The Old Cowboys are Back

Chuck 54

Reaction score
When I say the old Cowboys are back, I'm not even talking about the 13-3 Cowboys who won with lots of big offensive plays and a suspect defense and collapsed in December and the playoffs when teams turn to running the ball, stopping the run, and protecting against turnovers and big plays.

Last night the Cowboys, on the road and against a team that has looked very good most of the season, the Boys looked like the old championship teams. I hate to be redundant on everything others have said, but our defense had at least four 3 and outs, totally shut down the Commanders for most of the game after the opening drive, and more to my personal delight, ran the ball down the throats of the Commanders to seal the victory. I love a physical win that features defense and running more than all the big plays the passing game can sometimes produce because that's how teams win championships.

My Personal Highlights

1. I love the new ACE formation with Witten and Bennett in the backfield...when those two guys ran up the middle ahead of MBIII, they opened up some holes, took on the LBs, and allowed the OL to roll the DL out of the way without worrying about getting to the LBs. It was a thing of beauty, and the Skins had no answer for it...I think MBIII was even hard to find behind those two tall players.

Expect to see plenty more of that formation as they can crush the middle, but when a defense stacks inside to match it, you can run outside or off tackle to either side with a TE lead and a TE sealing the backside and picking off any blitzes, not to mention the passing options with either TE circling out against LBs or going in motion....I love it.

2. I've been critical of our fullback, but last night Cricket actually threw some nice blocks...he's not going to remind anyone of a true NFL throwback FB, but he got on the right guys and stayed on them to help the running game.

3. We can praise TNewman and the CBs and be thrilled with the press coverage all we want, but what made it really work was the pressure on the QB, and not our usual fourth quarter, sporadic, garbage pressure...we rushed, pressured, knocked down, and punished Jason Campbell the entire game. Press coverage only works if you bring consistent pressure, which we've been missing, because if you give receivers time to run longer patterns, cross the field, or make double moves, they will get open.

Great job by the maligned guys up front who were in the backfield pressing Campbell all game long...the best pressure I've seen by our team all year as it wasn't just Ware or blitzes by secondary players.

4. Our tackling on defense was much much better than it has been. Keith Davis really fired our defense up in the second half with two huge hits on Portis...Killa might be a liability in the passing game, but he came to play the run last night. Overall, the hitting was hard and punishing...Portis was running extremely hard...I recall one play where he was nailed on the tackle and was still about to pull away when nailed again...hard and dirty, and guys were wrapping up.

My fear was that the Skins would go to the short passing game and count on their quick receivers making us miss a ton of tackles since I'm sure that's what they've seen on film, but we tackled much better in the secondary.

There's plenty more to be thankful for: Romo's return, Bennett's TD catch, Tnew's interception, fourth down breakup, and overall game, Ratliff's sacks, MBIII's hard running, the OL's blocking, a win on the road, but the four above stand out for me.

My Concerns

1. Our punter, who has been consistently short after his first game.

2. Our kickoff coverage team....letting teams get out around the 40 repeatedly and always being one man from a huge return will cost us.

3. We now have 2 "gimme" games that we have to win. Hopefully, if our team has learned anything over the first half of the season, it is that any team can beat any other team any Sunday of the season. We have to come out with the same attitude and consistency against Seattle and SF and lock up those two victories.

There will be fans who will be cautious, and rightfully so, saying it's only one game...this team needs to prove it the rest of the season. I can't argue with that, but I truly believe this team is BACK, ready to get on a roll that will excite all of us. I don't say that because of the win over the Skins alone, but more over the nature of the win, the way we won it. Despite the opening drive by the Skins and the two first half turnovers and the penalties that stopped two second half potential drives, the Dallas Cowboys dominated a good Skins team last night in Washington. The score was close, but we dominated both lines of scrimmage and won with a style that was reminiscent of championship teams. That cannot be denied.:star:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Thanks Michael...I'm off to work now, but man, I couldn't sleep last night. I'm still so excited. I'd be happy if we'd won the game on a long pass play to TO, but you know, I was never truly excited about our earlier win over the Eagles because we won that game with big plays while actually being dominated by the Eagles.

The defense and that running game last night, when they knew we were running, well....it just pumped me up....I'm excited and hope the players learned something and can now sustain it.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I disagree with the statement 2 gimme games.

Mike martz has made our defense look terrible in the last few matchups against his offense.

and seattle will be a very very difficult game on turkey day.

This team has to continue playing good defense next week to set the tone for this season. IF we dont beat sf and seattle the skins game will be meaningless.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
theebs;2424943 said:

Mike martz has made our defense look terrible in the last few matchups against his offense.

This team has to continue playing good defense next week to set the tone for this season. IF we dont beat sf and seattle the skins game will be meaningless.

