The MLS is disgusting

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The MLS is a disgusting football league. I don't mean it as a compliment. I just watched part of the Philadelphia Union and Nashville playoff match. The fundamentals, markings, shots, and penalty efforts were abysmal. Why? Because the MLS is an Americanized effort at a sport that's not meant to be Americanized. Here's what they SHOULD do:

1. Promotion and Relegation - the MLS likes to "expand" teams. This is different to how practically every other league in the world does football. You've got the USL and NASL. Promote and relegate from there.
  2. The seasons are wrong - the teams start in the spring and finish in the fall. This puts the transfer windows out of order because most leagues in the world start in the fall and end in the Spring. This would put the transfer windows in sync.
  3. Academies instead of drafting - most football leagues in the world have football academies. Children as young as 8 go into these academies and learn football skills. They play others in that age group until 18 when their senior team has to decide whether or not to have them on the senior team. The MLS drafts as though it's the NFL. It's not the NFL, this is football. You can't just draft players and expect them to be top class
These are just 3 ways the MLS can stop being the joke of the world.
I simply can't watch MLS.
The game is simply too slow.
And I grew up watching Dallas tornado games live.
I'd lov eot support the leaguye but it is just hard to watch after watching EPL and UCL matches.

MLS has actually done a great job with academies like FC Dallas but FEW teams have them at that level.
FC Dallas has produced Weston McKinnie, Ricardo Pepi, The Mori brothers, Kellen Acosta, Reggie Cannon, Jesse Gonzales among others.
More teams need to build such academies but location matters. Thats why FC Dallas is so good.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
FWIW, I was a very good club soccer player as a kid playing up against older competitions and playing center forward and goalie.
In 8th grade I played with the girls team and we beat our boys team playing with just a girl in goal.
I played with Santos youth club then FW United.

Got to high school and lettered as a Freshman for the jacket then quit as a sophomore because no one(girls) came to our games....

I did get to play football in college but I was never going to be more than a spare given my size and speed yet had I stayed with Soccer I probably could have starred on a collegiate level.
That was an unfortunate decision but its tough to choose anything other than football or basketball in Texas.
And even being 6th string is a lot of fun as a Texas collegiate football player.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I simply can't watch MLS.
The game is simply too slow.
And I grew up watching Dallas tornado games live.
I'd lov eot support the leaguye but it is just hard to watch after watching EPL and UCL matches.

MLS has actually done a great job with academies like FC Dallas but FEW teams have them at that level.
FC Dallas has produced Weston McKinnie, Ricardo Pepi, The Mori brothers, Kellen Acosta, Reggie Cannon, Jesse Gonzales among others.
More teams need to build such academies but location matters. Thats why FC Dallas is so good.

Tbh, my club in Bournemouth had a player that started with FC Dallas named Emerson Hyndman (now with Atlanta). He didn't see a lot o action though and got sent to Atlanta on loan where he now plays.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Like the Timbers, gutted for Valeri missing in the shoot out but have to say I'm delighted for Ronny Deila. An absolutely great guy