The officiating was putrid.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dale said:
All in all, I just wish they wouldn't have called so much on both sides. Took away from the feel of the game.
Agreed but it didn't change the outcome of the game.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Dale said:
To me the refs just nit picked waaaay too much on both sides.

Obviously, as a Cowboys fan, I can count more Cowboys examples here -- the Colombo trip, the Ayodele late hit, the Ware late hit. But I'm sure the Commanders can name their fair share, too -- of course, the Flozell no-call was one of the few that wasn't called.

All in all, I just wish they wouldn't have called so much on both sides. Took away from the feel of the game.

That was partly my original point. I think fans are too quick sometimes to forgive nit-picky, bad officiating if it happens on both sides almost evenly. However, I'm with you. I think it makes the game harder tro watch, it defenitley slows it down, and affects the overall feel of the game. Even or not, bad offciating is bad officating - and I'm sure the league will be hearing from Gibbs aboout it. LOL

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Fasano call: legit
Rivera call: legit
Colombo call: legit, but nowhere near the play
Owens' low-blocking call: legit (but he slipped)
Okin: bullcrap; the runner was never down
Ware call: legit (helmet to helmet)

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Dale said:

Obviously, as a Cowboys fan, I can count more Cowboys examples here -- the Colombo trip, the Ayodele late hit, the Ware late hit. But I'm sure the Commanders can name their fair share, too -- of course, the Flozell no-call was one of the few that wasn't called.

The tripping seemed to be a good call. You can't fling your legs like that.

Ayodele's late hit was questionable. Lloyd was still trying for yardage, went down, and hadn't been touched yet when he was down. Ayodele didn't lay into him or anything. The called it late because they considered the previous contact to have caused Lloyd to go down, but it happened so long before he was down that it would be difficult for a player to assume that he was officially "down."

Ware's penalty was ticky-tack, but that's what the rule is. He let up from hitting Brunell, and he knocked down the pass, but his facemask made a little contact with Brunell's facemask.

And I thought the Flozell no-call was a good no-call. Flozell pretty much let Carter go after he got out of position. There are dozens of worse no-calls for holding in every game.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Fasano call: legit
Rivera call: legit
Colombo call: legit, but nowhere near the play
Owens' low-blocking call: legit (but he slipped)
Okin: bullcrap; the runner was never down
Ware call: legit (helmet to helmet)

LOL. Thanks for saving me from typing. Only slight disagreement was the Ayodele - when I first saw the play, I thought he was down by contact; apparently, so did the official.

And the explaination for the hold on Ellis was priceless - that official ought to be docked 1/3 his game check just for that.

calico

Reaction score
The NFL refs are a joke. They seem to get worse and worse every year.

That holding call that was negated was a riot. I can't even begin to count how many times I have seen a defender run through a hold, get a sack, and still have the penalty for holding stand.

Derinyar

Reaction score
calico said:
The NFL refs are a joke. They seem to get worse and worse every year.

That holding call that was negated was a riot. I can't even begin to count how many times I have seen a defender run through a hold, get a sack, and still have the penalty for holding stand.
Yes, a penalty is a penalty regardless of the out come of the play.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Cristoff said:
That was a first. I've never heard of a holding call being overturned because the player being held "worked through" the hold. I sat there completely dumbfounded after that one.
It's hard to really criticize the officials. It appears that they got most of the penalties that should have been called correct. However, sometimes I wish that they'd just let them play. Of course, when you know that Skeletor is going to complain about you to the media if something doesn't go his way, it might make you call a tighter game.
I'm listening to Norm & Co. on The Ticket right now and they seem to be equally dumbfounded too regarding the holding penalty that Ellis managed to "run through".

I would really like some clarification on this from a representative of the NFL officials. It just never made any sense.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Dale said:

If they'd of kept that up the game would've remained 17-10. I don't like the refs dictating the game.

Is there not an age limit for a ref? These guys looked like they had known Jesus personally. :)

Seven

Reaction score
RoyWilliams said:
They've been calling the tick tack personal fouls a lot more this year, so I guess we'll have to get used to it.

I kind of agree with you. However, I do think they try and settle the players down a little. Try to keep them from ripping each others heads off and the possibility the benches being cleared for an all out brawl. JMO.

Seven

Reaction score
Cristoff said:
That was a first. I've never heard of a holding call being overturned because the player being held "worked through" the hold. I sat there completely dumbfounded after that one.

I'm praying they go over that one on NFL network. I can't wait.

