The Psychology of Backup Quarterback

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hostile;2405255 said:
Brad "He Sucks" Johnson.

I wanted Beck in that Draft. Nothing has changed my opinion of him. Soild backup who could develop. It is a critical need.
Johnson does suck, and bad. We all agree on that.

But we can find some youngish competent backup without giving up a starting player. I know Henry isn't the greatest, and he frustrates me too with his lack of speed. But he can still help this team.

And I've barely seen Beck, but some people whose opinion I respect liked him coming out of college. But I'd still be wary of why Parcells immediately had no use for him. I'm no Parcells worshipper like some, but I do think he's usually pretty good at judging a QB's attitude and toughness, so I'd be wary of Beck for that reason.

I think the smart teams wait for the market to come to them, and that's what we should do next year. Some competent QB will be available as a backup for us if we just wait.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
THUMPER;2405149 said:
Hos, I normally agree with you but this time you are really out there my friend. Beck sucks! Horribly!

He played some last year and was terrible!

He played in 5 games and threw 1 TD and 3 INTs, had a 62.0 passer rating, was sacked 10 times and fumbled 7 times.

I fail to see any signs that he is "heady" or "has ability".

If this is the best that is available to us, God help us!

Beck was a Rookie dude.

If he can grasp an NFL Offense and has physical abilities than he can do well as a backup.

MrMom

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2405272 said:

But we can find some youngish competent backup without giving up a starting player. I know Henry isn't the greatest, and he frustrates me too with his lack of speed. But he can still help this team.

And I've barely seen Beck, but some people whose opinion I respect liked him coming out of college. But I'd still be wary of why Parcells immediately had no use for him. I'm no Parcells worshipper like some, but I do think he's usually pretty good at judging a QB's attitude and toughness, so I'd be wary of Beck for that reason.

I think the smart teams wait for the market to come to them, and that's what we should do next year. Some competent QB will be available as a backup for us if we just wait.

Exactly, and I'm not buying this crap of, "he's getting dumped on, because he's not his guy." Parcells and Co. are having no issues with using Porter, Will Allen, Ted Ginn, Ronnie Brown, Bell, Crowder, etc. If you can play, he's going to keep you.

As you said, there'll be plenty of backup qb options to go with. I just hope our braintrust isn't satisfied with Bollinger, but i'd be pissed if we gave anything for Beck.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2405272 said:

Henry will not be a starter and he will be high paid, plus he will be a UFA so we get something in return.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Well whoever we get better be able to scramble. It's always been that way here it seems...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2405242 said:

Both of you have good points but the question is what is available.

The NFL is all about the Quarterback.

If there isn't anything available than IMO you have to find someone to put behind Tony Romo so we don't end up in the same situation as this year.

If that means giving up Henry in the final year of his contract than so be it.

silver

Reaction score
The problem with our back up qb is that we had the chance to upgrade even before we signed Brad Johnson and whiffed. There are several back up types that have become available while we have been happy with Johnson. Kerry Collins, Gus Frerrote, Kurt Warner, Chad Pennington, JT Osullivan, Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese, Sage Rosenfels, Damon Huard, Byron Leftwhich, Patrick Ramsey and David Carr have all been free agents while we had Romo as the starter. All of them are better backups than Brad Johnson.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
silver;2405315 said:
The problem with our back up qb is that we had the chance to upgrade even before we signed Brad Johnson and whiffed. There are several back up types that have become available while we have been happy with Johnson. Kerry Collins, Gus Frerrote, Kurt Warner, Chad Pennington, JT Osullivan, Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese, Sage Rosenfels, Damon Huard, Byron Leftwhich, Patrick Ramsey and David Carr have all been free agents while we had Romo as the starter. All of them are better backups than Brad Johnson.
Exactly... Plenty of decent choices have been available. The problem wasn't that no one was out there, it was that we (RJ) seriously misjudged Brad Johnson's ability.

But the last thing you do is give away a starter for a team's third string QB.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silver;2405315 said:
I watched Leftwich for the Steelers on MNF and thought, "I wish that was our backup." If nothing else he may have trade value this off season.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2405320 said:
Exactly... Plenty of decent choices have been available. The problem wasn't that no one was out there, it was that we (RJ) seriously misjudged Brad Johnson's ability.

But the last thing you do is give away a starter for a team's third string QB.

We're not talking about a 27 year old player here.

