The Post Thanksgiving Slide & The Task Ahead

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The last time we won a Playoff game was a 40-15 Wildcard round over the Minnesota Vikings after the 1996 season. The next week we lost to the Carolina Panthers. The 1996 season was also the last time we played decently Post Thanksgiving. Here's a recap starting in 1997. I am not including the Thanksgiving Day games. Just the post Thanksgiving results.

1997...0-3 finish...Cowboys a 6-10 team
12/8/97…Lost vs. Carolina Panthers, 13-23
12/14/97…Lost @ Cincinnati Bengals, 24-31
12/21/97…Lost vs. New York Giants, 7-20The Panthers were 7-9, the Bengals 7-9, and the Giants 10-5-1. Opponents winning % .511. No playoffs.

1998...2-2
finish...Cowboys a 10-6 team
12/6/98…Lost @ New Orleans Saints, 3-22
12/13/98…Lost @ Kansas City Chiefs, 17-20
12/20/98…Won vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 13-9
12/27/98…Won vs. Washington Commanders, 23-7

The Saints were 6-10, the Chiefs 7-9, the Eagles 3-13, and the Commanders 6-10. Opponents winning % .344. Lost in the Wildcard round of the playoffs to Arizona. 2nd straight post season loss. It is one of only 2 post season wins in that franchise's 88 year History. The other was the 1947 NFL Championship.

1999...2-3 finish...Cowboys an 8-8 team
12/5/99…Lost @ New England Patriots, 6-13
12/12/99…Won vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 20-10
12/19/99…Lost vs. New York Jets, 21-22
12/24/99…Lost @ New Orleans Saints, 24-31
1/2/00…Won vs. New York Giants, 26-18

The Patriots were 8-8, the Eagles 5-11, the Jets 8-8, the Saints 3-13, and the Giants 7-9. Opponents winning % .388. Lost in the Wildcard round of the playoffs to the Vikings. 3rd straight post season loss.

2000...1-3 finish...Cowboys a 5-11 team
12/3/00…Lost @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 7-27
12/10/00…Won vs. Washington Commanders, 32-13
12/17/00…Lost vs. New York Giants, 13-17
12/25/00…Lost @ Tennessee Titans, 0-31

The Bucs were 10-6, the Skins 8-8, the Giants 12-4, and the Titans 13-3. Opponents winning % .672.

2001...3-3 finish...Cowboys a 5-11 team

12/2/01…Won @ Washington Commanders, 20-14
12/9/01…Won vs. New York Giants, 20-13
12/16/01…Lost @ Seattle Seahawks, 3-29
12/23/01…Lost @ Arizona Cardinals, 10-17
12/30/01…Won vs. San Francisco 49ers, 27-21
1/6/02…Lost @ Detroit Lions, 10-15

The Skins were 8-8, the Giants 7-9, the Seahawks 9-7, the Cardinals 7-9, the 49ers 12-4, and the Lions 2-14. Opponents winning % .469.

2002...0-4 finish...Cowboys a 5-11 team
12/8/02…Lost vs. San Francisco 49ers, 27-31
12/15/02…Lost @ New York Giants, 7-37
12/21/02…Lost vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 3-27
12/29/02…Lost @ Washington Commanders, 14-20

The 49ers were 10-6, the Giants 10-6, the Eagles 12-4, and the Skins 7-9. Opponents winning % .609.

2003...2-2 finish...Cowboys a 10-6 team
12/7/03…Lost @ Philadelphia Eagles, 10-36
12/14/03…Won @ Washington Commanders, 27-0
12/21/03…Won vs. New York Giants, 19-3
12/28/03…Lost @ New Orleans Saints, 7-13

The Eagles were 12-4, the Skins 5-11, the Giants 4-12, and the Saints 8-8. Opponents winning % .453. Lost in the Wildcard round of the playoffs to the Panthers. 4th straight post season loss.

2004...2-3 finish...Cowboys a 6-10 team
12/6/04…Won @ Seattle Seahawks, 43-39
12/12/04…Lost vs. New Orleans Saints, 13-27
12/19/04…Lost @ Philadelphia Eagles, 7-12
12/26/04…Won vs. Washington Commanders, 13-10
1/2/05…Lost @ New York Giants, 24-28

The Seahawks were 9-7, the Saints 8-8, the Eagles 13-3, the Skins 6-10, and the Giants 6-10. Opponents winning % .525.

