'The NFL Beat': Scouting the Senior Bowl/ See Rob Ryan comments

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Ntegrase96;4401054 said:
You seem to be the only one in this thread that gets it.

I don't think anyone is missing anything.........this is a 4th round CB we are talking about.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
SDogo;4401073 said:
I don't think anyone is missing anything.........this is a 4th round CB we are talking about.

That's fair. I glanced over most of the responses, none of which were upset or concerned about Rob Ryan's 'only looking at DBs' approach in response to a question about draft needs. Jumped to conclusions a bit and I apologize. But as far as DBs go, yes we need em ,but they're not the most important thing that will make our defense better.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Here is an excellent youtube video of Leonard Johnson's battle with Justin Blackmon and Oklahoma St. I really hadn't paid much attention to Johnson throughout his career, so I can't offer any insight other than what I've read and what is available on youtube. He seemed to have a pretty good game against Blackmon, making plays and giving up a few. I wouldn't mind if we got this guy in round 3.

[youtube]nLSX5dI5uhw[/youtube]

Gaede

Reaction score
Looks like a player to me...Looks to have very good instincts. Reminds me Flowers a couple years ago

TVMan

Reaction score
SDogo;4400411 said:
I'm surprised if he's looking at Johnson. If I recall correctly Rob is big on his CB's tackling well and supporting the run defense. While Johnson is stout and can lay the wood he is not exactly a dependable tackler. It's either hit or miss with him. He does have good corner skills and was one of the few CB's this year that kept Blackmon in check.

Johnson had over 200 career tackles at the CB position. How is that not dependable? He doesn't shy away from contact.

SDogo

Reaction score
TVMan;4401682 said:
Johnson had over 200 career tackles at the CB position. How is that not dependable? He doesn't shy away from contact.

Newman was 6th on the team in total tackles this year, 226 total over the last 4 years, how do you like his tackling because Johnson mimics him.

TVMan

Reaction score
SDogo;4401696 said:
Newman was 6th on the team in total tackles this year, 226 total over the last 4 years, how do you like his tackling because Johnson mimics him.

So he ducks and allows guys to jump over him?

SDogo

Reaction score
TVMan;4401823 said:
So he ducks and allows guys to jump over him?

I actually hoped you envisioned that because the only person I saw on tape get hurdled more then Newman was Johnson.

TVMan

Reaction score
SDogo;4401854 said:
I actually hoped you envisioned that because the only person I saw on tape get hurdled more then Newman was Johnson.

To be fair though, he (Johnson) did make his share of good tackles too.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;4400628 said:
I'm really high on the tackling of minnifield. He breaks down and wraps up.

Yep.

Minnifield, Hosley, Kirkpatrick are probably your top 3 tackling CBs this draft.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
burmafrd;4400666 said:
I agree. Take anything any coach or GM says before the draft with a LARGE GRAIN OF SALT.

Even if it's true, it means that the only defensive players they're likely to take in the first round are corners, and I don't think that would suprise anybody since we know how strong the class is. Unless some LB or DE really stands out he can scout for later round picks on film and such, and go by the other scouts.

Primetime42

Reaction score
SDogo;4401854 said:
Blame Campo...