CFZ The Mike McCarthy conundrum!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I'm really struggling with Big Mike.

Here's why.

To start the year, he insisted on running a very outdated version of his West Coast offense. Quick passing game, run heavy, 90s offense that was rather pedestrian.

They got smoked by the 9ers with it, BUT he changed. He went much more heavy with Brian Schottenheimer's offense, that features TE's and a more vertical passing game. Similar to what you saw in Seattle with Russ but he is truely letting Dak "Cook".

This offense is so, soooo, much better that Kellen's. Especially mid game. In season's past we'd be great on our first 15 of the 1/2 but really stall out mid game. This offense is always attacking. I love it. Watching the QB school and the all 22, it's really impressive on how they are attacking defenses and Dak is really humming along with it.

But for all that positive from Big Mike, he still makes TERRIBLE decisions with "in-game management". e.g. Passing up on FGs when he should take the points, passing when he should run, clock management stuff, just bone head stuff that will cost us in the playoffs or against good teams.

I know other teams hire guys to help the HC with this stuff, do we not have someone, can we get someone?

It's a real killer!
No offense, but that’s an opinion, not a fact. You have no clue why Mike does what he does when he does it. He has moved into a place of trusting Dak and the offense enough to be aggressive, which he wasn’t early in the season. He’s on a roll and preparing for the playoffs. We all question some of his calls and decisions, but he’s successful and unpredictable. I like it.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I think he made the right call on that. How many times have teams gone for two to tie the game up in the 2nd or 3rd quarter, not gotten it, and then found themselves down by 2 after scoring a TD at the end of a game? It happens all the time. Unless there's a penalty that moves the ball to the 1 yard line, there's really no point in going for 2 early in a game.
There was like 3 minutes left in the 3rd Qtr. Not like it was the 1st Qtr. You can't assume you will have 3 more scoring drives at that point

Jarntt

Reaction score
The offense has been night and day since the bye week. That's coaching.

There is no perfect coach. You can always find a reason to complain.
So the coaches sucked before the bye and now they are great? It's not that simple

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We hated Garret. We hated Linehan. We hated Moore, now we hate Quinn. Just deal with it and enjoy the ride.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Not going for two didn't really bother me. It showed confidence in the offense not chasing points.

The passing instead of running and still kicking the same FG was a concern.

Swagger

Reaction score
Pay McCarthy a truck load of money to be offensive coordinator as he and Dak have a good thing going.

Bring in a Head Coach to manage 4th down decisions, time outs and give sign off on huge play calls like the brainless throw on 3rd down during the final drive - a better team wins the game on the last drive (e.g., the Chiefs) and fans are left scratching their heads how on earth it happened. Then remember not kicking a field goal to take the lead and trying to throw a TD when it wasn’t needed on 3rd down giving the opposition 40 seconds more.

Sometimes people need saving from themselves and McCarthy falls into that bracket.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
I think he made the right call on that. How many times have teams gone for two to tie the game up in the 2nd or 3rd quarter, not gotten it, and then found themselves down by 2 after scoring a TD at the end of a game? It happens all the time. Unless there's a penalty that moves the ball to the 1 yard line, there's really no point in going for 2 early in a game.
It was at the end of the 3rd, brother. As I said about hindsight, hindsight points to going for 2 in that situation was the right call. But I agree that we see many times that failing a 2-point conversion comes to bite teams in the butt. But for the way the game played out, going for 2 should've been called. They were down by 6 on their last possession. A TD and an extra point and they win the game. If we had went for 2 and didn't get it, they are down 5, a TD and a made extra-point still wins the game. So no harm in not converting on a 2-point conversion. But if we convert a 2-point play then they are down 7 with needing a TD and a made extra-point to send it into OT. So IMO it wasn't the right call looking at it in hindsight.

links18

Reaction score
I wonder sometimes if people ever follow other teams or check in with their fans. There is not a team in this league whose fans don't feel their coaches botch gametime decisions. Andy Reid has made a CAREER of timeout and clock mismanagement.
I disagree that the decisions to go for it vs. take the points were wrong. The offense was cooking. The only decisions I don't like was not going for 2 pts and the throw at the end of the game, otherwise he coached fine.
Who takes a 3rd and 7 as opposed to a 2nd and 19? Of course, they coverted and got a penalty on the next play.