2005...2-3 finish...Cowboys a 9-7 team
12/4/05…Lost @ New York Giants, 10-17
12/11/05…Won vs. Kansas City Chiefs, 31-28
12/18/05…Lost @ Washington Commanders, 7-35
12/24/05…Won @ Carolina Panthers, 24-20
1/1/06…Lost vs. St. Louis Rams, 10-20

The Giants were 11-5, the Chiefs 10-6, the Skins 10-6, the Panthers 11-5, and the Rams 6-10. Opponents winning % .600.

2006...2-3 finish...Cowboys a 9-7 team

12/3/06...Won @ New York Giants, 23-20
12/10/06...Lost vs. New Orleans Saints, 17-42
12/16/06...Won @ Atlanta Falcons, 38-28
12/25/06...Lost vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 7-23
12/31/06...Lost vs. Detroit Lions, 31-39

The Giants were 8-8, the Saints 10-6, the Falcons 7-9, the Eagles 10-6, and the Lions 3-13. Opponents winning % .475. Lost in the Wildcard round of the playoffs to the Seahawks. 5th straight post season loss.

2007...3-2 finish...Cowboys a 13-3 team
11/29/07...Won vs. Green Bay Packers, 37-27
12/9/07...Won @ Detroit Lions, 28-27
12/16/07...Lost vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 6-10
12/22/07...Won @ Carolina Panthers, 20-13
12/30/07...Lost @ Washington Commanders, 6-27

The Packers were 13-3, the Lions 7-9, the Eagles 8-8, the Panthers 7-9, and the Skins 9-7. Opponents winning % .550. Lost in the Divisional round of the playoffs to the Giants. 6th straight post season loss.

Now, let's focus on the task ahead.

2008...Cowboys an 8-4 team
12/7/08...@ Pittsburgh Steelers, 9-3 team
12/14/08...vs. New York Giants, 11-1 team
12/21/08...vs. Baltimore Ravens, 8-4 team
12/28/08...@ Philadelphia Eagles, 6-5-1 team

Opponents winning % .723. We're currently out of the playoffs but are the 7th seed. The teams we are battling for one of the two Wildcard spots are...

Carolina Panthers. 9-3 team. Remaining schedule...
Buccaneers (9-3)
Broncos (7-5)
@ Giants (11-1)
@ Saints (6-6)

Opponents winning % .688. If they win the NFC South it actually helps us. Their schedule is nearly as brutal as ours though. This week's game against Tampa is critical. I will discuss that below.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 9-3 team. Remaining schedule...
@ Pathers (9-3)
@ Falcons (8-4)
Chargers (4-8)
Raiders (3-9)

Opponents winning % .500. Tampa is vulnerable on the road where they are 3-3. We hold the tie breaker over them by virtue of our win. So we need them to finish tied with us or behind us. They are a game ahead as of now. The lead the NFC South by virtue of winning the earlier matchup with Carolina. If Tampa wins the NFC South we are in a bit of trouble. There would be no room for error because it would not matter if we are tied with them or not. It wouldn't even matter if we had a better record than them.

Atlanta Falcons. 8-4 team. Remaining schedule...
@ Saints (6-6)
Buccaneers (9-3)
@ Vikings (7-5)
Rams (2-10)

Opponents winning % .500. Two of the four teams they have left to face just had a slew of critical players suspended by the NFL. The Rams are putrid. This team is a very real threat to be one of the 2 Wildcard teams.

Washington Commanders. 7-5 team. Remaining schedule...
@ Ravens (8-4)
@ Bengals (1-10-1)
Eagles (6-5-1)
@ 49ers (4-8)

Opponents winning % .413. If the Cowboys stumble at all they are in position to capitalize. Unless our stumbles are against the Steelers of Ravens. They need us to lose to either the Giants or Eagles while they beat the Eagles. 3 of their remaining games are on the road. If they lose this week, and we win, it makes things a lot easier.

