The new head coaches for 2023

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can we get a GM with real NFL experience. :muttley:

All of those new HC's have a challenge on their hands.

Maybe the best situation is the Colts. They have some good players, as they needed better QB play.
Payton needs to get the OL fixed, as I think part of Wilson's issues were with protection. He was like the 3rd most sacked QB this last season.
Panthers showed some fight in them, so that will beintersting as well.

Cards and Texans are a huge mess though.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Can we get a GM with real NFL experience. :muttley:

All of those new HC's have a challenge on their hands.

Maybe the best situation is the Colts. They have some good players, as they needed better QB play.
Payton needs to get the OL fixed, as I think part of Wilson's issues were with protection. He was like the 3rd most sacked QB this last season.
Panthers showed some fight in them, so that will beintersting as well.

Cards and Texans are a huge mess though.
I think Reich is an excellent NFL coach…..who will absolutely fail if they don’t find a QB.

I’m actually a little surprised he jumped at the same exact recipe for failure that he just got out of. He isn’t getting a third shot.

If the QB Houston gets at 2 is the real deal, it’ll be stunning how smart and great of a coach Ryans becomes. If they don’t, that same guy will be a DC before long.

I think the moral is clear….either have an elite QB, or stud to very good players at 16-18 of the other 21 positions.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
I’m a defensive guy and I noticed a trend that DCs that get hired are normally starting with garbage at QB as if they are setup to fail.
Lovie Smith - Bad QB
Dennis Allen - Bad QB
Demico Ryans - Bad QB (most likely)
Vic Fangio - Bad QB
Robert Saleh - Bad QB
The only defensive coaches to be in the playoffs both had legit QBs when they got hired
Todd Bowles - TB12
Staley - Justin Herbert
These defensive coaches need to make sure they go into situations where the QB situation is good, it will delay their firing for at least a few years. Russell was bad, but he’s been a good QB for a while before this year. I find it funny they fire fangio with trash at QB and then hire a new coach and immediately work on getting him (at that time anyway) a legitimate QB

Majic

Reaction score
I think the overall winner is the broncos. Do give up essentially just a late first for Payton was good going

Reid1boys

Reaction score
3 offense, 2 defense. 2 with prior head coach experience and 3 without.
all 5 wont do squat unless they hit the qb jack pot. We see this over and over and over and over. I especially love their press conferences. They tell us how they are going to play fast, going to be physical and are going to come at you for 60 minutes..... bahahahhahahahahhaahha, but at the end of the day, you still have the same sorry qb the guy that just got canned had.

Strol

Reaction score
So Philly ended up losing both coordinators. That's going to be a big obstacle for them.
One would think. But both are wildly overrated. They had the most talented o line and most talented d line in the game. The Colts could be ok, the Cardinals are going to be a disaster. The Eagles wont see much of a change.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I’m a defensive guy and I noticed a trend that DCs that get hired are normally starting with garbage at QB as if they are setup to fail.
Lovie Smith - Bad QB
Dennis Allen - Bad QB
Demico Ryans - Bad QB (most likely)
Vic Fangio - Bad QB
Robert Saleh - Bad QB
The only defensive coaches to be in the playoffs both had legit QBs when they got hired
Todd Bowles - TB12
Staley - Justin Herbert
These defensive coaches need to make sure they go into situations where the QB situation is good, it will delay their firing for at least a few years. Russell was bad, but he’s been a good QB for a while before this year. I find it funny they fire fangio with trash at QB and then hire a new coach and immediately work on getting him (at that time anyway) a legitimate QB
well it just shows that maybe those guys are not smart enough to be a HC?
They all took the jobs knowing what they were getting into.

Staubacher

Reaction score
I predict Ryans will be the only one with the same gig in 3 years. Hot. Sports. Take.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
well it just shows that maybe those guys are not smart enough to be a HC?
They all took the jobs knowing what they were getting into.
Exactly!!! If I’m a DC I’m not going into a situation knowing that I am handicapped at the most important position. If you look at Brandon Staley his defense is bad, but he’s got a good QB and has a winning record. He better watch himself because if the Offense takes off with Kellen Moore and his defense falters again and they start losing he’s basically hired his replacement

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I'll bet they make the playoffs next year if they get a QB. Much better roster than most think. Extra draft picks from Watson trade and money to spend in FA.

Just look at tough they played the Cowboys and Chiefs down the stretch.
They can have Dak right now for a 2nd round pick and his contract. I agree with you. The texans roster is pretty good. They needed a coach and still need a QB. They were a tough out every game they played.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I'll bet they make the playoffs next year if they get a QB. Much better roster than most think. Extra draft picks from Watson trade and money to spend in FA.

Just look at tough they played the Cowboys and Chiefs down the stretch.
Agreed. I think the Texans are going to be very interesting to watch next year. Ryans will have a strong defense. He just needs some luck with a QB next year and to build around that.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
They can have Dak right now for a 2nd round pick and his contract. I agree with you. The texans roster is pretty good. They needed a coach and still need a QB. They were a tough out every game they played.
Actually that’s not a bad idea. They would get him for a reasonable price - 2 years at 30m a season. A high second would be sweet… I’d sign off that in a heartbeat.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I like Johnathan Gannon. He reminds me of the main villain, Ganon, in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Great game.

Anyway, I’m interested to see how Steichen handles that dumpster fire roster the Colts have.