CFZ The QB market conundrum

diamonddelts

Reaction score
I see lots of complaining about QB #4 salary. However, the bigger problem seems to be the NFL "next man up" pay strategy for above average to top 10 qbs. It seems every 2-3 years a above average qb gets a monumental contract and other top 10 qbs coming off their previous deals have a "I'm next" mentality. So, no matter if the qb has a crumby playoff record and little to no division titles, they are getting commanding price in the range of 35 million and up.

Now I see all of these posts such as Dak is getting paid too much, we could have gotten someone else with the same results for cheaper. Now I don't disagree that Dak has needed cardiopulmonary resuscitation for choking in his last two divisional playoff appearances. But, Daks pay vs. pedestrian production in the playoffs is one fragment of a bigger problem in the league. Which is exploding salaries for average to above average qbs.

If this "I'm next" mentality continues what is the end point? Will qbs command 50, 70, or 90 million per year over the next five years? What about the next 10 years? How can this cannibalism of the team budget continue in a league with a hard salary cap? We have stats in now that show high paid qbs are not even making the playoffs, let alone a threat for any SB run. It is becoming apparent that paying QBs a huge amounts results in little to no playoff success. Yet teams are being pressured by top 10 qbs to give them their asking price or they will walk. So how should teams with supreme QBs such Burrow or Mahomes act if their superstar QB has leverage and threatened to leave. It may take up to ten years to get an equivalent QB talent in the draft. So I ask you zoners what would be your solutions for this conundrum?

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I see lots of complaining about QB #4 salary. However, the bigger problem seems to be the NFL "next man up" pay strategy for above average to top 10 qbs. It seems every 2-3 years a above average qb gets a monumental contract and other top 10 qbs coming off their previous deals have a "I'm next" mentality. So, no matter if the qb has a crumby playoff record and little to no division titles, they are getting commanding price in the range of 35 million and up.

Now I see all of these posts such as Dak is getting paid too much, we could have gotten someone else with the same results for cheaper. Now I don't disagree that Dak has needed cardiopulmonary resuscitation for choking in his last two divisional playoff appearances. But, Daks pay vs. pedestrian production in the playoffs is one fragment of a bigger problem in the league. Which is exploding salaries for average to above average qbs.

If this "I'm next" mentality continues what is the end point? Will qbs command 50, 70, or 90 million per year over the next five years? What about the next 10 years? How can this cannibalism of the team budget continue in a league with a hard salary cap? We have stats in now that show high paid qbs are not even making the playoffs, let alone a threat for any SB run. It is becoming apparent that paying QBs a huge amounts results in little to no playoff success. Yet teams are being pressured by top 10 qbs to give them their asking price or they will walk. So how should teams with supreme QBs such Burrow or Mahomes act if their superstar QB has leverage and threatened to leave. It may take up to ten years to get an equivalent QB talent in the draft. So I ask you zoners what would be your solutions for this conundrum?
QB's dont take up a larger percentage of cap space than they have in Romo's era.

The problem with Daks contract is that its cost prohibitive to move on. Its structured to be spread out through voidable years. If you dont do that, you are taking a massive 48 million cap hit this year. There plan when they structured the deal was to never do that.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Build a team like the Niners and treat the QB like a RB and keep drafting them without giving them a second contract.
Yea pluck them off one of those QB and RB trees everyone talks about pluck some Olinemen and NT;s at the same time This aint Madden!

diamonddelts

Reaction score

Cap Allocation: Active Roster​

RANKTEAMPLAYERS2023 CAP DOLLARSAVG CAP DOLLARS% OF 2023 ADJ. CAP
1CLE2$56,127,856$28,063,92822.22%
2DAL2$50,210,000$25,105,00021.93%
3KC1$46,793,381$46,793,38120.95%
4BUF2$40,712,281$20,356,14117.96%
5IND3$39,778,559$13,259,52017.17%
6TEN2$37,772,750$18,886,37516.65%
7TB2$36,613,637$18,306,81916.08%
8GB3$36,433,757$12,144,58616.08%
9MIN1$36,250,000$36,250,00016.08%
10LV2$35,745,000$17,872,50015.43%
11DET1$30,650,000$30,650,00013.49%
12WAS3$28,076,870$9,358,95712.18%
13DEN1$22,000,000$22,000,0009.34%
14ARI2$21,007,000$10,503,5009.34%
15LAR1$20,000,000$20,000,0008.87%
16ATL4$17,673,855$4,418,4647.68%
17NO2$16,610,000$8,305,0007.38%
18PIT2$13,822,251$6,911,1266.02%
19JAC3$11,534,588

Zman5

Reaction score
That was never SF's plan. They gave up a ton for Lance. They weren't moving on from Garapollo because of money, but because they won in spite of him
Yeh I know. What I mean is to build a team like them where you can win with lower tier QB that can be drafted in a lower round and keep replacing them.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeh I know. What I mean is to build a team like them where you can win with lower tier QB that can be drafted in a lower round and keep replacing them.
What is going on with them in a anomaly. You can't on that happening even with a good roster. Find starting QB's beyond the 2nd us exceptionally rare. It's just not a philosophy you can expect success from

diamonddelts

Reaction score
San Francisco got lucky. Look at Shanahan record without Garoppalo before this year.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
QB's dont take up a larger percentage of cap space than they have in Romo's era.

