The Off Season truly begins Today Feb 9th

Sandyf

Reaction score
Even though the Super Bowl is 2 days away, the awards and HOF have been announced so for 30 teams, it is time to make the tough decisions. Who goes, who stays, and what are the needs to address NOW.

Seems like we always hear virtually nothing about players and needs until after the awards are done. Probably do to the changing of HC and assistants around the league. It is the same for our Cowboys. Now we know that Mike Zimmer is going to be the DC and he will most likely have the guys he wants as assistant coaches done by Monday. We can expect some of the guys we currently have to stay like Al Harris and Aden Durde (unless he gets the DC job in Seattle). There will some new faces that Zimmer is familiar with his style of defense.

Will Zimmer run a 3-4 or 4-3 defense? Probably a lot of both based on his history and seeing the players we have, then it makes sense. We will most likely see him always on the sideline instead of the booth like Quinn. Have to see if that makes any difference. One thing though, Zimmer does know how to work with the Jones so I imagine that we will see a UFA MLB that Zimmer wants because that is a key to his defense and has always been. Wouldn't be surprised to him wanting a top UFA CB also if possible.

So speaking of the all in thing and McCarthy last year, don't expect Dak to be released or traded. McCarthy and Zimmer have to win and win at least 2 or 3 playoff games or we will be looking for a new staff next year. They will extend Dak which I know will piss off a lot of fans. The simple reason is that they have no choice especially if they are all in. Yes Dak is on the last year of his contract so in theory they could say no and not extend him but Dak can easily say that he isn't playing until he gets a new contract and although his cap number is $61 million, he actually only loses $26 million by sitting out. No skin off his back and means we are riding with Cooper Rush and Trey Lance and maybe a draft pick plus having to restructure 10 contracts to have any money in FA. The chances of of winning season at all would go down those tubes, unless Lance turns out to be a CJ Stoud suddenly.

From a business standpoint, doesn't make any sense and a losing season looms. So get ready for a bevy of threads after Dak gets extend somewhere north of $250 million and Lamb extended north of $130 million and possibly Parsons in the same range as Lamb. Then or before that, we will see restructures of Martin, Lawrence, Diggs, and Wilson. Then probably post June 1st cuts of Gallup, Cooks, and LVE and possibly Cooper Rush. That would give them somewhere around $40 million in spendable salary cap for FA and draft picks. Just the cruel facts of all in and coaches on their last contract year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I thought the new league year officially doesn't start till March so everyone's under contract even if it's expiring it doesn't expire till March?? So technically it starts in March in my opinion I mean maybe I'm wrong but I don't have to look it up on Google to remember most league year stuff starts in March...

I say let's play Mexican standoff with Prescott and let's see if he wants to hold out or what his demands are but I'd let him roll on this one year deal for a while until we absolutely are up against a wall with the cat like all the restructures done need to fit a guy in and our only choice is to extend Prescott but I'd rather have Mike McCarthy and Prescott on one year prove it deals if it's possible...

Ohh and by the way you're assumption or insinuation that the front office hasn't been since the day after the Green Bay game already making lists and checking them twice on who they possibly can keep who they're gonna restructure who they might go after in free agency but I'm telling you that you underrate the front office like most people around here they have 1200 employees and a lot of people working and I believe they have this on their mind quite often.... No need to wait till today or yesterday or two weeks from now they literally have this stuff is a year round job they have about 30% turnover on players every year they have big contracts coming up every year they have to make these decisions all the time....​
And yes I agree with the defensive coordinators gotta get his ducks in a row now figure out who he wants as far as staff but also more importantly what do we do with the 8 defensive free agents how are we gonna fill those spots with his types of players and do it quickly....​
They are not letting Brandon cooks walk Gallup yes but they can't afford to let him walk he's not making that much money and he's gonna even be better in year 2.. It's like I don't believe they're gonna let Gilmore and Lewis walk they'll choose between the two but you can't go so thin that you depend on the draft and free agency to fill holes when you have guys right here that can do the job...

Kwyn

Reaction score
I thought the new league year officially doesn't start till March so everyone's under contract even if it's expiring it doesn't expire till March?? So technically it starts in March in my opinion I mean maybe I'm wrong but I don't have to look it up on Google to remember most league year stuff starts in March...
This is correct. Nothing is really going to happen until March 5th which is the first day players can be tagged. March 11th they can contact free agents.

https://operations.nfl.com/gameday/nfl-schedule/2023-24-important-nfl-dates/

Aven8

Reaction score
My question is can they sign FA’s before Dak, and Lamb get done? I know they are over the cap, but can you get in the game and than once they are done it will allow to fit the FA’s you already signed?

The reason I ask this as Stephen will wait until the final hour to at least get Dak’s contract done…

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Who says Zimmer is gone if we stink? McCarthy could walk and Zimmer gets the pass and promotion. It's a total Jerry move. That's probably why we took more than a day to look for DC; we were looking for the next HC.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this whole thread is unreadable with these novels. cliff notes please?
We have a complete coaching staff
We need better players, how many of our own stay, how many FA's will be signed.
Do we have Salary cap space, but that is yet to be announced what the 2024 cap will be.

