The Quarterback Game

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys have drafted a QB in the top three rounds only once since Jimmy Johnson left.

They need to make a commitment to drafting a QB in the top three rounds once every three years. It is extremely rare to find a franchise QB lower than that and the Cowboys have done this two starters in a row.

This would foster improvement through competition, give the Cowboys negotiation leverage, and potentially create great trade value. The best value at QB is a young but talented player on their rookie contract.

If they draft a QB every 3 years then they have a rookie and a 4th year quarterback. If the 4th year QB does well, you give him a contract that has been leveraged with the fact that the team could always go with the rookie entering his 2nd season.

Brax

Reaction score

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s better to be awful than to lock yourself into mediocrity.

It’s too hard to win with a highly paid QB who is mediocre. That’s what we have to attempt to do.

6 seasons we have nothing to show for Dak and after his 1st season of being paid and the best team he will likely ever be on he is 1 and done in the post season.
Prescott has the fix himself. He can be cut in two years, and if we havent won in the playoffs, I dont think they keep him long term.

In the mean time, you have to build him around him. You cant fix him, but you fix that. And if he proves he isnt worth a 3rd contract, you have it in place for the next guy

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ask yourself a question first. The last Super Bowl we won, where was that QB drafted? The guys competing for Super Bowls now, one was drafted in the 6th round, you willing to do that? One was drafted in the 2nd round, and the rest were 1st rounders. Now which is more likely to succeed in this scenario, the 4th, the 6th, the 2nd, or would you prefer a 1st rounder? And depending on your answers will tell me what type of football IQ you possess.

Ouch.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That is the game they all play and only a few hit the jackpot and the others are faced with the dilemma of what do at that position.

Do we think PHL wants to go forward with Hurts or CLE with Mayfield? What's the alternative?

When Prescott was up, they wanted to keep him because they'd already made him a star and if they were honest, they are a lot luckier than good at finding QB's.

Lawrence and Herbert look like the real deal but what about L. Jackson, Fields, Tua, Z. Wilson, Lock, Goff, Wentz and Jones is going to need as much help as Tannehill in TEN.

Their teams want a boatload for Watson and Wilson and a GM still has to have the team around them.

What alternative to Prescott was there for this team? Brady? What makes anyone think he would choose Dallas over any other team especially TB? Money wasn't his bait, another ring was.

Most teams have to settle at QB and that is exactly what the Cowboys did.

Most teams are going to pay the QB more that they want but that's the nest they made with their rules. They either have to have a Brady, Mahomes or Rodgers or a 2nd tier QB and have the support for him. Or just keep picking QB's.

And let's place the blame where it goes, their mistake was not doing that deal, it was failing to keep the OL up and failures in the draft with Biadasz, McGovern and Williams because this is a QB that needs protection and time. And a run game and that circles right back to this OL.

mostly agree been saying that all year and especially since Sunday ,..

open their eyes to reshuffling and retooling he Ol whether its moving a player or two around and then maybe some off this last draft or two like Farinok(G or C) and Ball(lt or RT) can start contributing. let Cwill walk and what not..can Steele start at LT or RT , move LC to LG? make TS the swing tackle or let him retire gracefully??

to begin a New Offensive line coach is necessary IMO

maybe new OC and new offense then shuffle the OL to the new offensive scheme. Who knows but that an issue no consistent pocket, rare run lanes, and far too many penalties?

so yes Dak and this offense needs new voice and new vison time to take the training wheels off ie Dak friendly, the reason KM was kept but new might be what this team needs.

worked on defense why not the offense?

GINeric

Reaction score

Great list!! Now I noticed Peyton Manning and Drew Brees weren't on that list. So if they were Cowboys quarterbacks, I guess they would have been labeled as average according to some.

With that said, there's a few quarterbacks on that list that Dak is better than.

Brax

Reaction score
Great list!! Now I noticed Peyton Manning and Drew Brees weren't on that list. So if they were Cowboys quarterbacks, I guess they would have been labeled as average according to some.

With that said, there's a few quarterbacks on that list that Dak is better than.
No doubt Dak is better than some it was just a list for your viewing, As for PM and DB both were on really bad teams the first few years if I remember correctly and I think PM lost to TB in a few CCG's in year 4 or 5. Sorry if I missed any. Have a nice offseason.