HungryLion

Reaction score
McCarthy does make time management boo boos as far as timeouts or letting the clock run at odd times.

The game management stuff, like going on 4th down, etc. he really doesn’t make poor decisions that often. Just because going for it on 4th down last night didn’t work, doesn’t mean it was the wrong decision. It was actually the right decision, unfortunately Lamb just dropped the ball.

Kicking the xp was fine too at that point in the game.

Big Mike isnt perfect. He makes some mistakes and has some weaknesses. The dude is a very good HC though. And I don’t want to hear about Aaron Rodgers. Look at how Belichek is doing now that Brady left…….

Even the best head coaches still need a QB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Here's why.

To start the year, he insisted on running a very outdated version of his West Coast offense. Quick passing game, run heavy, 90s offense that was rather pedestrian.

They got smoked by the 9ers with it, BUT he changed. He went much more heavy with Brian Schottenheimer's offense, that features TE's and a more vertical passing game. Similar to what you saw in Seattle with Russ but he is truely letting Dak "Cook".

This offense is so, soooo, much better that Kellen's. Especially mid game. In season's past we'd be great on our first 15 of the 1/2 but really stall out mid game. This offense is always attacking. I love it. Watching the QB school and the all 22, it's really impressive on how they are attacking defenses and Dak is really humming along with it.

But for all that positive from Big Mike, he still makes TERRIBLE decisions with "in-game management". e.g. Passing up on FGs when he should take the points, passing when he should run, clock management stuff, just bone head stuff that will cost us in the playoffs or against good teams.

I know other teams hire guys to help the HC with this stuff, do we not have someone, can we get someone?

It's a real killer!
to your point, the offense is so much better, although there are elements of Moore offense in there. however, I have always argued, its not about the individual routes, etc. as every offense runs every route, but its the combination of routes you run to stress a defense. with Moore offense we weren't stressing the defense, now with play calling, route combination and pre-snap we are really stressing the defense. we are attacking all 9 passing zones (not every play of course) but we are attacking as many zones as possible with the recievers in each play, which spreads the defense and stresses a defense.

I also like what I have seen in these past few games. they really stress a defense by attacking deep, forcing defenders to play with their backs to LOS. but last night they showed something different. in the past teams dared dallas to drive length of the field having long drives and knowing Dallas will fail more than succeed. but now, specially against Seattle and somewhat against Philly, we showed patience. we still attacked deep and all over the field, but took a lot of underneath stuff, drove length of the field with 10,12, 14 play drives. and cashed in. that makes this offense even harder to defend.

with all that said, I hated the brain farts against Seattle. not calling a time out, when clock was running down. that's Coaches job. he called it, but called it too late. I mean come on. and then on the 3rd and 3, with less than 2 minutes to go and the lead, he called a pass play instead of a run play killing the clock as much as possible. I didn't mind the 4th down call so much. it would have worked if your best WR wouldn't drop the pass.
perhaps he was thinking to go for the kill and not settle. maybe it was a message to the team. but it wasn't very smart.

yeah, his in game management needs some work.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Also kicking the extra-point instead of going for 2 to tie the game at 28 at the end of the 3rd. I know what they say about hindsight. But with the way it played out that extra-point could've helped in the end. If we failed on that 2-point conversion, a TD and a made extra-point still beats you. If we go for 2 and had made it, a TD and a made extra point sends it into OT.
I didn't disagree with that one. I think its too early to do that in the game. there was too much game left to be played.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I don't think MM changed the offense. The Cowboys are just that much farther along as far as installation and execution.

Coming out of camp McCarthy said the defense was ahead of the offense and the early season results confirmed it. Dallas was still figuring out what worked and what didn't and after the bye they really started clicking on all cylinders. And it hasn't stopped since.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Here's why.

It's a real killer!
Jethro is prob only one who can knock some sense into MM. Giving up a FG to take the lead should have got Jethro and Sons attention.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He's too focused on getting the penalties under control to worry about such trivial stuff.

What year did he get focused on penalties? 2020 or 2021?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
12-5, 12-5, 9-3.

First road playoff win in 30 years. Very likely first three consecutive playoff seasons in almost 30 years.

So yeah, let's get rid of the head coach. :facepalm:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Mike is fine. You people need to shut up and relax. The Coach of the Year award is on a collision course with Mike McCarthy.