The only real way to improve focus and discipline

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
is to emphasize intelligence in the draft above all else. There is no way a coach can completely command discipline. Parcells was the closest coach that could single-handedly achieve that but even he failed eventually. We need to change our draft philosophy and mimic the Patriots. They draft smart players with SELF-DISCIPLINE at the expense of athleticism and talent. Some of you will use Moss and Stallworth to contradict what I said but those guys adopted the Patriots philosophy of discipline and smart play because the team philosophy espouses that so they couldn't just take plays off or not work out. I don't think Bellichek does anything special to avoid careless mistakes on his team. But I think he does make great effort to draft intelligent players who have the self discipline to not committ silly penalties on the field. These same players learn schemes faster as well. If you draft good guys who inherantly have a lot of these intagibles, I think we will avoid some of these mistakes.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1908243 said:
is to emphasize intelligence in the draft above all else. There is no way a coach can completely command discipline. Parcells was the closest coach that could single-handedly achieve that but even he failed eventually. We need to change our draft philosophy and mimic the Patriots. They draft smart players with SELF-DISCIPLINE at the expense of athleticism and talent. Some of you will use Moss and Stallworth to contradict what I said but those guys adopted the Patriots philosophy of discipline and smart play because the team philosophy espouses that so they couldn't just take plays off or not work out. I don't think Bellichek does anything special to avoid careless mistakes on his team. But I think he does make great effort to draft intelligent players who have the self discipline to not committ silly penalties on the field. These same players learn schemes faster as well. If you draft good guys who inherantly have a lot of these intagibles, I think we will avoid some of these mistakes.

I couldn't agree more which is why these players are very intrigiung to me in the draft:

Antoine Cason (cb)
Rashard Mendenhall (this guy is going to win the ROY next year if he gets into the right situation)
Craig Steltz (SS)
Tracy Porter (cb)
Ben Moffitt (ILB)
Eddie Royal (wr)
Jameel McClain (OLB)
T.C Ostrander (qb)
Dantrell Savage (rb)
Cliff Avril (olb)
Frank Okam (dt)

links18

Reaction score

Harrison and Seau are both roided out and both would cost their team dearly with their dirty cheap-shot play if they weren't playing for NE.....

Boysboy

Reaction score

No offense, but it's amazing how alot of Zoners, including myself, start making up at least 1000 different posts when we lose.

Yah-it's painful when we lose, especially making another early exit in the playoffs, but thinking that bringing in Bill Belichick, or even digging up Tom Landry from the grave, is HARDLY a *quick fix*.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
links18;1908273 said:
Harrison and Seau are both roided out and both would cost their team dearly with their dirty cheap-shot play if they weren't playing for NE.....

Seau is an intelligent player and he always has been. Even during his hey day, he wasn't a sack machine but he could digest plays quickly and was all over the field.

Harrison is a thug, I agree but he is also underrated as being a smart player. He has a lot of attitude but he is really good.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Boysboy;1908281 said:
No offense, but it's amazing how alot of Zoners, including myself, start making up at least 1000 different posts when we lose.

Yah-it's painful when we lose, especially making another early exit in the playoffs, but thinking that bringing in Bill Belichick, or even digging up Tom Landry from the grave, is HARDLY a *quick fix*.

I've always believed this but like you and so many fans, I've been tempted by the guy who runs a 4.3 or is some high first round athlete like Adrian Peterson etc. However, the reality is the smart guys that are not so flashy are the ones we need to draft. It's not easy or quick to win that way but it's the philosophy we need to adopt.

Boysboy

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1908319 said:
I've always believed this but like you and so many fans, I've been tempted by the guy who runs a 4.3 or is some high first round athlete like Adrian Peterson etc. However, the reality is the smart guys that are not so flashy are the ones we need to draft. It's not easy or quick to win that way but it's the philosophy we need to adopt.

FWIW-Logan Mangkins, Vince Wilfork, Asante Samuels, and even Brandon Merriwether are STUDS-they're not just "smart guys", but they're pretty "flashy" too.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Didn't Parcells say he was only interested in drafting smart players? Bobby Carpenter is supposed to be pretty smart.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Sasquatch;1908324 said:
Didn't Parcells say he was only interested in drafting smart players? Bobby Carpenter is supposed to be pretty smart.

Well supposedly, Sean Payton got alot of "smart players" in New Orleans(i.e. Mark Simoneau, Scott Shanle-a player Parcells raved about, Hollis Thomas, Jason David, etc)-but the problem is that they all SUCK.

Just b/c [such and such] is a mathematics machine doesn't mean he knows how to play football.:bang2: