***The Official CZ Mock Draft - Picks By Team***

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
terrible draft for the Boys- no help at all in the entire thing- winston is a 3rd rounder- a major reach in round 1.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Teague31 said:
terrible draft for the Boys- no help at all in the entire thing- winston is a 3rd rounder- a major reach in round 1.

Winston was decent at 31. My problem was dropping to 31 so early. I think you have to at least see who is on the board at 13-15 before you can gauge well enough if a trade down is going to be worth it. It seems like we are drafting for next year, when our off season is telling us that we are playing for this year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
Winston was decent at 31. My problem was dropping to 31 so early. I think you have to at least see who is on the board at 13-15 before you can gauge well enough if a trade down is going to be worth it. It seems like we are drafting for next year, when our off season is telling us that we are playing for this year.

I suppose the question becomes, do you believe we are at a point in our evolution that we can seriously contend for a championship. I don't mean "Anything can Happen in the playoffs" kinda thing. I mean, one of the top 4 to 6 teams or so. Personally, I don't believe that we are at that point just yet. Can certainly be wrong but I think 07 is the year we are seriously in contention. To me, the decision was not a bad one. Could be that if you wait to make that trade, it never happens. If the players you target on your draft board are sitting at the end of round one, start of round two, then it even makes some sense. I know that the players I targeted were in exactly that position when I drafted. I guess maybe I indentify with the move because I myself made the same kind of move for the Bengals.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I suppose the question becomes, do you believe we are at a point in our evolution that we can seriously contend for a championship. I don't mean "Anything can Happen in the playoffs" kinda thing. I mean, one of the top 4 to 6 teams or so. Personally, I don't believe that we are at that point just yet. Can certainly be wrong but I think 07 is the year we are seriously in contention. To me, the decision was not a bad one. Could be that if you wait to make that trade, it never happens. If the players you target on your draft board are sitting at the end of round one, start of round two, then it even makes some sense. I know that the players I targeted were in exactly that position when I drafted. I guess maybe I indentify with the move because I myself made the same kind of move for the Bengals.

You're one of the only ones who has supported me at all. Thanks.

If I had stayed put and drafted Carpenter, Colledge and Smith, people would have said I was stupid then too.

Cowboys board doing a draft so all the Cowboys type players were severely overrated (Manny at 7....:rolleyes: ) and gone earlier than they should have been.

Winston is rated as a first round player at this point. Anderson rated in the second and Harper in the third.

Media is saying if Dallas can move down for a third this year, they should do it. I moved down for a fourth this year AND a first next year. Everyone is also saying players 18-32 are about equal anyway. Maybe this illustrates that isn't the case.

Harper is rated higher than Smith in most boards I looked at. Solid against the run and the son of a coach. Both were big factors that I thought might convince Dallas to take him instead. Free safeties, again, went earlier than anticipated being a Cowboys board.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
junk said:

If I had stayed put and drafted Carpenter, Colledge and Smith, people would have said I was stupid then too.

Cowboys board doing a draft so all the Cowboys type players were severely overrated (Manny at 7....:rolleyes: ) and gone earlier than they should have been.

Winston is rated as a first round player at this point. Anderson rated in the second and Harper in the third.

Media is saying if Dallas can move down for a third this year, they should do it. I moved down for a fourth this year AND a first next year. Everyone is also saying players 18-32 are about equal anyway. Maybe this illustrates that isn't the case.

Harper is rated higher than Smith in most boards I looked at. Solid against the run and the son of a coach. Both were big factors that I thought might convince Dallas to take him instead. Free safeties, again, went earlier than anticipated being a Cowboys board.

I think you did a pretty decent job. I don't like the Winston pick but I can see why someone would.

I think snagging Seattle's first next year was huge. Seeing the recent success or lack thereof of Super Bowl losers I don't think anyone can say that pick is in the 25-32 range.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
junk said:

What can you do? It's like trying to take a big family out to dinner.

My youngest daughter likes this, my youngest son wants to go to a buffet, my oldest daughter hates what my youngest likes, my oldest son didn't want to go at all because he wanted to go hang with the girlfriend. My wife is ready to kill me for ever suggesting the whole thing. By the end of the night, she's ready to boot me out all together.

Best intentions sometimes meet with dire results and there aint a damn thing anybody can do about it.

;)

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I actually liked the Winston pick at #31. I didn't agree with Anderson in the second though; perhaps it's the ghost of Tony Dixon in my mind, but there were lots of players I'd rather have chosen at that pick than him.

Harper was a solid pick though I'm not sure he would have been my safety choice.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
I guess it just depends on what you value more, players that could be available at your spot, or getting those extra picks for the future. I dunno, I'm kind of torn. I think I'm in the "go for the win now mode" rather than wait til next year. Plus, it was seattle that we traded with, which means the pick would probably be a late one. Again, at the spot you were in to pick, I thought Winston was ok. He was decent value, and he filled a need. I just didn't agree with the early trade down and probably would have waited until closer to my pick. We may have gotten a chance to move up a little, and then if you wanted to move again, the opportunity would still be there. I know for a fact that when Justice was still there at 18, I was interested in a trade up from my round 2 #1 pick, especially if he dropped to 20. A trade from theTexans would have given you some good value.