CFZ The murky thinking behind the Trey Lance trade

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Trance has not won the back up QB position yet.

Trance wants(more importantly needs) an opportunity to start(play). Unless that has changed he will want to sign with a team that he has a chance to start.

If Dak gets a new contract Trance will not be in Dallas in 2025. Unless he wants to be. Long term back up.

No one is even talking about Trance. Even with hypothetical trades of Dak going to another team. No one is talking about trading for Lance, but there are multiple other QB's being discussed in trade possibilities.

The talking head media have completely moved on from Trance. It is like he no longer exists.
They can’t pay Dak mega millions and expect to keep our important players.

Thats why they made the trade for Lance.

Is there a big drop in talent between Dak and Lance?

We know Dak stinks in the playoffs.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Nobody in the NFL will honestly have a real chance for him to start. At this point he needs to try and stay in the NFL and that means taking whatever is available. Right now his stock is that of a massive bust. There is not a GM in the NFL thinking "lets bring in Trey Lance to compete". He needs to put together a strong preseason and then hopefully that lands him on a roster next offseason.
He’s not a bust.

He broke his hand and his leg.

cowboyed

Reaction score
doesn't take long, because he has no arm strength to fit the ball in tight spaces. he has to play that way, because his ball velocity is so slow. I mean I watch him make throws in relief and its painful to see the ball travel through the air in slow motion, but its live TV!!
Good point about Rush's passing velocity. But the most horrible passer we had as backup and short term starter was Kellen Moore. I swear when he aired his passes they floated like helium balloons and when they fell short they dropped like bricks. Yet in one game from what I recall he passed for 400 yards. The opposing defense must have fallen asleep on the field.

Adreme

Reaction score
He’s not a bust.

So far the only times we have seen him play in the NFL he has looked awful. Then, when healthy, he lost a backup job to Sam Darnold. He has not looked like an NFL QB. He has been a bust so far. If he doesn’t play this year, barring a fantastic preseason, he will 0 opportunities to start and will be hoping to catch on as a backup.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Good point about Rush's passing velocity. But the most horrible passer we had as backup and short term starter was Kellen Moore. I swear when he aired his passes they floated like helium balloons and when they fell short they dropped like bricks. Yet in one game from what I recall he passed for 400 yards. The opposing defense must have fallen asleep on the field.
yeah I remember. but one game does not a king make. neither does 5 games. Rush's game fell apart quickly and DCs figured out, he has no arm strength and started to take away his short game.
btw, Jason Garrett had a 320 yard game, against GB, believe he had 4 TDs..... every dog has his day as they say

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

that's been happening since the last contract. people tend to think averages, not cap hit. money keeps getting pushed to the end of the contract. 4 years ago, people said the same thing. impossible to sign other players. we signed a bunch. we signed cooper. last year we had 20M on the cap left, this year we had 20M before Diggs contract.

point is not to say hey lets resign Dak. point is contracts get manipulated. yes, there is not infiinte cap. but every team does it. plus you don't have a team of 10 highly paid players. nobody does. that's Madden NFL or Yahoo Fantasy football. most teams peak at 5 or so players at best.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He’s not a bust.

he is a bust, based on being #3 pick, whose team gave up a ton to get him, being let go for a 4th round pick. demoted to 3rd stringer on his original team (not even back up). and 3rd stringer on his current team. the games he played, he showe nothing. below average. he does throw a pretty spiral. so did Andre Ware

DuncanIso

Reaction score
KMoore very successful in college Ball.

Probably why he’s been an excellent OC in the NFL.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Any player who was drafted number three overall and still is a scrub team 3rd-team QB is a bust.

BTW, even you must admit, he's made of glass.
I wouldn’t say that about his injuries.

I think Daks break was worse. But Lance had multiple surgeries on his leg.

The hand took a while to heal also.

The injuries stink. But it’s the reason we were able to make the trade.

The kid is a phenom at QB.

Tons of video on the kid.

Jimbo123

Reaction score

Too bad the 49ers never watched those videos.. :muttley: :muttley: :muttley: :muttley:
What other phenom QB was a 3rd team scrub QB after 3 years?

kskboys

Reaction score
he is a bust, based on being #3 pick, whose team gave up a ton to get him, being let go for a 4th round pick. demoted to 3rd stringer on his original team (not even back up). and 3rd stringer on his current team. the games he played, he showe nothing. below average. he does throw a pretty spiral. so did Andre Ware
Good comparison.

Jimbo123

Reaction score

Too bad the 49ers never watched those videos.. :muttley: :muttley: :muttley: :muttley:
What other phenom QB was a 3rd team scrub QB after 3 years?
I said," Phenom".
BTW, Romo was #2 in 2005 and wasn't the #3 overall pick.
:muttley: :muttley: :muttley: :muttley:

Chasing6

Reaction score

We also know Trance can't win the back up job.

cowboyed

Reaction score
KMoore very successful in college Ball.

Probably why he’s been an excellent OC in the NFL.
True the NFL is another universe of competitive performance particularly throwing the football and the work demands are greater. I thought he would have found a home with the Chargers even with the new head coach coming in. I think Kellen is NFC East-centric.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I believe they wanted a young quarterback on the roster with starter potential (based on his draft position) who could eventually start if Dak was lost for the season while also giving them a potential future replacement for Dak.

While Cooper Rush is 4-1 as a starter, he's a bus-driver, not a franchise quarterback so he's a great option to get you through a couple of games each season, but not one if the franchise quarterback is lost for the season.

As a bonus, if Lance's ability improved under McCarthy and his staff's coaching in 2023 and that leads to a solid 2024 pre-season performance, it's quite possible the Cowboys could trade him to a quarterback-desperate team before the season starts for players they need or a higher-than-4th round pick(s).
Bingo

Chasing6

Reaction score
I believe they wanted a young quarterback on the roster with starter potential (based on his draft position) who could eventually start if Dak was lost for the season while also giving them a potential future replacement for Dak.

While Cooper Rush is 4-1 as a starter, he's a bus-driver, not a franchise quarterback so he's a great option to get you through a couple of games each season, but not one if the franchise quarterback is lost for the season.

As a bonus, if Lance's ability improved under McCarthy and his staff's coaching in 2023 and that leads to a solid 2024 pre-season performance, it's quite possible the Cowboys could trade him to a quarterback-desperate team before the season starts for players they need or a higher-than-4th round pick(s).
How does that work, when he is basically gone at the end of the year?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does that work, when he is basically gone at the end of the year?
If he were traded, his new team would likely work out a contract extension with him before the trade is completed, which is common for players who are traded with one year remaining on their current contract.

I would also not be surprised, assuming the Cowboys are happy with Lance's progress last season, to see the Cowboys work out a contract extension with him as well and then not trade him.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If he were traded, his new team would likely work out a contract extension with him before the trade is completed, which is common for players who are traded with one year remaining on their current contract.

I would also not be surprised, assuming the Cowboys are happy with Lance's progress last season, to see the Cowboys work out a contract extension with him as well and then not trade him.
Well it all comes down to Dak's contract. If he gets extended, Trance wants an opportunity to start, then he is gone.(wasted trade)

If Trance has come to the conclusion he is a back up, maybe he resigns and sits behind Dak.

Or Dak's last year and Trance has an opportunity to play.

We will find out in the couple of weeks.