The long-term future of the RE position

quickccc

Reaction score
M. Collins was another handpicked player from Marinelli. He had an injury plagued career and never became an impact player.

i still have no problem selecting either Maliek or Tapper. i see the idea in getting great get-off snap DL guys
with that kind of athleticism and physical ability ...and those are 3rd to mid round types.
Irony ? Sooners DT Neville Gallimore is also a 3rd rounder.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not true.

McClain had been out of football for a year and a half, he was a FA in the sense that he was sitting on his couch at home. After he played for Dallas he signed a 4 year contract for 21 Million in Washington.

Selvie was on his couch too and gave the Cowboys 7 sacks in his first season, he signed with the Giants after he left Dallas.

Mincey was a low cost signing that gave Dallas a very solid season when he signed.

Irving was signed off the Chiefs practice squad and gave them a season with 7 sacks in 8 games. His problems are well known but every team would love to make moves like that.

-That's not correct about McClain. He was signed as an unrestricted fa from the Texans in 2014. The year prior he played in every game for the Texans. Perhaps you are confusing him with Rolando McClain the linebacker from the Raiders. By the way McClain was released after 1 season after signing that contract with the Commanders.

-The likes of Selvie, Mincey were low cost bridge players until they were able to find long-term replacements, neither were resigned.

-Irving went undrafted due to character concerns. He was the most talented they brought in, but couldn't stay out of trouble off the field. He basically quit on the team in his final year of his contract.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i still have no problem selecting either Maliek or Tapper. i see the idea in getting great get-off snap DL guys
with that kind of athleticism and physical ability ...and those are 3rd to mid round types.
Irony ? Sooners DT Neville Gallimore is also a 3rd rounder.

-Collins was over drafted, many scouts viewed him as more of a day 3 developmental under tackle.

-Tapper was more of an athlete then anything else, if I remember right, his production was lacking.

-Tell you the truth, not a big Gallimore fan. Older prospect they may be projecting him as a 3T, but might be best as a NT. He is exactly very similar to Collins at the same stage.

quickccc

Reaction score
We have to give Marinelli some credit, as he did get some of the lower tier players to become effective, rotational type of guys. I believe McClain was actually a fa signing at the time. Woods, Selvie, Mincey were all productive, but none were ever considered anything more then low-priced, bridge type players. Matter of fact, none received 2nd contracts, including Irvin who self-destructed and quit on his team.

Marinelli and the team's strategy of taking NT's late was a disaster. I can't remember one actually making the team. How many defensive lineman draft picks failed under this regime, almost everyone of them! The draft is all about developing future starters, outside of the 2 mentioned, he failed to do so over such a long period of time.

McClain was already an established vet when we signed him on from Denver. .
otherwise we just got ranges from decent- serviceable JAGs with the like of Selvie, Mincy, Thorton (trade) and oh mercy, why did we go on for years with Nick Hayden...and 'm not giving Marinelli credit for JAGs.

If anything the only players we can say it may have turned out well under Rod (Dlaw) and looked like they could have turned out something under him are David Irving and Randy Gregory.

quickccc

Reaction score
-Collins was over drafted, many scouts viewed him as more of a day 3 developmental under tackle.

-Tapper was more of an athlete then anything else, if I remember right, his production was lacking.

-Tell you the truth, not a big Gallimore fan. Older prospect they may be projecting him as a 3T, but might be best as a NT. He is exactly very similar to Collins at the same stage.

- As i remember Tapper, he was used in a scheme where it was such read first that he wasn't able to use
his 4.5 speed first step, his biggest drawback and downfall was a severe lack of durability.
as a mid round (4th) pick, and top athleticism from a big school , that's an idea round to gamble on such an
athlete.

- "Over-drafted " pertains to a reach, and i've never heard it being said we reached for Collins.
Hell, he got 5 sacks in his rookie year; remember this was not a first round pick.
He had it in his ability and tools to be a rush factor - it was consistency and he didn't stay healthy until his last
year here.

- to each his own but with Gallimore, he and Bradley Anae, i take it on the best notes when they can go
to an All Star Senior Bowl vs best and various competition to flash and impressed with both practice
on on one sessions and the game itself.
For a 3rd round pick value, i'll take my chances,

75boyz

Reaction score
- As i remember Tapper, he was used in a scheme where it was such read first that he wasn't able to use
his 4.5 speed first step, his biggest drawback and downfall was a severe lack of durability.
as a mid round (4th) pick, and top athleticism from a big school , that's an idea round to gamble on such an
athlete.

- "Over-drafted " pertains to a reach, and i've never heard it being said we reached for Collins.
Hell, he got 5 sacks in his rookie year; remember this was not a first round pick.
He had it in his ability and tools to be a rush factor - it was consistency and he didn't stay healthy until his last
year here.

- to each his own but with Gallimore, he and Bradley Anae, i take it on the best notes when they can go
to an All Star Senior Bowl vs best and various competition to flash and impressed with both practice

Appreciate the respectful discussion and supportive opinions from both you and Cowboyny in this thread. Straight and good football talk from 2 guys who actually watch and know, sharing their views without getting personal. It was refreshing to read you both.

Kaiser

Reaction score
-That's not correct about McClain. He was signed as an unrestricted fa from the Texans in 2014. The year prior he played in every game for the Texans. Perhaps you are confusing him with Rolando McClain the linebacker from the Raiders. By the way McClain was released after 1 season after signing that contract with the Commanders.

You are right, he was on the Texans the previous season but averaged 11 snaps per game that year and had 10 tackles in the 15 games he played. Before coming to Dallas McClain had been cut/unsigned three times until Marinelli made him into a solid player that got a 20 Million dollar FA contract when he left.

Selvie and Irving were both guys that Marinelli made into something out of nothing, that is my point.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You are right, he was on the Texans the previous season but averaged 11 snaps per game that year and had 10 tackles in the 15 games he played. Before coming to Dallas McClain had been cut/unsigned three times until Marinelli made him into a solid player that got a 20 Million dollar FA contract when he left.

Selvie and Irving were both guys that Marinelli made into something out of nothing, that is my point.

Fair point, but neither became long-term answers. Irving had a chance, but he self-destructed off the field.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
athlete.

year here.

I remember many were surprised we took Collins in the 3rd round, as he was being more projected as a day 3 prospect. Actual scouts vs media scouts perhaps had graded him differently, no matter. As a Cowboy, he struggled badly with durability with his feet, when he was fully healthy put up decent numbers, but not enough to warrant a 2nd contract.

You are right about Tapper, it was more the scheme then anything else. He was another player that just couldn't stay healthy. I believe he was taken more towards he athletic traits, then his actual production.

Both Gallimore/Anae are classic boom/bust day 2 type of prospects. Anae is the opposite type the Cowboys usually target; more production then athletic ability. He may just be a very good football player.