The NFL is a mess

BiffWellingtonIII

Reaction score
And run by ***clowns
Bryant made the play down the sideline with 4:36 remaining on the clock, but about 30 seconds ran off the clock before Green Bay Packershead coach Mike McCarthy elected to challenge the ruling on the field. After a review, Steratore ruled that the play was incomplete, which should have triggered a reset of the game clock to 4:36.

mldardy

Reaction score
And run by ***clowns
Bryant made the play down the sideline with 4:36 remaining on the clock, but about 30 seconds ran off the clock before Green Bay Packershead coach Mike McCarthy elected to challenge the ruling on the field. After a review, Steratore ruled that the play was incomplete, which should have triggered a reset of the game clock to 4:36.

Yeah David Moore mentioned this on the Ticket. Interesting.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
And run by ***clowns

Yes, that was pointed out by several on here earlier, but I doubt that those 30 seconds made any difference. Yes, it was an officiating gaffe, but in the overall scheme of things, a small one.

The Natural

Reaction score
Does it really matter? Our Defense crapped the bed anyway, and then the packers pulled off a miracle play to actually end it.

Just wasn't our day even with so many things in our favor.

The defense certainly did give up some long drives. But if you told me before the game the Packers would score 26 points I think I'd feel pretty confident we would be the victors.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Does it really matter? Our Defense crapped the bed anyway, and then the packers pulled off a miracle play to actually end it.

I don't agree that the defense "crapped the bed", but we did have plenty of opportunities to win.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Brad Sham, long-time Cowboys radio announcer, put it eloquently on 105.3 The Fan: It's football.

Lot's of bad calls/non-calls were made/not made but that is the game out football and the officiating that goes with it.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Listen, we can keep going down memory lane all we want, but the facts still remain facts.

-We couldn't adjust to Rodgers in the 2nd half.

-Murray and his fumble, made things even worst.

-WR's were not getting open. Romo danced for days, until getting sacked trying to find a man.

-Dez made a hell of a play. 1 I Would call a catch if I had it my way. Still we put ourselves in that situation, when we shouldn't have. We shouldn't need a superman type play to bail us out when we had control of the game at 1 point, and Rodgers looking like RG3.

We did this, not the Refs, we did this.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And run by ***clowns

Yes, they announced last week that 7 penalties or non-penalties went against the Cowboys after the league reviewed the game. I'm sure there were some mistakes going the other way also, but they didn't announce those.

The refs are just not very good. I don't know if it's because they are part timers. I tend to feel that the refs whose other jobs are also as refs (1 guy is a college basketball ref) are probably better than the guys that sell insurance during the week and off-season. The union is also a problem. I think the union gets in the middle of the process of holding them accountable.

I wish the NFL would have just stay with the replacement refs and then the next season just promoted some college refs to do the job. That would have done away with the union protecting these knuckleheads.

If anybody want evidence of the weasel mentality of the refs, just listen to Mike Pereira the retired ref that works for Fox.

The rules don't really help either. The Dez catch ruling as explained by Pereira is just too complicated. Did he make a football motion or lunge for the goal line, etc.. are just to subjective. If a receiver gets 2 feet down and has possession of the ball at that time it should be a catch. If the drops it after that (in bounds) it should be a fumble.

mldardy

Reaction score

It does matter. The game and situation are probably played differently with 30 extra seconds on the clock. Maybe Green Bay goes a little more conservative, maybe not. That's the great thing about what if's. We don't know what would happen. Just assuming our defense crapped the bed isn't good enough. The game still needs to be played.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Listen, we can keep going down memory lane all we want, but the facts still remain facts.

-We couldn't adjust to Rodgers in the 2nd half.

-Murray and his fumble, made things even worst.

-WR's were not getting open. Romo danced for days, until getting sacked trying to find a man.

-Dez made a hell of a play. 1 I Would call a catch if I had it my way. Still we put ourselves in that situation, when we shouldn't have. We shouldn't need a superman type play to bail us out when we had control of the game at 1 point, and Rodgers looking like RG3.

We did this, not the Refs, we did this.

I get it. I do. I saw the game too, and the ending of the first half , "I cringed".....

But I respectfully disagree. We made mistakes, didnt do this, didnt do that, couldnt contain Rodgers(few can) etc etc..

And despite all of it, all the little mistakes, and bad plays, we fought and climbed are way into a position to take the lead with about 4 minutes left. We wavered through the adversity and came back........we went on to the next play after making a bad one , and came back swinging , instead of folding..... The greatest teams ever assembled have to do this from time to time.....the greatest teams ever coaches will have to do this from time to time, and guess what....WE DID.

We did do it!!! This team showed a lot of heart and soul and left it all on the field......even after making those mistakes..

And after fighting, they put themselves into position to win the game. Which is what Great Teams do. Mentally tough teams do, teams that don't give up or cry when they make a mistake. This team had a lot of heart and soul. And I am convinced they would've won the entire thing....Super Bowl Champs.........................

if it wasn't for this...."official" who also called the CJ rule a few years ago. Same freaking guy..... 99% of the rest of the world, says its a catch. But he didn't...

We were the better team. That was a Catch. We would've won that game if not for the bad call. We should be going to Seattle.

I feel robbed by the NFL today.....taking advantage of.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It'd be easier on us if you'd just start opening your rants in the Rant Zone, Biff.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If anybody want evidence of the weasel mentality of the refs, just listen to Mike Pereira the retired ref that works for Fox.

The rules don't really help either. The Dez catch ruling as explained by Pereira is just too complicated. Did he make a football motion or lunge for the goal line, etc.. are just to subjective. If a receiver gets 2 feet down and has possession of the ball at that time it should be a catch. If the drops it after that (in bounds) it should be a fumble.

There's unnecessary grey area there and 'interpretation' which will always cause issues and failures.

The fix isn't rocket science. Tell us how many steps a receiver holding the ball must take and be done with it.

1? 2? 3? Pick your number and stick with it and do away with this "football move" nonsense.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
If the Dez play stand we get 6/7. No doubt. I think that would have amped up our defense. And maybe things would have been different.
Now that time has passed I'm disappointed in our defense play calling. Under pressure Rodgers throws were all over the place.
We played to protect a small lead. That was a mistake.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
There's unnecessary grey area there and 'interpretation' which will always cause issues and failures.

The fix isn't rocket science. Tell us how many steps a receiver holding the ball must take and be done with it.

1? 2? 3? Pick your number and stick with it and do away with this "football move" nonsense.

Agreed, I'm not even sure what that means any more.

jimmy40

Reaction score
And run by ***clowns
was Garrett trying to get the clock reset?