The McCarthy Hire Comes with a Good Pretext

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The good news now that the long term commitment with Garrett is over which I was under the impression it would go on forever is I think now everyone will have a much shorter leash with Jerry.

We’ll go back to the 2-4 year tenures as the clock is running out on Jerry. I think the leash will be even shorter with this nucleus of talent as Jerry, Stephen , bulk of fans , critics and media have touted this as a team talented enough to make noise and a run in the playoffs.

If Mike can’t get it done in a couple years and it’s more of the same. Adios amigo!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A good precedent for former head coaches is Dick Vermeil. He was a successful head coach for the Eagles but never won a Super Bowl. When he took over the head coaching job for the Rams he finally achieved the ultimate prize.
This is a great example how we often over hype winning a Super Bowl or championship as the only bar for measuring a great HC.

Vermeil probably did some of his best coaching in Philly but he had more talent in Stl.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I do think getting McCarthy in Jerry mind is a win now mentality. Not just homers here who think this team has a lot of talent on it but those who cover the NFL feel this team has the talent to win now. If Jerry brought in a college coach I think it would be with the mindset of allowing the coach to get his feet wet in the NFL but with McCarthy I think the object is to win and win now. Does not mean it is SB or bust next season but I do think it means Dallas is competing and in the post season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is a good hire for this team. His experience, his success, and his straight-forward style of communication are a breath of fresh air for a team that has been mired in a stale “process” that was long overdue for an exit.

One thought I’ve had with this hire that I think is really good- the pretext for McCarthy’s hiring is very simple: WIN NOW. I can’t remember a head coach since maybe Barry Switzer where the expectation upon hiring was as direct as WIN NOW. Parcells came in with high expectations but the roster he inherited was a completely bare cupboard. He was hired to rebuild the talent. Coach Mac will certainly need more talent. But the roster is not empty.

The question for Mike McCarthy will probably center on how long he has to produce. Unlike Garrett, (thankfully) he won’t have a developmental grace period. My understanding is the length of his contract is 5 years. But if he hasn’t produced at least an NFC championship appearance in 2-3 years, I can’t see him having near the leash Garrett had. And that’s not bad at all.
agreed 3yrs is the goal...no special treatment or ties to the franchise that will keep the Jonses from cutting ties quickly..

the caveat is Kellen Moore could be the next Garett.. Wade actually took over in a similar situation given BillP left suddenly without notice but left a solid team ready to win , look at wades records, there s reason for that and in a very ironic situation KM is sitting there and could pull off the same Coup..

the little historical repeat of Garett getting the job mid season to stay 10yrs starting as our backup QB to OC to hostile takeover from Wade seems eerily familiar in the keeping of Moore ie hes being groomed and a parachute for the FO..:)

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I don't think it's so much about "Win Now" but rather the personnel on the team dictating that it would be a waste to bring in a transition/rebuilding coach who would take 2-3 years just to get the pieces and systems in place.

I think the more important angle is that McCarthy himself had to really love being offered the head coach job with a team that has a lot of solid pieces in place with only a few (but important) holes to deal with and a team owner who will do whatever he needs to have success. A lot of job openings have really bad teams, no proven or an old quarterback or at least a lot of holes to fill in a hurry.

I completely agree that he won't get 8+ years to prove himself and to be honest, I'm perfectly fine with that. No coach should be able to waste careers of multiple players without at least some post-season (not necessarily Super Bowl wins) success.

With the players the Cowboys have now and barring serious injuries to major players, we should all have a really good idea of how well McCarthy is doing with this team after he's coached 2-3 years.
You mean after 2-3 games. We will know. We will most certainly know!

morasp

Reaction score
This is a great example how we often over hype winning a Super Bowl or championship as the only bar for measuring a great HC.

Vermeil probably did some of his best coaching in Philly but he had more talent in Stl.
I imagine his experiences and lessons learned with the Eagles probably served him well when he helped put together the coaching staff and roster for the Rams. Hopefully Mike McCarthy's year of reflection will yield similar result for the Cowboys. I like what he's done so far. All three coordinators are in place as well as the offensive and defensive line coaches. They always say games are won up front and it looks like he thinks so too.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is a good hire for this team. His experience, his success, and his straight-forward style of communication are a breath of fresh air for a team that has been mired in a stale “process” that was long overdue for an exit.

One thought I’ve had with this hire that I think is really good- the pretext for McCarthy’s hiring is very simple: WIN NOW. I can’t remember a head coach since maybe Barry Switzer where the expectation upon hiring was as direct as WIN NOW. Parcells came in with high expectations but the roster he inherited was a completely bare cupboard. He was hired to rebuild the talent. Coach Mac will certainly need more talent. But the roster is not empty.

