The mostly trade mock

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
In the interest of trying to win now, here's a mock that takes advantage of some of the players who have been mentioned as being available for trade.

58 Trade for CB Patrick Peterson (2nd round pick plus Jourdan Lewis)
90 TE Jace Sternberger or TE Dawson Knox
128 Trade for DT Robert Nkemdiche (conditional — Dallas gets a fifth next year if he doesn't make the roster)
136 Trade for DE Solomon Thomas (conditional — Dallas gets a fifth next year if he doesn't make the roster)
165 Trade for DT Gerald McCoy
241 RB Xavier Turner (we could trade for RB Duke Johnson, but it would probably take a higher pick than this)

I know we would have to redo some contracts in order to fit all of these players in, but it would create a lot of competition along the defensive line ... and we could possibly recoup some picks by trading whoever loses the competition.

Last edited:

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
In the interest of trying to win now, here's a mock that takes advantage of some of the players who have been mentioned as being available for trade.

58 Trade for CB Patrick Peterson (2nd round pick plus Jourdan Lewis)
90 TE Jace Sternberger or TE Dawson Knox
128 Trade for DT Robert Nkemdiche (conditional — Dallas gets a fifth next year if he doesn't make the roster)
136 Trade for DE Solomon Thomas (conditional — Dallas gets a fifth next year if he doesn't make the roster)
165 Trade for DT Gerald McCoy
241 RB Xavier Turner (we could trade for RB Duke Johnson, but it would probably take a higher pick than this)

I know we would have to redo some contracts in order to fit all of these players in, but it would create a lot of competition along the defense line ... and we could possibly recoup some picks by trading whoever loses the competition.

I like the idea of trading for players during the draft because everyone overvalues draft picks. If we aren't going to draft a safety then maybe trading a pick to the Raiders for Karl Joseph would be an upgrade.

Sydla

Reaction score
I've seen people suggest Peterson makes sense because then we can let Jones walk.

But do people realize that while Jones is a FA after 2019, Peterson's deal expires in 2020? So it's not like you are getting a 3 or more years out of Peterson either.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I've seen people suggest Peterson makes sense because then we can let Jones walk.

But do people realize that while Jones is a FA after 2019, Peterson's deal expires in 2020? So it's not like you are getting a 3 or more years out of Peterson either.

I'm not in favor of replacing Jones with Peterson. I'm in favor of putting both of them at corner and moving Awusie to safety.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not in favor of replacing Jones with Peterson. I'm in favor of putting both of them at corner and moving Awusie to safety.

Two CBs making in excess of $13MM? Yeah that's not going to happen.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Two CBs making in excess of $13MM? Yeah that's not going to happen.

I think that kind of stuff sorts itself out. If Peterson plays well, you can renegotiate his deal, lowering his cap hit to $9 million or less. If Jones plays well, his first year cap hit also would probably be in that range. If either looks like they are not worth what they would get paid, then you make finding a replacement a priority, even if that means Awusie goes back to corner and you draft a safety.

This trade plan is a win now plan. I want to take our best shot at the Super Bowl. Then, we can sort the pieces.

To me, what would give us the best shot is fixing one hole in the secondary and finding someone who can play 3-tech like it's meant to be played in this scheme.