The little but crucial moments that make a game

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Every game has multiple little moments that add up, one way or another, to decide the game. These are not the same as the most important/key plays. These are the plays that given an inch or two or three (or a half second or so) difference this way or that would have made a big difference. Here they are:

Negatives (in very rough chronological order):
  • VanderJ hits the bar
  • G. Ellis doesn't force a fumble
  • The INT improperly ruled an INT, then perhaps properly not overruled
  • G. Ellis doesn't force a fumble
Positives
  • Witten doesn't drop that TD
  • VanderJ gets the 2nd chance near the end of the half

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Negatives:

UHHHH, Andre Gurode, how could you forget his two stupid penalties??

Those killed both drives... Romo can keep drives going if he has a managable situation, but if you put him in 1st and 20 or 1st and 25 he's gonna try to force things which will lead to INT's....

STOP THE PENALTIES!!

2much2soon

Reaction score
Toss in not recovering the fumble on the KO.
And I thought on the first FG attempt that was blocked the interior offensive linemen heard the whistle and stopped going full speed. Not sure that Peppers gets throw if the whistle doesn't blow.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
JBell523;1126484 said:
Negatives:

UHHHH, Andre Gurode, how could you forget his two stupid penalties??

Those killed both drives... Romo can keep drives going if he has a managable situation, but if you put him in 1st and 20 or 1st and 25 he's gonna try to force things which will lead to INT's....

STOP THE PENALTIES!!
Penalties don't count in this: these do not include dumbazz plays one way or the other -- they only include the plays that given an inch, two, or three or half a second here or there would have made a big difference. Not to diminish the negative importance of Gurode's mistakes. They're just not in this category.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
2much2soon;1126496 said:
And I thought on the first FG attempt that was blocked the interior offensive linemen heard the whistle and stopped going full speed. Not sure that Peppers gets throw if the whistle doesn't blow.
Yes! I knew I was forgetting a big one. That was probably the most important one.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The biggest play to this point is the missed opportunity to recover the fumble. That would've evened things out particularly with the short field, and we're likely sitting at 14-14 instead of 14-10. I still think we may need to force a turnover to win this.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;1126511 said:
Penalties don't count in this: these do not include dumbazz plays one way or the other -- they only include the plays that given an inch, two, or three or half a second here or there would have made a big difference. Not to diminish the negative importance of Gurode's mistakes. They're just not in this category.
Oh my bad... but still if you look at it that way they could still fall in this category..

They killed 2 drives that probably would have led to points the way Romo is driving this team down the field..

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
2much2soon;1126496 said:

that play was huge...I think it was Reeves who blew the easy recovery by trying to pick it up

David

Bluefin

Reaction score
2much2soon;1126496 said:
No doubt.

Good defenses, let alone the great unit we hope to become, have got to make those plays.

You only get a few chances every game to make tide turning impact plays.

Capitalize.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Overall, I'd have to rate us unlucky for the first half. Had just one of those negatives gone the other way, we might be looking at a Cowboy lead on the road against a hot team with a winning record.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1126530 said:
that play was huge...I think it was Reeves who blew the easy recovery by trying to pick it up

David
Even my wife said "don't they teach you to just fall on the ball in PeeWee football" on that play. YIKES!!!

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
dbair1967;1126530 said:

David

ACtually it was a good play by one of the ST of Caroina for hitting his arm, and knocking it out. If not that was a TD

big dog cowboy;1126612 said:
Even my wife said "don't they teach you to just fall on the ball in PeeWee football" on that play. YIKES!!!

YEa but reeves had a chance to take it for a TD, and was just unlucky the id hit his arm

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dargonking999;1126782 said:
YEa but reeves had a chance to take it for a TD, and was just unlucky the id hit his arm
That doesn't matter. You drop on the ball and secure it. Everybody knows that.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1126804 said:
That doesn't matter. You drop on the ball and secure it. Everybody knows that.

Yea, and everyone knows that when you see the endzone, pick it up and run :D