The One Area the Cowboys Must Improve the Most

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The lack of takeaways is what kept this team from advancing to and in the postseason for years now. The issue has spanned multiple coaches. I don’t know what the reason for it is, but it’s killed us.

plasticman

Reaction score
Bend but don't break doesn't get you turnovers, we've been weak on the dline for a long long time, didn't believe in blitzing or confusing QBs, and our CB technique has been to keep eyes on the receiver.

That didn't get us turnovers. What a shock.

When was the last time we paid a safety 5mil+? Maybe Sensabaugh in 2012? We did spend a 1st trying to make Byron a FS. Otherwise, it's been a lot of Heath and Church. Beside the Byron attempt, we've been cheaping out on safety for a long time.
They cheaped out on both a safety and a cornerback in 1981, they were both undrafted rookies. They don't make much of a first contract.

I'm not saying we should go out and buy a veteran safety with great past accomplishments. I'm saying they should find the these guys in the draft, even rookie free agency. They should train them up. Doesn't the vast majority of fans believe the Cowboys now have a superior coaching staff? What do superior coaching staffs do?

Forget the number of INT's in 1981, three Cowboy DB's were top ten in interceptions. Again, two of them were undrafted rookies. the other was a 9th round draft choice from in his 3rd season.

glimmerman

Reaction score
ST will improve this season and will help. Our Defense should look better but it’s a new system and will be growing pains. Hoping the CB coach will teach them to play the ball some. Get some pressure up the middle and that will help. It’s been a long time since we have had DT’s that provided a consistent push up the middle.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They cheaped out on both a safety and a cornerback in 1981, they were both undrafted rookies. They don't make much of a first contract.

I'm not saying we should go out and buy a veteran safety with great past accomplishments. I'm saying they should find the these guys in the draft, even rookie free agency. They should train them up. Doesn't the vast majority of fans believe the Cowboys now have a superior coaching staff? What do superior coaching staffs do?

Forget the number of INT's in 1981, three Cowboy DB's were top ten in interceptions. Again, two of them were undrafted rookies. the other was a 9th round draft choice from in his 3rd season.

Sometimes you hit on undrafted guys. Hoping it happens all the time is not a winning strategy, nor is planning on taking UDFAs and turning them into great players.

plasticman

Reaction score
Sometimes you hit on undrafted guys. Hoping it happens all the time is not a winning strategy, nor is planning on taking UDFAs and turning them into great players.
Nor is overpaying veterans that have already peaked and are on the decline.

Five of the Cowboys top ten all time interceptors were undrafted free agents.

I'm not saying they had to rely entirely on undrafted free agents. As you say, sometimes you hit on them. If they hit on one or two over a course of 2-3 years, that would be good enough. The same applies for lower picks......like Reggie Robinson.

We know we have a good scouting department and we are led to believe that we have drastically upgraded our coaching. The Cowboy management obviously places a higher priority on offense so I would think that this type of success would be a must.

Reactions: BAT

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Better coaching generates more opportunities for interceptions. We've got the first part of that equation accomplished. Let's hope the rest of that equation is as intrinsic as I just suggested it is.
More balanced defense generates more opportunities for interceptions.
If you have ever played the position, having sub par safety support eliminates those opportunities.
Hard to make a pick if your back is always facing the QB.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Middle D especially vs the run....I’m not big on research and stats but my feeble brain seem to remember teams busting our sand running the ball up the gut...OG style
Hopefully the new beef in the middle will solve that bangin issue.....

This is passing league now, having top 10 passing D is more critical.

Cowboys need to sign EDGE Jadaveon Clowney and trade for SS Jamal Adams.

This will generate more turnovers (INTs, FF and FR) that OP has correctly identified as lacking and necessary.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/ga...remaining-free-agents-travis-frederick-money/

Clowney is also younger than both Aldon and Randy.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I'm still a believer in thinking pressure up the middle generates interceptions.
To me, they have vastly improved the talent level on the DLine.

Special Teams will be such an improvement this year because, with this unit,
coaching shows up. Last year, we had some office guy running this part of the game.

I'm expecting game changing plays throughout the season from Special Teams.
Punts downed at the one, blocked kicks, improved open-field tackling, fakes and
maybe even a TD or two.