The Numbers That Really Matter

Reaction score
I know that, when it comes to a division game, you can pretty much throw all the stats out the window, but here are some I thought a few of you might find interesting. Got them all from NFL.com.
I know that when defenses & offenses are ranked, yards given up & yards gained are the all-in-all. I believe scoring is much more important, since that determines the outcome of games much moreso than yards.

So, without futher ado, here is how Dallas ranks on both sides of the ball-compared to Philly, naturally:

OFFENSE: POINTS SCORED PER GAME

DALLAS- 29.7 (2ND)
PHILLY- 29.2 (3RD)

DEFENSE: POINTS GIVEN UP

DALLAS- 16.0 (8TH)
PHILLY- 18.2 (14TH)
Dallas still beats the Iggles in the traditional sense, too. We are 5th in the league in total defense, at 260.3 yds/gm, giving up just 4.2 yds/play, while they are 21st with 338.8 yds/gm, and 4.8 yds/play. On offense, to be fair, the Iggles gain 426.5 yds/gm, (1st), while we gain 362 yds/gm, (6th).

I think the numbers will shake out a little more fairly once all teams have had their bye week, but it justs shows how close these two teams are. I think the game will come down to intensity & turnovers. Right now, we are at 0 ratio, while they are at +1 in turnovers.

If our offense plays like last year in Dallas, and plays every series like a 2-minute drill, then we will beat them. Our 'D' played attacking defense that entire game as well. If we go up there trying to be conservative, they will hand us our Stetsons.​

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Cogan;1067757 said:
I know that, when it comes to a division game, you can pretty much throw all the stats out the window, but here are some I thought a few of you might find interesting. Got them all from NFL.com.
I know that when defenses & offenses are ranked, yards given up & yards gained are the all-in-all. I believe scoring is much more important, since that determines the outcome of games much moreso than yards.

So, without futher ado, here is how Dallas ranks on both sides of the ball-compared to Philly, naturally:

OFFENSE: POINTS SCORED PER GAME​

DALLAS- 29.7 (2ND)
PHILLY- 29.2 (3RD)​

DEFENSE: POINTS GIVEN UP​

DALLAS- 16.0 (8TH)
PHILLY- 18.2 (14TH)​

Dallas still beats the Iggles in the traditional sense, too. We are 5th in the league in total defense, at 260.3 yds/gm, giving up just 4.2 yds/play, while they are 21st with 338.8 yds/gm, and 4.8 yds/play. On offense, to be fair, the Iggles gain 426.5 yds/gm, (1st), while we gain 362 yds/gm, (6th).​

I think the numbers will shake out a little more fairly once all teams have had their bye week, but it justs shows how close these two teams are. I think the game will come down to intensity & turnovers. Right now, we are at 0 ratio, while they are at +1 in turnovers.​

If our offense plays like last year in Dallas, and plays every series like a 2-minute drill, then we will beat them. Our 'D' played attacking defense that entire game as well. If we go up there trying to be conservative, they will hand us our Stetsons.​

Stats-wise we seem evenly matched - thanks for info...

but they will need 2 good corners per Glenn/Owens.... thats 4.

We got this!!!

bobtheflob

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the average rankings of each of our opponents too because Jags>Giants, Commanders>Packers, and Titans = 49ers.

ravidubey

Reaction score
The numbers that really matter are:

Dallas: 2-1
Philadelphia: 3-1

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Yeah, opponents mean alot in those numbers, especially with such a small sample size.

Point differential is huge, but it is so early in the season, it is hard to put alot of faith in it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
bobtheflob;1067771 said:
It would be interesting to see the average rankings of each of our opponents too because Jags>Giants, Commanders>Packers, and Titans = 49ers.

haha, i like how houston is just left completely off the radar

whcarm

Reaction score
Dallas has played the 3rd, 18th and 27th ranked offenses.

Phily has played the 2nd, 12th, 13th and 29th ranked offenses.

Not much of a difference there.

Dallas has played the 14th, 15th and 30th ranked defenses.

Phily has played the 24th, 27th, 31st and 32nd ranked defense.

Big difference there. No wonder their offense is ranked so high.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
whcarm;1068040 said:
Dallas has played the 3rd, 18th and 27th ranked offenses.

Phily has played the 2nd, 12th, 13th and 29th ranked offenses.

Not much of a difference there.

Dallas has played the 14th, 15th and 30th ranked defenses.

Phily has played the 24th, 27th, 31st and 32nd ranked defense.

Big difference there. No wonder their offense is ranked so high.

Good stats and comparison. This puts it in much more perspective.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
ravidubey;1067778 said:
The numbers that really matter are:

Dallas: 2-1
Philadelphia: 3-1

Nope. The number that really matters is

Dallas: 5
Philly: ZERO!

:trophy:

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
TwentyOne;1068142 said:
Nope. The number that really matters is

Dallas: 5
Philly: ZERO!

:trophy:

Which is irrelevant for this season and has no impact on the game.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
Throw these numbers out the window. Nothing matters this week. It is mano y mano. Stats are meaningless in today's NFL. The game is too unpredictable.

Especially when the game is filled with so much emotion, like this one.