The NFL New Year 2024 Begins

Sandyf

Reaction score
Well here we are with the start of the new NFL year. And as usual, at least for the last 10 years, the Cowboys enter not doing anything or at least as far as we know. Opinions and rumors are running rampant on the site from rebuild to stupidity of the front office to God knows what. Do any of us or the media know what the Cowboys i.e. Jones are going to do? Very doubtful that anyone outside the organization knows anything which is what Jerry absolutely wants. Then he will gather all the attention when he does when he makes a splash.

Don't believe for a second that he is in rebuilding stage. Just not his style or in his demeanor, he does want to win and make the playoffs because that is what keeps the Cowboys relevant all year long. Is it a salary cap problem? Sure somewhat but just look at the landscape and teams worse off than us in cap are making waves. The first wave of free agency is always about overpaying and the Jones hate to do it unless it is one of their own. Could many of those guys help us that were signed, I believe so but even-though there were a few I thought would be perfect, I knew it wasn't happening.

What I do find interesting though is our own free agents like Tyron Smith and Stephon Gilmore and Jordan Lewis. Why does there not seem to be any interest in those guys? They all were rated in the top 100/150 free agents especially Smith and yet nothing about them making visits or getting offers. Smith is like a top ten free agent. Say what you will about his injuries over the years, he is still better than any of the tackles especially LT signed the last two days. Does Dallas have them locked up with contracts that they will announce today? Are the negotiations with Prescott and Lamb even happening? No word about any other restructures except Martin, so are others going to happen like now?

So just a what if, if I may, could the Cowboys announce the extensions of Dak and Lamb say today along with the signing of Smith and Gilmore? Then we know the cap will have money to spend, so the question is who does Zimmer want for his defense because you have expect it to happen first. And on offense, which RB does McCarthy want, maybe Dillion. Lots of those projected prices for those not signed the last two days just went down and those teams with huge cap space no longer have those huge amounts. I am not trying to be optimistic but nothing is ever as it seems with Jerry or Steven and nothing they say should be more than a grain of salt.

Just trying to make an observation about what still could happen because something will. You know that Jerry and Steven want the media and fans talking about the Cowboys in a positive way simply because it brings in much more revenue if they do. So we wait and watch, just like we do every year at this time.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
53e850aca21fa632806b209c77bf0724c4f3c0d4.gif