score
I agree, don't draft back-ups.

Call the NFL office and tell them they can take the 8 draft picks they're offering us and stuff them up their you-know-whats!

Because anybody we draft... in any round... will be a back-up for us.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Nav22;2053269 said:

Call the NFL office and tell them they can take the 8 draft picks they're offering us and stuff them up their you-know-whats!

Yet overwhelmingly that fact is overlooked time and time again. NO ONE we draft this year is going to start.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
Nav22;2053269 said:

Sorry but we are not that good.if a rookie comes in who is better. he should start. i think the right rookie SS could beat out our terrible starter Roy williams right now. we have got to upgrade SS now.