The percentage of a QB's game-winning drives where he had to put the team ahead multiple times

CWR

Reaction score
"Game-winning" drives by definition cannot be "multiple drives" so this statistic is pointless.

A "game-winning" drive is a drive that wins the game, so the percentage of "multiple times" is 0% for any quarterback with a game-winning drive because there are never any multiple times.

A game-winning drive does NOT include every drive that gets a lead at some point in the fourth quarter, which is likely what they are defining as a "game-winning drive".

I get what they were going for and maybe they could have worded it more accurately, but if they had described what they actually are saying it would have been less click-baity.
"Go ahead score" would've been better.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
"Game-winning" drives by definition cannot be "multiple drives" so this statistic is pointless.

A "game-winning" drive is a drive that wins the game, so the percentage of "multiple times" is 0% for any quarterback with a game-winning drive because there are never any multiple times.

A game-winning drive does NOT include every drive that gets a lead at some point in the fourth quarter, which is likely what they are defining as a "game-winning drive".

I get what they were going for and maybe they could have worded it more accurately, but if they had described what they actually are saying it would have been less click-baity.
(MGWD), which is defined as multiple go-ahead drives (but also must include the final game-winning drive).

Yeah, its a little wonky the way the article presents it basically saying any drive in the 4th quarter or overtime in which an offensive score puts your team ahead and you win the game.

In other words, lets say you drive in the 4th quarter you are down 2 and you get a FG that puts you ahead by 1......that is considered a go-ahead drive, but only counts as a "game winning drive" if your team holds on and wins the game, even though the game did not end on that particular drive. Yeah, its kinda confusing.

The gist of the rankings are that Dak is #2 in the NFL behind Mahommes in the number of drives in the 4th quarter or overtime that puts his team ahead for good............kinda ironic considering how many posters tell me everyday Dak is trash:rolleyes:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If the defense and run game is as bad as you say, can you explain how they managed 3 straight 12-5 seasons? I guess they only suck in the playoffs, right?
I thought you just said regular season doesnt mean jack?

Funny how that works, the run game and defense is good because of 3 straight 12-5 seasons but when the topic is Dak, you say "provide me similar list using playoff games, these regular season stats dont matter"

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
(MGWD), which is defined as multiple go-ahead drives (but also must include the final game-winning drive).

Yeah, its a little wonky the way the article presents it basically saying any drive in the 4th quarter or overtime in which an offensive score puts your team ahead and you win the game.

In other words, lets say you drive in the 4th quarter you are down 2 and you get a FG that puts you ahead by 1......that is considered a go-ahead drive, but only counts as a "game winning drive" if your team holds on and wins the game, even though the game did not end on that particular drive. Yeah, its kinda confusing.

The gist of the rankings are that Dak is #2 in the NFL behind Mahommes in the number of drives in the 4th quarter or overtime that puts his team ahead for good............kinda ironic considering how many posters tell me everyday Dak is trash:rolleyes:
In the playoffs Dak is trash. Go ahead and refute that.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I thought you just said regular season doesnt mean jack?

Funny how that works, the run game and defense is good because of 3 straight 12-5 seasons but when the topic is Dak, you say "provide me similar list using playoff games, these regular season stats dont matter"
The regular season does not mean jack if it never leads to playoff success. And he wasn't using that hypocritically as you try to infer. He was merely showing how flawed the logic is in trying to excuse the worst playoff QB of all time.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The regular season does not mean jack if it never leads to playoff success. And he wasn't using that hypocritically as you try to infer. He was merely showing how flawed the logic is in trying to excuse the worst playoff QB of all time.
The Texans are calling.

Get going...

Yobwocs

Reaction score
If the regular season doesn't mean jack for the quarterback, then it doesn't mean jack for anyone...the running game, defense, or the offensive line - all prove themselves to be lackluster come playoff time.

plymkr

Reaction score

I think a better way to word this would have been “4th qtr lead changes in games won by QB”. The first thought I had was how can you have multiple game winning drives in one game?

As far as Dak goes, in this season I remember 3 games that he came through with multiple drives to change the lead in the 4th. Seattle, San Diego and Detroit. That’s off the top of my head without googling it. Dak did deliver in those games. That 90+ yarder against Detroit might be my favorite offensive play of ‘23. My second favorite was Ferguson’s catch on Adams against Seattle. That was a money play by Dak and Ferguson.

Anyway I do agree they misworded the stat.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Dak is 6th ranked QB in games played north of mason dixon, in 4:00 PM or later games on grass, against opposite conference team, weaing home jersey colors on the road with 8:38 left in the game!!!

seriously, this creating a needle hole to post a meaningless stat is gone crazy....there is another thread on QBs who are 31 or older and one for last 7 minutes of the game....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

ROFL. Stop being goofy. You know exactly what this means, and it wasn't written by a Dak or even Cowboys fan.
It is an ode to Pat Mahomes.....

It means he has to come from behind MULTIPLE times to get the WIN.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
That was mostly Dak. He's the type of QB that wipes most of the below average teams away, but when it's the above average....he needs the rest of the team to step up - and theyre unable to. But truthfully, we play well against teams in the playoffs that aren't the Niners and Packers.
Yep, those 19 and 22 pts the niners put up were insurmountable. Nevermind the interceptions from Dak contributing to those numbers either.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Just shooting from the hip, but my first thought when I read this is that it's more of an indictment of our porous defense than anything. In any event, good stat for Dak.

But...I wonder if those cheering this see Herbert at 3 and Hurts at 5. Most of you believe those two are vastly overrated. So does that diminish the validity of a list such as this? I don't know, just food for thought.

Can't wait for news to start trickling in from camps as I'm feelin' these lists have pretty much run their offseason course. Here's to hoping for news from the field - can't wait.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Just shooting from the hip, but my first thought when I read this is that it's more of an indictment of our porous defense than anything.
Not really though. We can't know just from the cumulative stats. What if Dallas took the lead early in the 4th & the D held the rest of the way?

What if the D held the opponent to 3 when the took the lead so all we needed was a FG to retake the lead?