What will happen at QB and will Rowdy still be around (ok, I added that myself)

That is my best guess, because I have not read through all of it either, not yet. Just jumping around the threads skimming through them all.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Ohh and by the way you're assumption or insinuation that the front office hasn't been since the day after the Green Bay game already making lists and checking them twice on who they possibly can keep who they're gonna restructure who they might go after in free agency but I'm telling you that you underrate the front office like most people around here they have 1200 employees and a lot of people working and I believe they have this on their mind quite often.... No need to wait till today or yesterday or two weeks from now they literally have this stuff is a year round job they have about 30% turnover on players every year they have big contracts coming up every year they have to make these decisions all the time....​
Wait, we have 1200 employees in the front office?

More like in the entire organization, from marketing, media, security, facilities, legal counsel, office help, ticket office, janitorial, etc.

But good to know they are all working hard on personnel and salary cap issues. :laugh:

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
This is correct. Nothing is really going to happen until March 5th which is the first day players can be tagged. March 11th they can contact free agents.

https://operations.nfl.com/gameday/nfl-schedule/2023-24-important-nfl-dates/
We are waiting for the combine... that's next on the list... last week it was senior bowl...
Combine will come, that will give us some time to look at some of these prospects many of the draft nerds have on their board...then from there we can look at FA in the week coming after the Combine

dogberry

Reaction score
Wait, we have 1200 employees in the front office?

More like in the entire organization, from marketing, media, security, facilities, legal counsel, office help, ticket office, janitorial, etc.

But good to know they are all working hard on personnel and salary cap issues. :laugh:
That’s just the North Texas (Baja Oklahoma) Papa John’s locations.

shabazz

Reaction score
I say let's play Mexican standoff with Prescott and let's see if he wants to hold out
It's a good post but when the FO fails to yet again draft a QB in the first 3 rounds they have absolutely no leverage

They aren't playing Mexican Standoff.....they're playing Russian Roulette with no empty chambers

Unless we are to believe Trey Trey is a legitimate option, lol.

SellTheTeam

Reaction score
Even though the Super Bowl is 2 days away, the awards and HOF have been announced so for 30 teams, it is time to make the tough decisions. Who goes, who stays, and what are the needs to address NOW.

Seems like we always hear virtually nothing about players and needs until after the awards are done. Probably do to the changing of HC and assistants around the league. It is the same for our Cowboys. Now we know that Mike Zimmer is going to be the DC and he will most likely have the guys he wants as assistant coaches done by Monday. We can expect some of the guys we currently have to stay like Al Harris and Aden Durde (unless he gets the DC job in Seattle). There will some new faces that Zimmer is familiar with his style of defense.

Will Zimmer run a 3-4 or 4-3 defense? Probably a lot of both based on his history and seeing the players we have, then it makes sense. We will most likely see him always on the sideline instead of the booth like Quinn. Have to see if that makes any difference. One thing though, Zimmer does know how to work with the Jones so I imagine that we will see a UFA MLB that Zimmer wants because that is a key to his defense and has always been. Wouldn't be surprised to him wanting a top UFA CB also if possible.

So speaking of the all in thing and McCarthy last year, don't expect Dak to be released or traded. McCarthy and Zimmer have to win and win at least 2 or 3 playoff games or we will be looking for a new staff next year. They will extend Dak which I know will piss off a lot of fans. The simple reason is that they have no choice especially if they are all in. Yes Dak is on the last year of his contract so in theory they could say no and not extend him but Dak can easily say that he isn't playing until he gets a new contract and although his cap number is $61 million, he actually only loses $26 million by sitting out. No skin off his back and means we are riding with Cooper Rush and Trey Lance and maybe a draft pick plus having to restructure 10 contracts to have any money in FA. The chances of of winning season at all would go down those tubes, unless Lance turns out to be a CJ Stoud suddenly.

From a business standpoint, doesn't make any sense and a losing season looms. So get ready for a bevy of threads after Dak gets extend somewhere north of $250 million and Lamb extended north of $130 million and possibly Parsons in the same range as Lamb. Then or before that, we will see restructures of Martin, Lawrence, Diggs, and Wilson. Then probably post June 1st cuts of Gallup, Cooks, and LVE and possibly Cooper Rush. That would give them somewhere around $40 million in spendable salary cap for FA and draft picks. Just the cruel facts of all in and coaches on their last contract year.
Do not extend him… let Dak and McCarthy play out their contracts… if Dak sits in protest so be it…insanity is doing same thing over & over but expecting different results!!

Brax

Reaction score

If only Dak would say I’m not playing without a new deal that would be great. He wouldn’t because of the fines so that’s not happening and if you believe all in I have bridge for sale if you’re interested

MikeT22

Reaction score
That was the defence big bill wanted and Zimmer adapted..he can coach pretty much any style defense.
I know, but he only coached the 3-4 that one year when Parcells changed to it. Otherwise he's always been 4-3, but I guess some don't realize that.