The need for a 3 Pass Rusher

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think the front office has done a good job of addressing all the needs, except maybe Safety and a #3 Edge Rusher.

As for safety, think they do have quality options available such as Kazee, Wilson and maybe even Lewis, but the third edge rusher is currently Basham, Anae, both unproven players.

Will we see another late pass rusher add like Griffen last season? Justin Houston is still out there, along with Melvin Ingram, could we land one at a discounted price?

Batman1980

Reaction score
IP73r.gif

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
At DE, Cowboys have:

Bradlee Anae
Dorance Armstrong
Tarell Basham
Ron'Dell Carter
Chauncey Golston
Randy Gregory
Ladarius Hamilton
DeMarcus Lawrence
Breeland Speaks
Brent Urban
Carlos Watkins

Looks like they have plenty of players to choose from to make the team at DE/Edge.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
At DE, Cowboys have:

Bradlee Anae
Dorance Armstrong
Tarell Basham
Ron'Dell Carter
Chauncey Golston
Randy Gregory
Ladarius Hamilton
DeMarcus Lawrence
Breeland Speaks
Brent Urban
Carlos Watkins

Looks like they have plenty of players to choose from to make the team at DE/Edge.
There isn't one on this list, that scares any offense, outside the 2 starters.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the front office has done a good job of addressing all the needs, except maybe Safety and a #3 Edge Rusher.

As for safety, think they do have quality options available such as Kazee, Wilson and maybe even Lewis, but the third edge rusher is currently Basham, Anae, both unproven players.

Will we see another late pass rusher add like Griffen last season? Justin Houston is still out there, along with Melvin Ingram, could we land one at a discounted price?
Maybe. I didnt see them going after Griffen last year. However, I think they are going to roll with Basham. I think they are high on Gregory going into this season and they will probably play him in most alignments , but it could be more of a 2022 need of he doesnt work out

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
At DE, Cowboys have:

Bradlee Anae
Dorance Armstrong
Tarell Basham
Ron'Dell Carter
Chauncey Golston
Randy Gregory
Ladarius Hamilton
DeMarcus Lawrence
Breeland Speaks
Brent Urban
Carlos Watkins

FR. Plenty of options.

Mr_437

Reaction score
At DE, Cowboys have:

Bradlee Anae
Dorance Armstrong
Tarell Basham

Ron'Dell Carter
Chauncey Golston
Randy Gregory
Ladarius Hamilton
DeMarcus Lawrence
Breeland Speaks
Brent Urban
Carlos Watkins

Basham is the #3 Edge right now with Armstrong n Anae looking to take a step forward. It's a concern for sure.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Maybe. I didnt see them going after Griffen last year. However, I think they are going to roll with Basham. I think they are high on Gregory going into this season and they will probably play him in most alignments , but it could be more of a 2022 need of he doesnt work out
Could be right, I wonder if Parsons is also used to rusher at times.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think the Cowboys believe they drafted a DE (Golston) and S (Mukuamu), they just aren't names fans want to hear.

I don't expect any of the free agents no one else has seen fit to sign being brought to Dallas soon. Not sure why people keep expecting a leopard to change his spots.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
So yet again we roll into a season with Gregory as one of our starting DEs? I mean why not. 5th time is the charm.

Knotamus

Reaction score
The pass rush is a collective effort from the DL. Of course, Players like Lawrence and Gregory will be judged and/or get the glory based on their sack totals. Although, I’d rather see a complete DL that spreads out the sack accumulation, like Gallimore, Hill, Urban, and Odigizuwa adding 3-5sacks themselves. And rotational DEs doing the same. If this happens, it will be difficult for teams to double team any one particular player.

Securing the middle and stopping the run is where it all starts. Making teams one dimensional by passing the ball, gives our defense a better chance for more sacks and turnovers. I believe Dallas has done a great job, under the current cap restraints, to rectify the run defense with additions like Urban, Bohanna, Odigizuwa, Basham, Golston, and Parsons. Throw in returning players like Gallimore and Hill, our run defense will be much improved.

That said, Lawrence and Gregory should have great years this season bc teams can’t focus solely on them. This should also allow players like Armstrong, Anae, and Golston to improve. Again, this is a collective effort that I feel confident will work.

Side note: I also feel like Terell Basham will be a player and surprise some folks. Not saying double digits sacks or anything, but 6-8sacks wouldn’t surprise me one bit. Basham excelled in 4-3 scheme in college, which the Jets 3-4 scheme did him no favors. He’s got a quick first step and some pass rush moves that make him intriguing. If Lawrence takes him under his wing.. he will be your answer at DE3.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There isn't one on this list, that scares any offense, outside the 2 starters.
Those two starters are not exactly on solid footing here.

Check Lawrence's upcoming cap figures. That will need to be dealt with....and when was the last time Jerry asked someone for a pay cut? Never. More likely 90 is cut. Maybe a restructure but how long can they pay him as a sack guy when he isnt??

Which leads to the next problem....the actual sack guy....

If Gregory has any type of decent season, teams will be lining up to get him. He will need to be paid almost either way.

This is why I wanted a top pick spent on the position, but apparently we still operate year to year plugging gaps. Never ahead of it.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Check Lawrence's upcoming cap figures. That will need to be dealt with....and when was the last time Jerry asked someone for a pay cut? Never. More likely 90 is cut. Maybe a restructure but how long can they pay him as a sack guy when he isnt??

Not arguing Lawrence’s salary, it is what it is for now..

But it’s hard to get sacks when he’s been the main focus of the opponents OL and teams can run all over the rest of the DL. All I’m saying is.. he hasn’t had much help. Hopefully, this year that changes.. and Lawrence sack production should increase because of it.

Aven8

Reaction score
We still don’t know what Anae and Carter are yet. They may turn out to be studs for all we know. Draft picks have to marinate generally in the NFL. I remember when we drafted Dlaw and he wasn’t that good his first year as well.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
At DE, Cowboys have:

Bradlee Anae
Dorance Armstrong
Tarell Basham
Ron'Dell Carter
Chauncey Golston
Randy Gregory
Ladarius Hamilton
DeMarcus Lawrence
Breeland Speaks
Brent Urban
Carlos Watkins

Of those 11 above, I guess only about 5 or 6 are going to make the team. Barring injury, Lawrence and Gregory are locks. Same with Golston by virtue of being a 3rd rd pick. That leave 2 or 3 of the 8 making the team.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not arguing Lawrence’s salary, it is what it is for now..

But it’s hard to get sacks when he’s been the main focus of the opponents OL and teams can run all over the rest of the DL. All I’m saying is.. he hasn’t had much help. Hopefully, this year that changes.. and Lawrence sack production should increase because of it.
I appreciate Lawrence. I really do. People overrate sack numbers, but realistically, those guys get paid.

His 2021 number is fine....but the contract was obviously back loaded and the 27m and 29m figures coming up will need to be dealt with.

No way they can carry that AND Gregory unless Gregory blows it again....and that isn't good news either.

Point is.. its a need position unless Anae and Carter step up quite a bit.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Lawrence is due 19 million and 21 million in base salary for 2022 and 2023. This is basically a contract year for him. He pretty much only plays well in contract years so at least we have that much going for him. Randy Gregory's career has basically been a joke up to this point yet some people still think it is OK to count on him as a starting DE. Complete madness IMHO. This is basically a contract year for him as well so at least we have that working in our favor as well. Lets just say that I am cautiously optimistic that we will at least be average.