The problem with the defense is simple

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
When the LBers and Dlaw were beasting we had one of the best defenses in the league. We are paying Dlaw and Smith to cover up a lot of holes. The problem is they are no longer playing at the elite levels they were and LVE has been exposed.
Fans

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
There u go, offense was awful, lackluster and no innovation, and it doesnt fit dak at all. He should be running offense rams were.
Also special teams, didnt hurt, but also didnt help. There was one punt late in game, and dal had lamb back there, and he had room to take
off with it, but instead used fair catch. I noticed he shook his head afterward, and I wonder if he made that call or was told to just
fair catch it? A good return their could have changed the game.
They also were not balanced, 39 passes and I think 22 runs and elliot was getting some good runs.
I dont think kellen knows how a running game should be used, and too often they pass too much and pass when they should run.
I think he just picks a play at random, lol no master plan at all.
You can't run the ball much when your defense can't get off the field and your opponent is winning the time of possession 2 to 1 and scoring. At that point, you are forced to go pass heavy in order to catch up due to lack of time available.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The good news is LVE only has a broken collarbone. He'll be back to play later in the season. The bad news is Jaylon is not that great without LVE. The worst news is Mike Nolan is clueless on how to fix this team.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The defense allows the opponent to run a lot of plays, chew a lot of clock, and gain a lot of yards on a per drive basis and relies on unforced errors to help get them off the field. Usually our offense chews a lot of clock too so their season totals look better than the defense played because they defend fewer possessions than most other defenses around the league.

Blame it on players, coaches or a combination of both, but I have zero confidence in our defense’s ability to force the other team off the field. I just assume the other team will score unless our defense gets lucky.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You can't run the ball much when your defense can't get off the field and your opponent is winning the time of possession 2 to 1 and scoring. At that point, you are forced to go pass heavy in order to catch up due to lack of time available.
That is the common belief,but I dont agree with that.
A team has to drive the ball for a score, or your not going to win. If they need to run more to keep those drives going, or do better on 3rd downs
then that is what you do.
Dallas was pass happy the first half , and they were never behind by much, and had plenty of game left.

The only time to go mostly pass is late in 4th if your behind.

Hadenough

Reaction score
When the LBers and Dlaw were beasting we had one of the best defenses in the league. We are paying Dlaw and Smith to cover up a lot of holes. The problem is they are no longer playing at the elite levels they were and LVE has been exposed.
The defense fought their guts out and gave the offense three possessions at the end of the game. One of them squandered by going for it on 4th down and the other two pretty much nothing out of Dak but one offensive PI that everyone is using to excuse Dak.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The culture is dysfunctional.

It's not about winning in Dallas because you dont need to.

Ita about getting a second contract and endorsements.

They learn from Jerry that you dont need to win to get paid.

Mike McCarthy isnt going to be able to change that within the guys that have been here and only know the Garrett and Jerry show.

I realized that only this week and its awful.

Dont believe it? You'll see.
Totally agree! I would like to add that this team is so over hyped by its fans and sports writers that people act like this is a playoff team every year when its not. In reality the Cowboys in my book should not of been favored over the Rams. The team with the better QB and coach won that game.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The defense allows the opponent to run a lot of plays, chew a lot of clock, and gain a lot of yards on a per drive basis and relies on unforced errors to help get them off the field. Usually our offense chews a lot of clock too so their season totals look better than the defense played because they defend fewer possessions than most other defenses around the league.

Blame it on players, coaches or a combination of both, but I have zero confidence in our defense’s ability to force the other team off the field. I just assume the other team will score unless our defense gets lucky.

How much input does Edwards have?

he’s an excellent DC, trapped in his Senior Def Assistant role.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Welcome to the club. Been saying this for close to 5 years now. If fact, what I’ve been saying is that there is no one employed by the team that will still be there the next time Dallas wins a super bowl. My reason for thinking that was that the culture will not change as long as a Jones is in charge. Everyone wants to win but making the most money possible is placed above that and the players just follow suit. Once player get paid in Dallas they coast. There have been a few exceptions but not enough to win anything.

True stuff -- the lack of accountability in Cowboys' Country is and has been a constant problem for far too many years. Camp cupcake lives on! Jimmy Johnson was correct about the atmosphere being like a country club with this team. Hopefully, MM and his staff might find a way to curb that culture, once and for all. It inhibits everything the coaching tries to do to correct it, assuming they even try to do so. The Dallas FO sorely needs to encourage such an effort, at long last, even to the point of insisting upon it. I think they're too content basking in their prosperity, to the detriment of the team.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
But still, the point is that the play calling was different, and that's more like the play calling I want.
You may be on to something. Use Dak aggressively early to gain a lead and incorporate the run game later to run out the clock.

kskboys

Reaction score
Totally agree! I would like to add that this team is so over hyped by its fans and sports writers that people act like this is a playoff team every year when its not. In reality the Cowboys in my book should not of been favored over the Rams. The team with the better QB and coach won that game.
Not only that, the Rams were 9-7 last year, but people have this strange belief that they were like 3-13 or something. They beat NO and SEA, so it's not like they couldn't beat anyone.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not only that, the Rams were 9-7 last year, but people have this strange belief that they were like 3-13 or something. They beat NO and SEA, so it's not like they couldn't beat anyone.
Again, I don't think it's the loss as much as seeing the offense is still Garrett's.