I know all of us would like to see the Cowboys win out. Erase the Post Thanksgiving Day fade forever. The remaining schedule makes that a very tough task to accomplish. If they did it, I think you'd have to call it the best finish to our regular season ever. I think it would cement Tony Romo as a legit MVP candidate. Of course, we still need to make sure to get it done in the playoffs.

Someone will always ask. Can we still win the Division? Technically we can, but it is so improbable that is is laughable to even ask. The Giants would need to lose all 4 games and we would have to win all 4. Not going to happen.

It's one hell of a mountain to climb just to make it.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
It seems pretty simple to me Hos.

We keep winning, we'll get in.

And if we can't keep winning, we probably don't deserve to be in there anyway.

I'm not worried. If this team truly has the talent we think it does.... they'll keep winning and we'll be in.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Vintage;2459058 said:

I'm not worried. If this team truly has the talent we think it does.... they'll keep winning and we'll be in.
That is pretty much it in a nutshell.

12-4 we are in.
11-5 we need some help.
10-6 and we need a freaking miracle. I think it is impossible.

CoCo

Reaction score
Vintage;2459058 said:

I'll reserve judgment on whether we deserve to be in til I see who actually gets in and how they did so.

But more important I think is that we likely need to storm into the playoffs by winning at least 3 of these next 4 to have a realistic chance to play strong dominant playoff football when it counts.

If we end up 12-4, look out.

If we end-up 11-5, I'll feel very bad about what might have been should we lose a playoff spot to a tie-breaker.

If we end up 10-6 or worse, its almost immaterial whether we get in because I doubt we can then suddenly become a serious force in the playoffs. That said, I'd still want to be there in case we could catch lightning in a bottle. But I wouldn't say its deserved.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
If the Boyz win this coming game against the Steelers I will relax a little bit and feel alot more comfortable that the Cowboys will get in. Two home games and then the Eagles on the road which I think is not as hard as it used to be. Here's to hoping...but?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I would like to add one thing.

In each of romos seasons starting, we have had a game where we were playing a team That had all the ability to beat us and bad, most people wanted us to lose and we had to hear about that team all week.

06 it was indy. We played our best defensive game of the year and we beat them.

Last year it was green bay. We played our best offensive half of the year and beat them up. We also last year had to go to ny when everyone said we couldnt handle their defense and their running game. We jumped out early and held on with our defense late to win the game.

This year, Its the pittsburgh and the NY game. They just so happen to be in december. I think it is going to bring out the best in our team. It is going to be a struggle but I expect Dallas to play well each of the next two weeks.

I dont know if we will make the playoffs or if we do how far we will go, I just happen to think we are going to get the best effort from this team starting sunday and going forward.

Since romo has been here, people have been kind of labeling us as something after we played those big games. And it seems the focus has been lost a little after those games. This year they seem to be coming at the best time.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I'm not buying into the December stuff.

Everything up until Parcells, IMO, doesn't count. The team stunk back then...and with the exception of a few players, none of these guys were on the roster back then.

So, let's move to the Parcells era. I dismiss the first two seasons. The first year was a fluke for this team to even be IN the playoffs. No one thought they had a chance vs the Panthers. The next season, 6-10, again, we stunk.

So, the way I see it, there are three seasons to look at; the last two under Parcells and last year.

2005- four of the five teams we played finished with better records and three of the games were on the road...and the QB was, Bledsoe. 'nuff said. We weren't winning anything with him as the QB.

2006- The Seattle game in the playoffs is the one everyone looks at. That loss was on the coaching staff. The Seahawks had guys playing in the secondary who couldn't make the roster of some flag football teams that I know. Yet, we did nothing to challenge their secondary. ALSO, Romo's fumble was key. So, IMO, the worst that can be said is that he was a lousy holder. AND let's not forget, that was his first season as a starter (only started at the half way point)...his first playoff game...and it was on the road. If the Seahawk game was won, there's no discussion about December's failures.

2007- THIS one bugs me. This team blew a GREAT opportunity. Zero urgency down the stretch. I feel a bit better that we lost to the Giants who were clearly on a roll...but the end of 2007 is a huge concern for me. That said, the conditions this year are different. The problem with 2007 is that this team had everything locked up, lost focus...and sleep walked through the last few weeks...That's not the case this year. The sense of urgency doesn't have to be manufactured this year. It's real.

