The Rams with a historic rookie class

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
If the way a team wins a Lombardi is “lame”, then I wanna be lame. Winning a championship is THE goal. No matter what it takes to get there. 50 years from now, no one will call that Rams championship lame.
No, but 25 years from now they'll be saying "they haven't done anything since they won the SB and nothing will change because the owners are the same!!!!!"

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Or Ronnie Stanley, Leonard Floyd, Ryan Kelly, Taylor Decker, Kenny Clark, Laremy Tunsil, DeForest Buckner. Pointing at one draftee that didn't work out doesn't mean you shouldn't have traded back.
I'm just telling you what I think we would have done. We tried to trade back into the first for Lynch, so if we traded down, he most likely would have been the target. There were certainly some good players we could have traded down for, and there were some big misses that we could have traded down for. Overall, I agree with the premise of trading down slightly to pick up more picks.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If you are completely trying to reset your roster \ cap like they are, that's fine.

If you are more competitive & trying to get those 3-5 players that can make the roster, do what you can to get the players that have the best chance of hitting.

I hate drafts where you pick a bunch of folks. You are only going to get a short time to evaluate them and they can't all make your roster. What good is it to be pick a guy who needs some development time but you don't have a place to carry him?
I don't know. I think there's a lot of trash in the draft, and we've seen over time that it is difficult even for pro scouts to filter out all the trash. Overall, I think the more shots you take, the better chance you have to hit the target. However, like with everything, that has to be tempered. Trading all your picks to have 30 seventh-round picks isn't going to improve your chances of success. And trading down just to trade down instead of taking a blinking light that's available isn't going to necessarily improve the quality of your roster.

morat1959

Reaction score
Speaking of….

Bold prediction, and I want props when it hits lol….Rams make Donald available at the deadline. Two firsts lands him.

If we start well and aren’t seriously hurt by the injury bug, do you do it? I would for a guy that would take the team over the top. I don’t think the FO would though at that price, and of course that would throw off cap boys delicate manipulation of the spending limit.
Gonna need all the one’s we can get when JJ finally pulls the trigger to get one of 2 stud QBs coming out next year. I know I’m dreaming but there’s always hope.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't know. I think there's a lot of trash in the draft, and we've seen over time that it is difficult even for pro scouts to filter out all the trash. Overall, I think the more shots you take, the better chance you have to hit the target. However, like with everything, that has to be tempered. Trading all your picks to have 30 seventh-round picks isn't going to improve your chances of success. And trading down just to trade down instead of taking a blinking light that's available isn't going to necessarily improve the quality of your roster.
Simply not the way it works. Having more picks in rounds 1 and 2 is always preferable.

kskboys

Reaction score
Gonna need all the one’s we can get when JJ finally pulls the trigger to get one of 2 stud QBs coming out next year. I know I’m dreaming but there’s always hope.
Absolutely not w/i reach.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Speaking of….

Bold prediction, and I want props when it hits lol….Rams make Donald available at the deadline. Two firsts lands him.

If we start well and aren’t seriously hurt by the injury bug, do you do it? I would for a guy that would take the team over the top. I don’t think the FO would though at that price, and of course that would throw off cap boys delicate manipulation of the spending limit.
There’s one big problem with this scenario: have you seen the details of Aaron Donald’s contract? He has a $26 million cap hit next year. What team can afford to make that work under the cap? Not Dallas.
Here are the details of AD’s contract. He’s guaranteed over $90 mil…AND….he also has a NO TRADE clause.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/aaron-donald-14422/

fivetwos

Reaction score
There’s one big problem with this scenario: have you seen the details of Aaron Donald’s contract? He has a $26 million cap hit next year. What team can afford to make that work under the cap? Not Dallas.
Here are the details of AD’s contract. He’s guaranteed over $90 mil…AND….he also has a NO TRADE clause.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/aaron-donald-14422/
Well I did mention the contract. You know those things can be re-worked to work for now…if need be. Just not sure if it’s allowed during the season.

Moot as can be, because this FO would never do it, but I do think the Rams start selling players in early October. One thing they understand quite well there…if you can’t win the whole thing, don’t bother trying to be mediocre, and they won’t…and they will be back sooner than later because of it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I did mention the contract. You know those things can be re-worked to work for now…if need be. Just not sure if it’s allowed during the season.

Moot as can be, because this FO would never do it, but I do think the Rams start selling players in early October. One thing they understand quite well there…if you can’t win the whole thing, don’t bother trying to be mediocre, and they won’t…and they will be back sooner than later because of it.
The No Trade clause is big. Most HOF/superstar players like AD are very reluctant to accept trades late in their careers unless they are unhappy or really ready for a change of scenery (like Aaron Rodgers) ADs contract guarantees also make it very difficult for most teams to acquire that contract.

All that to say regardless of how the rams play up to the trade deadline next season, I would consider extremely unlikely that Aaron Donald gets traded to any team. And especially Dallas. Now maybe some other players…maybe.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The No Trade clause is big. Most HOF/superstar players like AD are very reluctant to accept trades late in their careers unless they are unhappy or really ready for a change of scenery (like Aaron Rodgers) ADs contract guarantees also make it very difficult for most teams to acquire that contract.

All that to say regardless of how the rams play up to the trade deadline next season, I would consider extremely unlikely that Aaron Donald gets traded to any team. And especially Dallas. Now maybe some other players…maybe.
The NTC is about the player having control over a trade. It doesn’t mean they would never agree to it.

I’m sure they’d come to him and say they are gonna tear it down, and we can move you to a team that has a shot at a ring. It helps us both. They give him about a million in ‘moving expenses’ and off he goes.

The player is in full control, and it’ll come down to what he wants to do. He may say he would quit first, but that screws the Rams, who have taken care of him quite well.

For the sake of putting a moot to begin with point to rest…I’ll predict that the Rams get to the point where they wish to trade Aaron Donald by October.