Grevus

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
I thought this was one of the most poorly officiated games I have ever seen. I don't think the officials were favoring one team over the other, although the offcials all but singlehandedly scored the FG for Washington by calling two back-to-back personal fouls on Dallas that were clean hits - which is what even got them into FG range. But the all time worst call was that holding penalty on washington that the officials later overturned, where Washibngton was called for hoding but the ref said it shouldn't be holding beciase the held player WORKED THROUGH THE HOLD????? What the CRAP was that call??? That was baltent hoding, but it doesn't count because the Commander svcks so bad that he can't illegally hold well enough??? :eek:

Will Gibbs be writing the league office about that one? :lmao2:

Thank you. I was hoping someone thought the same thing. This reason for this is becuase of Gibbs *****ing. The refs decided before this game started that they were going to call it tight, but come on, worked through the HOLD???? So, it's ok to hold a player if they can break out of it?

:banghead:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
I thought this was one of the most poorly officiated games I have ever seen. I don't think the officials were favoring one team over the other, although the offcials all but singlehandedly scored the FG for Washington by calling two back-to-back personal fouls on Dallas that were clean hits - which is what even got them into FG range. But the all time worst call was that holding penalty on washington that the officials later overturned, where Washibngton was called for hoding but the ref said it shouldn't be holding beciase the held player WORKED THROUGH THE HOLD????? What the CRAP was that call??? That was baltent hoding, but it doesn't count because the Commander svcks so bad that he can't illegally hold well enough??? :eek:

Will Gibbs be writing the league office about that one? :lmao2:

very early in the game the skins mugged a receiver to whom the ball was thrown, when I say mugged I mean celary before the ball arrived, and they didnt call it. The 2 personal fouls that got the 3 pts were questionable I agree. Overall it looked like the skins gameplan was to cheat as much as they can. Thank goodness it didnt work. Did you see the halftime chatter where Al Michaels was going on and on about the skins giving up 75 yards in penalties while all the time, right on the screen, it showed to Boys gave up 65, and he said not a word about that?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Most of the calls, as aggravating as they were, were good calls. But that holding was ridiculous. Like I said in chat: a hold is a hold even if you suck at cheating and it does not good.

wick

Reaction score
I have a problem with how roughing the passer is called. The human head is attached at the top of the body, so it is physically impossible not to lead with the head. Some amount of incidental contact needs to be allowed when there is no malicious intent. Ware obviously didn't use his helmet as a weapon to strike Brunell. In fact, Brunell seemed to initiate the contact by stepping into Ware during the pass attempt. I just don't see how Ware can avoid that contact and attempt to make a defensive play at the same time.

jay cee

Reaction score
Rack said:
I disagree. I think both teams were putrid (at the beginning anyway).

The only bad call I can think of is the tripping call on Columbo.

Edit: Oh and the Ayodele call was crap too.
Yeah that tripping call on Columbo was beyond stupid, the guy fell down. What is he supposed to do roll into a ball so no one trips over his legs.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
face it, officiating is extremely poor...it gets worse every year and the league seems to do nothing about it...the officials are making FAR too much of an impact on games and are FAR too inconsistent with the calls...virtually every game I watched yesterday had a number of poor calls or non calls...

as bad as Chris Simms played vs Atlanta, had the officials been better in that game Tampa may have won...Derrick Brooks ran back a pick 60+ yds for a TD only to have it wiped out by one of the most bogus block in the back calls ever...there were a number of other horrendous calls in that game too

the hold/non hold thing last night was just downright awful...that was probably worse than that one explanation we saw vs the Cardinals years ago when the officials said "the play didnt count because the Cardinals were not ready"

David

onetrickpony

Reaction score
ODawg said:
Ware held up on the call against Brunell....this isnt football guys

Not only did Ware hold up, but Brunell stepped into him. Brunell lowered his head and hit Ware in the face mask, but Ware got called for the foul.

I know no ref is even going to call a QB for something like that, but Ware played it exactly like the coachs teach it.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
But the all time worst call was that holding penalty on washington that the officials later overturned, where Washibngton was called for hoding but the ref said it shouldn't be holding beciase the held player WORKED THROUGH THE HOLD????? What the CRAP was that call??? That was baltent hoding, but it doesn't count because the Commander svcks so bad that he can't illegally hold well enough??? :eek:

They also just reminded me on The Ticket that Greg Ellis sacked Brunnell on that play. So what's up with that? Shouldn't he get his sack? That makes is wrong to the 10th power. Like they said on the show ... Greg could have had 3 sacks and everybody would have been talking about him along with Merriman today. Let's see what the Head of Referees have to say about this game.