IF nothing is available than you might have to make a small sacrifice.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Hostile;2405322 said:
I watched Leftwich for the Steelers on MNF and thought, "I wish that was our backup." If nothing else he may have trade value this off season.

They'd be fools to let him go or let Ben back in the line up:D

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CATCH17;2405328 said:
We're not talking about a 27 year old player here.

IF nothing is available than you might have to make a small sacrifice.

It's too late for this season anyway. Someone will be available in the offseason.

As for Leftwich, he only signed a one-year deal with Pitt. (Though he might be able to find a starting job with someone.)

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
CATCH17;2405308 said:
Both of you have good points but the question is what is available.

The NFL is all about the Quarterback.

If there isn't anything available than IMO you have to find someone to put behind Tony Romo so we don't end up in the same situation as this year.

If that means giving up Henry in the final year of his contract than so be it.

that is crazy talk.

You dont trade a starting cornerback, whether he will or wont or shouldnt start....HE IS starting, for a backup qb during a season.

I dont trust Jerry to find a Quarterback one iota and am no fan of wade wilson, so as bad as I want to see a young qb in here, Two actually, This would be total insanity.

Just pay henry and keep him, he will help. When everyone is healthy he can cover tight ends in the slot like he was going to with newman, jenkins and scandrick on the field.

Everyone wanted to trade kosier or release him for crying out loud, how are we doing without him. His contract is almost up too.

I think drafting a qb, signing a practice squad qb in the offseason and keeping bollinger is the way to go. You have to have numbers at qb because of the low percentage of finding one that can play.

but trading henry for John Beck would have been the worst move of the year and that is saying something considering this past offseason.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
People are apparently not getting it and over reacting.

Newman...injured

Jones...suspended

Means Anthony Henry was not going anywhere in a trade.

Newman...healthy

Jones...active

Means they could have rolled the dice to upgrade backup QB and Henry might have been considered expendable given we also drafted a CB in round 1.

Without Newman healthy and Jones active, it was not even considered.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
MrMom;2405289 said:
Exactly, and I'm not buying this crap of, "he's getting dumped on, because he's not his guy." Parcells and Co. are having no issues with using Porter, Will Allen, Ted Ginn, Ronnie Brown, Bell, Crowder, etc. If you can play, he's going to keep you.

As you said, there'll be plenty of backup qb options to go with. I just hope our braintrust isn't satisfied with Bollinger, but i'd be pissed if we gave anything for Beck.

Well, Parcells is god, so....? :rolleyes:

Anyway, Beck played at BYU which is mostly a passing team and Beck did pretty good there. Now, the offense for Dallas is is mostly a passing team with Romo so I think that Beck would be a good fit for this team.

Parcell's teams are mostly running teams and not over the top passing like Beck played in so maybe god does not like him for some reason? Maybe he did not kiss his butt, so...?

But I would bet that Beck is 10 time better then Bollenger(sp), who suck as bad as Check Down Johnson.

I'm in the crowd that thinks Beck would do pretty well as a backup with the Boyz.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hostile;2405112 said:
He has no future with his current team for only one reason. His "hands off Director of Football Operations" wants his guys in place and he was a Cam Cameron pick.

He's not a bad football player at all. Perfect backup, and his age is an advantage in some ways.

Bottom line is he is heady and has ability.

Man I don't know Hos. I'll defer to you on this one cause you've probably seen more of the guy that I have but the little I watched of him last year he was just absolutely dreadful. I know he was on a bad team, and I respect that and understand that, but man was he dreadful.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2405548 said:
Man I don't know Hos. I'll defer to you on this one cause you've probably seen more of the guy that I have but the little I watched of him last year he was just absolutely dreadful. I know he was on a bad team, and I respect that and understand that, but man was he dreadful.
I will admit to bias. I've known of (not known him personally) him since he was playing HS football here in Arizona and wowing people. He and I have a common friend. A guy named Jared.

[youtube]NCgH6sTEeP8[/youtube]

Mobility and some arm strength. On a decent Offense he could be a good backup.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hostile;2405564 said:
I will admit to bias. I've known of him since he was playing HS football here in Arizona and wowing people. He and I have a common friend. A guy named Jared.

[youtube]NCgH6sTEeP8[/youtube]

Mobility and some arm strength. On a decent Offense he could be a good backup.

It didn't take long in that video to see that he could clearly move around better than Brad and definately had a better arm. Then again I can move around better than Brad and I can throw it better than him too. Too bad I wasn't gifted with much else when it came to being a QB! lol