The next game decides nothing....

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1241693 said:
No, it's not. It doesnt matter if we're already in. We were in back in 2003, but we clearly had no right being there. That team didnt have character. Just because we are in doesnt mean we will do anything once we're there. I'd just as soon go 0-16 and get the first pick than back into the playoffs and get blasted in the first round.

This week will prove a lot about what this year's group is made of
That's just revisionist history. A lot of people gave us a pretty decent shot of beating the Panthers in 2003. Consdiering, ya know that we beat them in the regular season.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
windward;1241709 said:
That's just revisionist history. A lot of people gave us a pretty decent shot of beating the Panthers in 2003. Consdiering, ya know that we beat them in the regular season.

No one gave us a real shot. We barely beat them in Texas Stadium in the regular season in a game that was very questionably officiated. Carolina was a far superior team and proved it. We were the worst team in the NFC playoffs that year. There's nothing revisionist about it.

bbuck822

Reaction score
What the heck am I reading! This is crazy stuff! Every win matters! Every game matters! This isn't like MLB or NBA. 16 games are not a lot to say we could lose and still win a division if we follow up with a win vs. Detroit and an Eagle loss. That is just so obserd souding I can't believe that I just typed that. We are where we are because we have won. Win next week and not only do we CLINCH THE NFC EAST, but we have a chance at a #2 seed. Now, please tell me that sounds a lot better than not winning next week!

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1241706 said:
How is it backing into the playoffs when we have as many wins as any other wild card team could ever have AND have beaten the teams like the Panthers and Falcons, one of which is basically eliminated and the other which cannot be ahead of us.

Under no definition of the term "backing in" can it be said that a team that clinches a playoff berth in week 15 has backed in.

Maybe a 10-6 record, which includes losses in our two biggest games of the year, and a wild card berth is good enough for some people, but I would hope as Dallas fans we would expect to go out and dominate on Christmas, take the division and hopefully the #2 seed.

My how the mighty have fallen. Sorry I have higher expectations than you. Teams who can't win big home games in December with the division and a bye on the line don't get my respect.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
bbuck822;1241720 said:
What the heck am I reading! This is crazy stuff! Every win matters! Every game matters! This isn't like MLB or NBA. 16 games are not a lot to say we could lose and still win a division if we follow up with a win vs. Detroit and an Eagle loss. That is just so obserd souding I can't believe that I just typed that. We are where we are because we have won. Win next week and not only do we CLINCH THE NFC EAST, but we have a chance at a #2 seed. Now, please tell me that sounds a lot better than not winning next week!

Exactly, this "If we lose we're still in" mentality is sickening. I question the fandom of people who think like that.

J-DOG

Reaction score
juckie;1241586 said:
if we win yes we win the title,but if we lose we can still win the title by beating the lions and the eagles losing to atlanta.
If we can not beat the Eagles then do we really deserve to win the division with only 2 wins within the division?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1241714 said:
No one gave us a real shot. We barely beat them in Texas Stadium in the regular season in a game that was very questionably officiated. Carolina was a far superior team and proved it. We were the worst team in the NFC playoffs that year. There's nothing revisionist about it.
Yes we were given a shot. It was expected to be a close, low scoring affair. The fact that it wasn't doesn't change the fact that the game was a tossup. The Panthers were three point favorites due to home field. It was not seen as the mismatch you make it out to be.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1241724 said:
Maybe a 10-6 record, which includes losses in our two biggest games of the year, and a wild card berth is good enough for some people, but I would hope as Dallas fans we would expect to go out and dominate on Christmas, take the division and hopefully the #2 seed.

My how the mighty have fallen. Sorry I have higher expectations than you. Teams who can't win big home games in December with the division and a bye on the line don't get my respect.
I don think anyone here expects us ot to beat the Eagles on Monday. The season is by no means over if we lose though.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Ah yes the "I have bigger expectations than you". Pretty ironic coming from an Aggie fan whose only goal every season is to beat Texas but I digress.

I accept what the team is, 9-5, winners of five of the last six, with a one game lead in the division. In other words, a very good team.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1241747 said:
Ah yes the "I have bigger expectations than you". Pretty ironic coming from an Aggie fan whose only goal every season is to beat Texas but I digress.

I accept what the team is, 9-5, winners of five of the last six, with a one game lead in the division. In other words, a very good team.
I'm afraid you didn't get the memo that states thsat after every loss we don't deserve to make the playoffs.

scottsp

Reaction score
With New Orleans losing today, next week's game just became that much more important. We are very much alive for the conference's number two seed. I believe we will come loaded for bear. I expect Philly to do the same.

MONT17

Reaction score
juckie;1241586 said:
if we win yes we win the title,but if we lose we can still win the title by beating the lions and the eagles losing to atlanta.

this thread changed my whole outlook on the season!!!

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
juckie;1241586 said:

i don't wanna put my eggs in the vick basket, but sure it's possible.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
windward;1241758 said:
I'm afraid you didn't get the memo that states thsat after every loss we don't deserve to make the playoffs.

I guess. Losses to allegedly good teams are important but wins in Carolina, New York, Atlanta are not.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It means everything...a team that finishes 2-4 in its own division should not expect to do much in the playoffs.

We've shown we can string wins together this year...there's no excuse to be given if we lose this game...no calls of "everyone has a bad game"...whoever wins this game is the division leader with 1 game to play and destiny in its own hands.

AT home, The Cowboys should win this game rather handily unless the defense is still missing in action.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
wayne_motley;1241877 said:
It means everything...a team that finishes 2-4 in its own division should not expect to do much in the playoffs.

We've shown we can string wins together this year...there's no excuse to be given if we lose this game...no calls of "everyone has a bad game"...whoever wins this game is the division leader with 1 game to play and destiny in its own hands.

AT home, The Cowboys should win this game rather handily unless the defense is still missing in action.

Actually, we win, we win the division. Eagles win, they just control their own destiny.

joseephuss

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1241726 said:
Exactly, this "If we lose we're still in" mentality is sickening. I question the fandom of people who think like that.

Nice to question someone as a fan after you already said you would rather go 0-16. Getting the #1 pick doesn't mean anything if you can't make the right pick. And if a team is that bad, then a single #1 pick isn't going to change much. Of those choices, backing into the playoffs is better than going winless. Better than either of those is going into the playoffs on a strong note by winning the next two games and dealing with what ever seed that creates.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
joseephuss;1241934 said:
Nice to question someone as a fan after you already said you would rather go 0-16. Getting the #1 pick doesn't mean anything if you can't make the right pick. And if a team is that bad, then a single #1 pick isn't going to change much. Of those choices, backing into the playoffs is better than going winless. Better than either of those is going into the playoffs on a strong note by winning the next two games and dealing with what ever seed that creates.
case in point: The Arizona Cardinals

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
juckie;1241586 said:
icon1.gif
The next game decides nothing....if we win yes we win the title,but if we lose we can still win the title by beating the lions and the eagles losing to atlanta.
I've read that over many times and still don't get it. Is this a joke or something?