Seattle won't be as difficult as SF, IMO. Seattle is absolutely wracked with injuries, and had another ding up with Marcus Trufant yesterday.

SF, on the other hand, is playing with a fire in their belly, like the honeymoon period the Rams experienced when they first got rid of Linehan.

We would be remiss to count either game as a gimme, though.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
To coincide with our best defensive performance of the year is wayne's best post of the year. :bow: I agree with every word and what's most important is, if we lay an egg against the seahawks and whiners it will all be for naught.

If we take care of business we can jump right back in the driver's seat of our own destiny while hopefully peaking at the right time.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
We don't have any gimme games IMO. We have to play balls out from here on out.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2425053 said:

Yup, I'm hoping Romo's finger gets right along the way, since it clearly isn't healed yet.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I think Jerry needs to do to Wade what the Bills did. Tell him to get rid of Reid (Reed, Read? hah) or hit the road. (I prefer hit the road)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2425053 said:

Interesting choice of words there Yeager. :laugh2: That might be uncomfortable with the current chill in the air.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
theebs;2424943 said:

I agree 100%....that was my point....that there are no real gimme games, but if you look at Seattle and SF by their records and the direction, they are both bottom feeders and SHOULD be gimme games, the way the Rams should have been a gimme game. Hopefully our team has learned their lesson.

If we come out and play the way we did last night, those will wind up being easy wins.

I still think the ACE formation and letting the TE's lead up the middle together in front of Barber was genius, and I'm surprised the media isn't asking and writing about it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2424943 said:

theebs. Quit bringing up Martz. You freak me out every time you mention him. I get flashbacks to those DET games and get sick to my stomach. Dropping one to SF this weekend would be devastating

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I'm not as worried about Paulescue or however you spell it like some people are. His kicks are shorter than McBriars, but I bet his net is close to the same b/c he's not out-kicking the coverage.

I know some will argue that that doesn't happen, but I'm a firm believer that if you kick it 60 yards, the guy has a better chance to return it than if you kick it 40 and have guys waiting for the PR to catch it. Randle El really did nothing to mention last night (that I remember anyways).

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
wayne motley;2426610 said:
I still think the ACE formation and letting the TE's lead up the middle together in front of Barber was genius, and I'm surprised the media isn't asking and writing about it.
They aren't that smart... And even if they were, they think the public would have no interest in what they perceive as boring minutiae.

And BTW, I couldn't sleep, either. I was up until 4:30 and just tried to survive work today. It was that satisfying a win.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Wayne...Great Post. Just reading it gave me that fire in the belly...and it was'nt indigestion..:)

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
wayne motley;2424922 said:
3. We can praise TNewman and the CBs and be thrilled with the press coverage all we want, but what made it really work was the pressure on the QB, and not our usual fourth quarter, sporadic, garbage pressure...we rushed, pressured, knocked down, and punished Jason Campbell the entire game. Press coverage only works if you bring consistent pressure, which we've been missing, because if you give receivers time to run longer patterns, cross the field, or make double moves, they will get open.

We had three sacks and were credited with four other QB hits last night. That's a pretty average night for our pass rush. The only difference, really, was that a couple of the sacks came in key situations. There were times when Campbell had plenty of time in the pocket but still couldn't complete the pass. We had a good pass rush, but it wasn't much better than usual (if at all), and probably not our best of the season, either.

The coverage, on the other hand, clearly was as good as or better than anything else we've had this season. Our cornerbacks had four passes defended last night (three of them on third or fourth down) after combining for 10 in the first nine games. And the Commanders had only one catch on a pass thrown more than 10 yards downfield.

Mysterio

Benched
Reaction score
wayne motley;2424922 said:
My Personal Highlights

1. I love the new ACE formation with Witten and Bennett in the backfield...

It's called a full house formation............:lmao2:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2426720 said:
We had three sacks and were credited with four other QB hits last night. That's a pretty average night for our pass rush. The only difference, really, was that a couple of the sacks came in key situations. There were times when Campbell had plenty of time in the pocket but still couldn't complete the pass. We had a good pass rush, but it wasn't much better than usual (if at all), and probably not our best of the season, either.

The coverage, on the other hand, clearly was as good as or better than anything else we've had this season. Our cornerbacks had four passes defended last night (three of them on third or fourth down) after combining for 10 in the first nine games. And the Commanders had only one catch on a pass thrown more than 10 yards downfield.

WEll, I won't dispute that the stats were average because you usually have all the facts, but you should be reading all the Zorn quotes in the VA papers. All he talks about is that they could have done more downfield but that they couldn't get us blocked...he said he had to resort to calling the quick short plays in order "to keep our QB upright." Whether the stats actually show or not, it seemed to me and to Zorn that his QB had people either hitting him or pressuring him most of the night.

I wasn't taking anything away from the secondary, but to me that was the most consistent pressure on the QB I've seen all year.