The new poison: Passing game explodes

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
I'm a little worried about the running game, to be honest.

Meh, the other teams are leaning against the run and Romo is smoking them. As long as Tony stays healthy, we're good on O.

Put your concern on the D, they scare me every time they take the field. No lead is safe with them.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Meh, the other teams are leaning against the run and Romo is smoking them. As long as Tony stays healthy, we're good on O.

Put your concern on the D, they scare me every time they take the field. No lead is safe with them.

They looked like a different defense Sunday. Teams don't show everything in the regular season at times but I' not sure that applies to us. I think we just played on fire and executed better. Haven't looked at any film but it appeared we played more to their strengths. Carr just has to play physical and more man; he also has to have help over the top when he does because if he gets beat early he doesn't have the speed to close.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
They looked like a different defense Sunday. Teams don't show everything in the regular season at times but I' not sure that applies to us. I think we just played on fire and executed better. Haven't looked at any film but it appeared we played more to their strengths. Carr just has to play physical and more man; he also has to have help over the top when he does because if he gets beat early he doesn't have the speed to close.

Yes, they have their moments where they are very good. They still worry me though. They're a little short of talent on that side, but as I pointed out in another thread here about the D, they have had some very good games this year. They're playing pretty good right now, I just hope they can sustain it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The point is that defenses are now playing us the way we've been wanting them to all along. Now we are scoring more points than we did when they were giving us the run.

IOW, we got what we wanted for Christmas.

As long as Tony keeps playing insanely good football. That's kind of the coolest thing about this shift. I'm not worried about him at all, but it always comes down to executing in the passing game. Our turnovers defensively, or Tony playing great and elevating the team to a whole different level.

jrumann59

Reaction score
You also forget we have had some nagging injuries on the right side, this Free's second run in with the injury bug and Martin is nicked up now also.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You also forget we have had some nagging injuries on the right side, this Free's second run in with the injury bug and Martin is nicked up now also.

Not particularly worried about the run. Teams have proven that they can sell out to contain it, and that's what's happening. We've adjusted, and then some, with the passing game. You can't reasonably expect us to be as effective as we were when they sell out to stop it.

It's only a problem if your QB doesn't continue to make teams pay for committing too many resources up front. Then you get what we had on Thanksgiving. I do worry about getting another stinker from Tony somewhere along the line, but that's something all playoff teams have to contend with. If he has a rough outing, then somebody has to step up and make a couple individual plays. Defense, kicking game. Wherever.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
This is one example where the sports cliche "pick your poison" certainly applies.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Dez TD, 1st and 10
Cole BeasleyTD 1st and 10

So, first down passes work pretty well, even though Dallas doesn't do them that frequently.