The problem with Daks contract is that its cost prohibitive to move on. Its structured to be spread out through voidable years. If you dont do that, you are taking a massive 48 million cap hit this year. There plan when they structured the deal was to never do that.
Don't speak reality to them. It's amazing that they don't see this, when the team did this exact same thing with romo

conner01

Reaction score

Salaries in general are a product of revenue
They are all going up because revenue keeps going up. QB’s are the highest because in general QB’s are the highest position to find a top 10 type player at. Those top 10 types at other positions hit the market more often
As long as revenue continues to rise so will salaries and most of all QB salaries

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 of the 4 QB's left in the playoffs are on their rookie deals.

What do you think is going to happen when they are up?

Exactly!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This all began when they gave Cousins that 28M x 3 guaranteed contract. That, opened the gate and Deshaun Watson walked right through it....dirty baggage and all.

If a mid level QB can demand that what can a better QB demand in a league with too many teams and not enough good players? The options are limited and WAS let him walk and have been searching for a QB since.

The Cowboys have an additional problem with Prescott. He has lot of fans and he is the team's Man of the Year nominee.

Don't think of fans like us but the everyday fan than doesn't spend their time here commiserating in 27 seasons of futility. Believe it or not but there are a lot of Cowboys fans glad Prescott is their QB, a lot. There are still some here.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This all began when they gave Cousins that 28M x 3 guaranteed contract. That, opened the gate and Deshaun Watson walked right through it....dirty baggage and all.

If a mid level QB can demand that what can a better QB demand in a league with too many teams and not enough good players? The options are limited and WAS let him walk and have been searching for a QB since.

The Cowboys have an additional problem with Prescott. He has lot of fans and he is the team's Man of the Year nominee.

Don't think of fans like us but the everyday fan than doesn't spend their time here commiserating in 27 seasons of futility. Believe it or not but there are a lot of Cowboys fans glad Prescott is their QB, a lot. There are still some here.
I remember back before that with Romo. Fans were in a frenzy over his salary.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember back before that with Romo. Fans were in a frenzy over his salary.
And after that deal was done, Booger revealed one of his flaws as a GM. When asked about the contract, his response was "Romo is getting paid better; he will play better" and I do think he believes that.

Now, he is trying to get his QB to live up to that contract and maybe that's the root of the problem with the turnovers. Prescott doesn't just feel the pressure of being the DC QB, his owner wants him to be in the upper echelon of QB's. Show his quality that he's worth all that money.

Ya know, Booger is like being in the good ole boys clan and having a trophy wife because you ain't nuthin' if you don't have one. Only he envies the owners with prettier wives. It's all ego.

JayFord

Reaction score
Build a team like the Niners and treat the QB like a RB and keep drafting them without giving them a second contract.
you do this and youll be staring down the barrell of 3-14

they drafted Lance to be the franchise qb for the next 12 years and got lucky with Purdy

Zman5

Reaction score
you do this and youll be staring down the barrell of 3-14

they drafted Lance to be the franchise qb for the next 12 years and got lucky with Purdy
I'm just answering the what if question. Not saying thats the right answer to build a team but to build a team that can win with out paying big for a qb.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
And after that deal was done, Booger revealed one of his flaws as a GM. When asked about the contract, his response was "Romo is getting paid better; he will play better" and I do think he believes that.

Now, he is trying to get his QB to live up to that contract and maybe that's the root of the problem with the turnovers. Prescott doesn't just feel the pressure of being the DC QB, his owner wants him to be in the upper echelon of QB's. Show his quality that he's worth all that money.

Ya know, Booger is like being in the good ole boys clan and having a trophy wife because you ain't nuthin' if you don't have one. Only he envies the owners with prettier wives. It's all ego.
We all know what it will take for him to change....

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Simple solution I've said it for years!! Make it a cap at a certain number example highest contract for top QB is 30 million and anyone close or below a top would be paid lower obviously

DE cap their number off at like 15 million, top guys get 15 bosa, Garret, watt etc Micah

Left tackle 13 million Trent Williams etc they get 13 million anyone else gets less