So that's my take and I'm sticking to it. :D

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Still a lot of losses to go around. We beat Pittsburg, and I think this team will be oozing with confidence.

We cheer for the Panthers to beat the Bucs, Bucs to beat the Falcons the following week. And the Flacons to drop 2 of their 3 against the Saints, Bucs, and Vikings.

After this Sunday, things could look a lot brighter than we thought - pending we win the biggest regular season game this team has had in quite some time.

Like Burnett said in his blog, Pressure makes diamonds.

This might be what the doctor ordered for a team looking to get on a roll before the tournament.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
That is it; win and you're in. We have all talked about taking the next step and the next step is winning in December. If we are not ready to win in December, we will keep lossing in January.

If any fan wants us to start proving our salt in January, then this December test is exactly what we want. No Seattles or San Frans'. We have playoff competition now and it is great.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm certainly hoping, but wins against San Francisco and Seattle are much different from wins against Pittsburgh and the NY Giants.

This team has done a lot to erode my own confidence in them but a win against the Steelers would go a long way toward restoring it.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Juke99;2459124 said:
I'm not buying into the December stuff.

Everything up until Parcells, IMO, doesn't count. The team stunk back then...and with the exception of a few players, none of these guys were on the roster back then.

So, let's move to the Parcells era. I dismiss the first two seasons. The first year was a fluke for this team to even be IN the playoffs. No one thought they had a chance vs the Panthers. The next season, 6-10, again, we stunk.

So, the way I see it, there are three seasons to look at; the last two under Parcells and last year.

2005- four of the five teams we played finished with better records and three of the games were on the road...and the QB was, Bledsoe. 'nuff said. We weren't winning anything with him as the QB.

2006- The Seattle game in the playoffs is the one everyone looks at. That loss was on the coaching staff. The Seahawks had guys playing in the secondary who couldn't make the roster of some flag football teams that I know. Yet, we did nothing to challenge their secondary. ALSO, Romo's fumble was key. So, IMO, the worst that can be said is that he was a lousy holder. AND let's not forget, that was his first season as a starter (only started at the half way point)...his first playoff game...and it was on the road. If the Seahawk game was won, there's no discussion about December's failures.

2007- THIS one bugs me. This team blew a GREAT opportunity. Zero urgency down the stretch. I feel a bit better that we lost to the Giants who were clearly on a roll...but the end of 2007 is a huge concern for me. That said, the conditions this year are different. The problem with 2007 is that this team had everything locked up, lost focus...and sleep walked through the last few weeks...That's not the case this year. The sense of urgency doesn't have to be manufactured this year. It's real.

So that's my take and I'm sticking to it. :D

You on Omega3 and ginko? Great post and the portion in bold is down right profound............

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
stasheroo;2459138 said:
I'm certainly hoping, but wins against San Francisco and Seattle are much different from wins against Pittsburgh and the NY Giants.

This team has done a lot to erode my own confidence in them but a win against the Steelers would go a long way toward restoring it.

Dont discount the wins over sf and seattle. Alot of people seem to be doing that.

I think that is offbase. We didnt beat them like we beat cincy, we manhandled them and kicked their tails, especially seattle.

I find it funny how when philly and ny beat seattle without hassleback, engram and branch it was described as philly and ny being focused and well coached, philly struggled with them most of the game. Then when we beat them with their better players on the field we are supposed to say oh well we should beat them.

The team created an identity for itself over the past 5 weeks. Hopefully it continues.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
theebs;2459146 said:
Dont discount the wins over sf and seattle. Alot of people seem to be doing that.

I think that is offbase. We didnt beat them like we beat cincy, we manhandled them and kicked their tails, especially seattle.

I find it funny how when philly and ny beat seattle without hassleback, engram and branch it was described as philly and ny being focused and well coached, philly struggled with them most of the game. Then when we beat them with their better players on the field we are supposed to say oh well we should beat them.

The team created an identity for itself over the past 5 weeks. Hopefully it continues.

Absolutely, Theebs. I couldn't be more happy with the quality of play this team is displaying. That's been my beef since the end of last season, play-offs and the begining of this season. We beat SF and Seattle soundly. Consistent defense, especially on third downs and a potent, error free offense. I would be ashamed to ask for more. Well 'cept for ST's which has improved ever-so-slightly.............