The question for Mike McCarthy will probably center on how long he has to produce. Unlike Garrett, (thankfully) he won’t have a developmental grace period. My understanding is the length of his contract is 5 years. But if he hasn’t produced at least an NFC championship appearance in 2-3 years, I can’t see him having near the leash Garrett had. And that’s not bad at all.
I think he is in trouble if the Cowboys do not at a minimum win a playoff game in 2020 and more succes thereafter. The expectation has to be no worse that Garrett's last year as a returning coach. The core talent of the roster will still be intact.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You mean after 2-3 games. We will know. We will most certainly know!
sorry man he gets more then 3 games to prove hos worth..by years end we will have an idea but he needs some time to purge players and have players learn the new scheme..i mean if we judged this 2019 team after 3 games we were going undefeated and the the SB..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do think getting McCarthy in Jerry mind is a win now mentality. Not just homers here who think this team has a lot of talent on it but those who cover the NFL feel this team has the talent to win now. If Jerry brought in a college coach I think it would be with the mindset of allowing the coach to get his feet wet in the NFL but with McCarthy I think the object is to win and win now. Does not mean it is SB or bust next season but I do think it means Dallas is competing and in the post season.
Agree. Jerry not hiring a young college coach signaled what he expects. Hiring a it like Lincoln Riley or evening Urban Meyer would have come with a longer learning curve.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm looking for the Cowboys to get back to where they were in the 70s. Where we don't win a SB every season. Or even every other season. But we are always in the conversation. Competitive. Considered an elite team. Where if we don't make it to the NFCCG in a given year, people are shocked.

The Cowboys only won 2 SBs in the 70s. But were almost always in the NFCCG even though they didn't win it every time.

I don't know if that is an unrealistic expectation or not given the rise of FA, the salary cap, and the coaching carousel.

But there it is.
Those 70s Cowboys became the foundation of everything good this franchise became. They played in 5 of the first 13 Super Bowls. They played in 6 NFC championship games in a decade, winning 5. That’s just dominance like we’ve never seen since. Those 90s teams were great for about 5 years, not a full decade.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are two values to consider when trying to ascertain Booger's expectations and NFCCG clock. There is the BPV, Booger's Perceived Value, and the RV, Real Value, of individual players and the team as a whole. I think he gave up on that foolish notion that it was on a rotational basis and they would just await their turn. He struggles with reality. He cannot and will not accept his team is no better than the Browns and Skins over the last 20 years, he buys into Cowboys Mystique. But, but, but these are the Dallas Cowboys.

He bought into that "talent was the best" crap because it fed that ever hungry ego but one look at that D and no one in their right mind would think they're even a top 5. And when he thinks about the Cowboys, he's not in his right mind, he's in that "this is mine" mind. Ego and assessment are mutual enemies.

Hopefully Big Mike didn't pull any other punches in his interview besides that "watched every play in 2019" nonsense and gave the Joneses a true assessment of the talent level and what was needed to take it into the top 4 level of the NFC. The last thing he needed to do was stroke their egos about talent. Did they underachieve? Yes, but to what degree?

All he needs to know about the guy he works for is that he truly believes players play better the better they're paid and emphasized that when asked about Romo's last contract. He actually said "he'll play better because I am paying him better". He's confused that he paid Lawrence, Smith and Elliott more and didn't get better out of them.

We don't know Booger's expectations about this upcoming season but hiring this HC with his playoff record certainly didn't diminish them but the real question still remains. How much control are they willing to relinquish to allow this HC to reach his and the team's potential?

I believe in Big Mike; I do not believe in the Joneses and their self restraint when it comes to the team. They have to prove that.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
sorry man he gets more then 3 games to prove hos worth..by years end we will have an idea but he needs some time to purge players and have players learn the new scheme..i mean if we judged this 2019 team after 3 games we were going undefeated and the the SB..
I was joking.

Year two, at least for me, we better be headed to the NFC Championship game.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are two values to consider when trying to ascertain Booger's expectations and NFCCG clock. There is the BPV, Booger's Perceived Value, and the RV, Real Value, of individual players and the team as a whole. I think he gave up on that foolish notion that it was on a rotational basis and they would just await their turn. He struggles with reality. He cannot and will not accept his team is no better than the Browns and Skins over the last 20 years, he buys into Cowboys Mystique. But, but, but these are the Dallas Cowboys.

He bought into that "talent was the best" crap because it fed that ever hungry ego but one look at that D and no one in their right mind would think they're even a top 5. And when he thinks about the Cowboys, he's not in his right mind, he's in that "this is mine" mind. Ego and assessment are mutual enemies.

Hopefully Big Mike didn't pull any other punches in his interview besides that "watched every play in 2019" nonsense and gave the Joneses a true assessment of the talent level and what was needed to take it into the top 4 level of the NFC. The last thing he needed to do was stroke their egos about talent. Did they underachieve? Yes, but to what degree?

All he needs to know about the guy he works for is that he truly believes players play better the better they're paid and emphasized that when asked about Romo's last contract. He actually said "he'll play better because I am paying him better". He's confused that he paid Lawrence, Smith and Elliott more and didn't get better out of them.

We don't know Booger's expectations about this upcoming season but hiring this HC with his playoff record certainly didn't diminish them but the real question still remains. How much control are they willing to relinquish to allow this HC to reach his and the team's potential?

I believe in Big Mike; I do not believe in the Joneses and their self restraint when it comes to the team. They have to prove that.
Outstanding assessment. Especially Concerning Jerry’s inherent delusion. Without a voice of reason and balance to offset his rose colored view of his entire roster, we will keep getting a mid level every once in a while type contender.

Literally our best hope lies in McCarthy being that balance. We must hope that he has the guts to speak truth to Jerry’s delusion, and that Jerry’s over-laughing VP son will chime in behind Mac. Will McClay will also hopefully be a McCarthy ally in speaking truth to power. Time will tell.