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
What would make me sick is if the Eagles run the table to go 10-5-1, and we are left out at 10-6.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I agree with Juke. The Dec thing has nothing to do with this team. As a player you don't think about losing when you step on the field and you sure as hell don't think about teams years past even if it's good to revisit it off the field.

This is a different team under different circumstances. The past has nothing to do with it. What matters is they have left themselves no wiggle room or at the least not a lot.

If we win out we are in and are a force to win it all. I like our chances. Teams that win SBs often go on a tear. This is their chance to go on a tear. I recognize how hard it is to beat teams with a .703 winning percentage.

But think of it this way. Sunday is a playoff game to get into the playoffs. Beat a team that they should be able to beat even on the road is not an insurmountable task. Win that one.

Then the Giants come to town. The aren't going to be playing for a shot at the playoffs. They're in essentially. They will be playing to beat the Cowboys and hopefully knock them out of the playoffs. That's still not the urgency of a playoff game although there is plenty of reasons to win. We're at home. We're fighting for our lives. I give us an edge.

Then Bal at home. A rookie QB who is very good but not ready for a big playoff win. Are the Ravens going to win the SB? Our offense is better. Our defense is good enough. Another Steeler game but against a less talented team with a rookie QB.

And then Philly. A team on the decline. McNabb off and on. They are no match for us. I suspect McNabb will be the QB but who knows. If they're out of it then they can only try to knock us out. Tough game but we should win it esp if our butts are on the line.

I like our chances. And I doubt Atl is going to win out. I am worried about them and I'm worried Car won't beat TB. We need to win and I'd really like to see Car beat TB. This week is going to narrow things down some.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Seven;2459145 said:
You on Omega3 and ginko? Great post and the portion in bold is down right profound............

I'm not gonna pay ya for this, ya know. ;)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
jobberone;2459174 said:
I agree with Juke. The Dec thing has nothing to do with this team. As a player you don't think about losing when you step on the field and you sure as hell don't think about teams years past even if it's good to revisit it off the field.

This is a different team under different circumstances. The past has nothing to do with it. What matters is they have left themselves no wiggle room or at the least not a lot.

If we win out we are in and are a force to win it all. I like our chances. Teams that win SBs often go on a tear. This is their chance to go on a tear. I recognize how hard it is to beat teams with a .703 winning percentage.

But think of it this way. Sunday is a playoff game to get into the playoffs. Beat a team that they should be able to beat even on the road is not an insurmountable task. Win that one.

Then the Giants come to town. The aren't going to be playing for a shot at the playoffs. They're in essentially. They will be playing to beat the Cowboys and hopefully knock them out of the playoffs. That's still not the urgency of a playoff game although there is plenty of reasons to win. We're at home. We're fighting for our lives. I give us an edge.

Then Bal at home. A rookie QB who is very good but not ready for a big playoff win. Are the Ravens going to win the SB? Our offense is better. Our defense is good enough. Another Steeler game but against a less talented team with a rookie QB.

And then Philly. A team on the decline. McNabb off and on. They are no match for us. I suspect McNabb will be the QB but who knows. If they're out of it then they can only try to knock us out. Tough game but we should win it esp if our butts are on the line.

I like our chances. And I doubt Atl is going to win out. I am worried about them and I'm worried Car won't beat TB. We need to win and I'd really like to see Car beat TB. This week is going to narrow things down some.

On the nosey. I agree with everything here.

I am so tired of the media and all the "December gloom and doom" stuff...especially when Campo's teams are counted in the mix.

I also agree with your assessment of the remaining games this year. I'll add in that Pittsburg's offense stinks. I'm not impressed with them. They have had six EASY games on their schedule. I'm not buying the hype. We'll see.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Juke99;2459188 said:
On the nosey. I agree with everything here.

I am so tired of the media and all the "December gloom and doom" stuff...especially when Campo's teams are counted in the mix.

I also agree with your assessment of the remaining games this year. I'll add in that Pittsburg's offense stinks. I'm not impressed with them. They have had six EASY games on their schedule. I'm not buying the hype. We'll see.

You da man! How's the training going?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
jobberone;2459192 said:
You da man! How's the training going?

I have great students...the owners on the other hand need much improvement.

:)